Manix 2 in Maxamet !

The blade looks like it has a standard tumbled finish. It looks great in person.

the tumbled finish is probably there to protect it from patina/rust i would hope. thats such a good idea if so.

the tumbled finish is probably there to protect it from patina/rust i would hope. thats such a good idea if so.

The finish is puzzling. I bought a used Manix 2 (154CM) about 3 years ago and it had the polished/tumbled finish. It was actually hard to determine what the finish was- it appears to be tumbled but yet it has a shiny character to it as if it might have been lightly tumbled and then tumbled with something that polishes it. My next few Manix models were Manix 2 with M4 steel, LW Manix 2 with S110V steel and Manix 2 XL with S90V steel. All 3 of these were satin ground finishes. The M4 and S110V are fairly fine finishes, the S90V was a coarse finish. I now have a Manix 2 XL DLC and its blade is very smooth. I don't think the coating is thick and you can't see any machining through it so they probably tumble those before coating.

I don't know if the tumbled finish resists corrosion better than a fine satin finish, I would think it wouldn't matter. I like a nice machined satin finish best. I really dislike a coarse tumbled finish, the seems like a manufacturer is using the tumbling to hide their poor quality grinds. The Spyderco shiny tumbled finish is somewhere in between and is reasonably attractive. I have an older knife with bead blast finish on its ATS34 blade and it stains badly because stuff can get down into the little openings in the finish and you can't clean it out. I'm not going to buy one of those again.

your probably right. but if it were acid stonewashed, that would actually help resist rust.

can the native 5 LW MAXAMET blade be removed? or is that the same as the manix2 LW MAXAMET?

spyderco made a real design flaw here, but maybe I'm just overtly concerned about oiling high carbon blades and tangs?

can the native 5 LW MAXAMET blade be removed? or is that the same as the manix2 LW MAXAMET?

spyderco made a real design flaw here, but maybe I'm just overtly concerned about oiling high carbon blades and tangs?

If you look at the Native 5 LW, it actually has 3 screws that can be removed, and some sort of a pin holding the backlock's bar in place. If you remove said screws, I'm not sure if that pin will float so to speak, and allow the handles to move apart enough to slip a blade in and out. Has anyone tried this? Simply theory on my behalf, and I've had no need to attempt it on my plain jane N5.

..., but maybe I'm just overtly concerned about oiling high carbon blades and tangs?

If I can't damage an 812hs folder with gobs of dirt, dust, sand, salt, bone ash, blood, guts, acids, caustics, and other unknown things over a period of 15 years, I doubt you can either, barring gross negligence.

Looks like we're in luck. You got me curious so I just now tried, it was very easy.

IMG_7866e.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine a week ago, cut a bit of +100 cuts of wood(didn't have any oak handy sorry guys) and+150 cuts in cardboard(had beeen stored outside and was visibly dirty) still catches nail,slice phbk.paper,and shave armhair-I really like the steel and am loving the Manix LW platform.

How are some of you getting yours already? Every site I've checked still has them in the "Pre-Order" or "Coming Soon" state. How are some dealers getting them ahead of others??
I pre-ordered on KW and haven't received any word yet...

@bearfacedkiller, that first pic is literally making me want to sell some blades and chase the Maxamet dragon!

How are some of you getting yours already? Every site I've checked still has them in the "Pre-Order" or "Coming Soon" state. How are some dealers getting them ahead of others??
I pre-ordered on KW and haven't received any word yet...

I had the same question so I called KW and they told me that they receive and distribute them as they come in, but that they only receive small batches of 5-10 at a time (kinda weird eh). If you call them they can tell you where you are in the queue and roughly when you can expect to receive it.

Back