Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Here is the first knife I ever sold (i regret letting it leave the shop, but it was sold to a friend, so oh well.):

Maple dyed black with aniline, and an old leaf spring blade. Just a general use Herb Chopper.
75cb808d-85d9-4ce1-8def-0d74ecf3ca4c_orig.jpg

and a not-so-great picture of one of my best knives IMO after about a year of use (loving that patina)
IMG_20190611_105411.jpg

O1 blade with Olive wood + Walnut handles. This one was my take on a utility blade

Still nowhere near perfect, but this was a number of years ago, I've made better, but don't have them with me to snap a photo

Last edited:
I've been playing with 26C3 carbon steel from @Alpha Knife Supply and I've been pleased with the high hardness attained with this steel. It can easily get to RC67-68 out of the quench and plays well at RC63-64 after temper. It's a little different to create hamon with it as opposed to W2 but still produces. I switched to Satanite from Rutland's after the first one and have liked it better. Here's a few that I've finished up.

My first one:

mKgQeFil.jpg

The next two:

IZ0gsM6l.jpg

fWcyb43l.jpg

I've been playing with 26C3 carbon steel from @Alpha Knife Supply and I've been pleased with the high hardness attained with this steel. It can easily get to RC67-68 out of the quench and plays well at RC63-64 after temper. It's a little different to create hamon with it as opposed to W2 but still produces. I switched to Satanite from Rutland's after the first one and have liked it better. Here's a few that I've finished up.

My first one:

mKgQeFil.jpg

The next two:

IZ0gsM6l.jpg

fWcyb43l.jpg
absolutely beautiful! Have you seen Walter Sorrel's method of polishing Hamons? I think you may find it useful..

absolutely beautiful! Have you seen Walter Sorrel's method of polishing Hamons? I think you may find it useful..
Thank you! I haven't seen his video. I'll check it out.
The hamon producing technique I have learned comes from discussions with @J.Doyle and @kuraki

Back