"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

A nice IXL pen blade from LongBlade, and wonderful example in that Butler horseman's knife from Mike R.

Here is another old Butler model with a single sheep foot blade. A good sized knife with a handle length of 4-1/2 inches.

View attachment 932085

A real beauty, and it powerfully shows the beauty of English knives when they were at the top of their game, albeit long,long ago...The proportions are impressive, outstanding Stag and very interesting kick. What draws me as well is the bolster, not too big and it looks quite unusual, no doubt there is a proper term for it but it appears like a pinched Rat-Tail to me:cool::D Note the discrete nail nick too.

Great old leather bag that, is it a special type?

Thanks, Will

Thanks for bringing this great thread back up to the top guys, wonderful Sheffield knives being shown!

I had posted this one in the Old Knives thread when I found it but it belongs here, unused Joseph Rodgers stag congress with its original wrap, probably my favorite vintage knife.

IMG_7833.jpg IMG_7840.jpg IMG_7848.jpg IMG_7859.jpg IMG_7863.jpg

George Butler. From a friend that knows way more than I do. "Tweedale's book says the Butler firm dates back to before 1774, and GEORGE Butler became boss and namesake circa 1837. Butler's acquired the ART (in the oval on the pile side of the blades) word mark in 1861. However, ENGLAND dates this knife after 1890, and the high quality construction suggests before 1915."
Levine's says the KEY mark was from Steer & Webster 1867. On the downside, someone was either very bad at sharpening or cleaned the blades. I'm still working on getting everything to open and close without a knife pick.

pOu1DWJ.jpg

wbJmS17.jpg

jmwjajb.jpg

caPDKoi.jpg

8PYKnlO.jpg

sFOIqMM.jpg
Real nice one, Mike!!

Thanks for bringing this great thread back up to the top guys, wonderful Sheffield knives being shown!

I had posted this one in the Old Knives thread when I found it but it belongs here, unused Joseph Rodgers stag congress with its original wrap, probably my favorite vintage knife.

View attachment 932180 View attachment 932181 View attachment 932182 View attachment 932183 View attachment 932184

Beautiful knife! I've seen none like it! A pleasure to look at and the packaging is charming as well, thanks for sharing!

I've got to start stalking antique stores and flea markets. You guys are knocking me out with these old beauties :thumbsup: :D

Ray

Thanks Campbellclanman, waynorth, and Will Power, and the leather bag is an old document carrier.

Great old Sheffield folders, Augie, waynorth, and Blake the Blade.

Nice Charlie! That swedge sure takes a sweeping turn. Never seen one like it.
That "sweep" is a spud for teasing open the bark, to insert a bud Mike!
The snap to open position is quite stout for safety, because the spud might see occasional use "backwards"!

Back