Man, this is unfortunate

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well, this happens sometimes. Unfortunately, I burned the glue around one of the pins on this Woodsman. Its unsellable trash. So, I'll definitely get to keep it. Its got some really gorgeous, and high $, stabalized Malle Fruit Burl scales. The liner is black paper micarta. It was slated to be the contest prize. Now, if we get the ten participants, I'll have to make another.

op102_1652-vi.jpg

op102_1653-vi.jpg

op102_1654-vi.jpg

unfort102_1669-vi.jpg

Man that is sad... if you need to send it to someone for proper disposal...

I just saw the title of this thread and thought, "I JUST left. What the hell could have possibly happened since then?" hahaha. That's why I'm into black micarta these days. You can't see that particular f@#$up when it's finished. :D

just burn the glue around the pin on the other side, and make it even....then you can say thats the way its supposed to look! haha

Man, your trash looks so much better than many production knives brand new! :D

I saw it in the other thread and when you referred to it as ''the dud'' I figured you had to be joking. If you ignore the burn though, I think it was the best of this last batch.

am i blind? that doesnt look bad at all. just a little dark, thats all.
the saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure" comes to mind :eek:

Last edited:
No biggie, I saw a custom knife that sold for $3K that looked like it had gotten hot around one of the pins.
Does this really cause any problems other than cosmetic? Does the wood or rivet become brittle or something?

I was told by a mechanical engineer I worked with that the epoxy would re-harden as it cooled. But who knows. Its a flaw because seasoned makers should avoid it. Cosmetic, but a frowned upon cosmetic flaw in the knifeworld.

Andy,
I hate to see stuff like that happen, but what can you do? Why don't you let me send you out another block for free, and then at least you'll have a head start on another contest knife down the road?

Heres a couple pics. If you like this one, just say the word and I will get it in the mail to you. :D

Larry

100_3303.jpg

100_3304.jpg

Shaugnessy, I'll take it. But I'll pay for it, maybe 4 of em? I liked that stuff. Its really a mistake I shouldn't have made. Its lumps, and I can handle em.

Back