Manix 2 Titanium cage

Looks very nice! It still seems unnecessary and I worry about galling but I’m sure it will give a more solid feel than the plastic one.

So I found someone else who makes cages. I ended up getting 2. They both look white except they glow, one green and one blue. I did have to work on them to make them work but it was really a minimal amount of work. One the hole was too small to accept the ball, and the other was that the corners were too square so I had to round them a bit to make it fit the shape of the liners.
05DFA587-A78E-4BD7-8F1E-B2FB182296E2.jpeg 9A29D806-19EC-48D4-A521-D69E5FFDCADE.jpeg

I saw those glow cages as well. I assume they are 3D printed? The price was decent.
Yes I believe that’s what it said in the description. I thought they were cheap enough to give them a try. I got 2 and both needed work to make them fit. They were both too square to work properly and both needed to be drilled out to make the ball fit. For the price I’m okay with that. Also they don’t glow for very long either.

Any updates on how these are working out for y'all? I'm considering one.

I just installed the Flytanium Ti one in my Manix 2XL. I like it. I do notice some slight “ticking” (not grittiness) when the Ti contacts the steel liner which wasn’t present with the plastic one, but I do like the overall feel, aggressiveness of the grooves, and the appearance better. Function is exactly the same.

But why no black colored one? I’d like to have it but want my murdered out Manix 2 to stay murdered out.....

Has anyone installed it with a ceramic ball bearing ?

Yes, all of mine got ceramic balls. (Look for "3/16 Inch Si3N4 Silicon Nitride Ceramic Ball Bearings G5-5 Balls" ...)

Works well, of course we don't know yet how they'll work in the long-term.

Has any one tried the Aluminum ball cage? Any issues with either titanium or the aluminum rubbing up against the liners/steel?

Thanks,
Cal.

Has any one tried the Aluminum ball cage? Any issues with either titanium or the aluminum rubbing up against the liners/steel?

Thanks,
Cal.

I just installed the flytanium titanium ball cage, ceramic ball bearing, spring with less tension and flytanium titanium scales. Ball cage rubbed bad on the bottom of the ti scales, so much so i had to sand down the bottom of the ball cages on both sides. I emailed flytanium and they said there would be a break in period (the ball cage rubbed so bad it stuck in the open position) but they did mention I could sand it down a bit. Works great now.

Sounds like a great idea. I've read of a few broken plastic cages so it is good to know that parts are available for repair if needed. I would need a bulk discount though since I have 7 Manix 2 (4 are riveted LW version).

I installed 5 without issue. Not only looks a lot better but also functions much better (for me anyway). I can get a better grip on it over the plastic. Excellent upgrade. Spyderco should at least use aluminum over plastic (my opinion).

I recommend not removing the scales off the lanyard hole. Just pivot the scales on the lanyard hole and install. Otherwise the scales will be loose.

Back