Man, this is unfortunate

Andy, a fine knife maker such as yourself shouldn't even keep such a ruined piece around the house or shop. If you'd like to get it out of your sight I'd be willing to pay half price for it. :D I promise no one I know will notice the flaw.

Andy,
Let me see what I have left, and I will let ya know. This one's on me, but if you want a few more I'd be happy to work it out with you, depending on how many I have. :D

Larry

I'm sorry but calling something like that "unsellable trash" is just stupid. You know it's not trash. I can hardly even see the mistake, and most people wouldn't be able to see it. Either a lack of self respect or trying for attention and praise in a negative way, I don't know.

But don't lie and say a nice knife like that is trash. There's nothing wrong with it. :)

I'm sorry but calling something like that "unsellable trash" is just stupid. You know it's not trash. I can hardly even see the mistake, and most people wouldn't be able to see it. Either a lack of self respect or trying for attention and praise in a negative way, I don't know.

But don't lie and say a nice knife like that is trash. There's nothing wrong with it. :)

Yea. Trash was probably an exaggeration. But it isn't up to QC standards. How's that?

Wow! That's pretty harsh for post #1 (or just a response to this thread). Show a little more respect for the maker please. Andy doesn't showboat and is a rather tough critic of his own work.

Last edited:
mymindisamob said:
Wow! That's pretty harsh for post #1 (or just a response to this thread). Show a little more respect for the maker please. Andy doesn't showboat and is a rather tough critic of his own work.

That's what I'm saying. He's a fine knife maker and shouldn't be that tough of a critic on himself. It's not disrespect, I'm complimenting him. But when you get to the point where you can turn out a great piece like that and still look at it in disgust, it's time to take it a little more easy on yourself. That is all

No big deal guys. ZA was right. The knife isn't trash, its just not right. Its hard to go easy on yourself though. As I strive, I've gotta reject these, and I guess I'm doing OK at this particular flaw, because its been a while. Truth is, I've got to surpass y'alls expectations, or I sink. I love doing it too. Its really been a blessing.

You know what, I like that he is tougher on himself than we are. Just knowing that he is so stringent on QC makes me want to buy more. :cool:

Nice gesture Shaughnessy:thumbup:

Andy - Any chance the wood could be dyed in any way?? I think it would be a crying shame not to let it go....but I think you did it on purpose!! Its gorgeous, I'd wanna keep on to t too!

Frankly, I don't know jack, but the little black "accent" around the pin looks right at home on a knife with black liners and black bullseye lanyard!

That's a really nice knife that I wish I were "unfortunate" enough to own. :) My video is nearly ready though. :p

That's what I'm saying. He's a fine knife maker and shouldn't be that tough of a critic on himself. It's not disrespect, I'm complimenting him. But when you get to the point where you can turn out a great piece like that and still look at it in disgust, it's time to take it a little more easy on yourself. That is all

:thumbup:

Andy,

Take your name off of it and sell it to the secret society of Fiddleback owners who often have black rings around one of their pins......

Just a thought :)

Seriously - just received very slightly used Bushcrafter in Curly Hickory over EIRW

http://images52.fotki.com/v1554/photos/8/1214808/7248981/bu100_0761-vi.jpg

Beautiful workmanship!

Randy

That's what I was getting at. I'd like to be one of the charter members of the Black Ring Fiddleback Secret Society. :D No one has to know the name of the maker or the price I paid for such a flawed knife.

Another story about Andy's perfectionist personality -I recently sold my hunter and the buyer asked that the knife ship to Andy for spa treatment. Andy noticed a flaw and offered to rehandle the knife! I never noticed anything wrong with it and the knife was virtually unused. Another reason he gets a big thumbs up. Class act!

You guys think it's hard on Andy, having the quality standards he has for himself? Imagine learning from him. You've got some big shoes to fill when you're learning from the master of all that is handles. lol I drilled the pin and lanyard holes in a knife I'm making and he says, "that one is a little off." I said, "you're crazy." Homeboy broke out the micrometer and measured it. It was like 25/1000th's off! Are you kidding me? 25/1000th's!!, ...BUT Knowing that he was right and he is the master, I said, "ok. Show me how to do it right from now on." That's one of the great things about learning from someone like Andy. His quality standards push yours.

Ok. I'm done brown-nosing now. Back to the day job.

Andy, you're a perfectionist my friend and I love that about you. Just don't use that same measuring stick with my work, please.:eek:
I've (unfortunately) turned out a whole lot bigger cosmetic flaws than that and probably will in the future even though I'm trying to do better.
Good call, I respect your attention to detail man.
Iz

Back