Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
sBtVBD4.jpg

So...
Although I prefer the utility of the OHO Peak, the thin grind of the Wasp had me interested enough to want to buy one to see what the story is.

But any recommendations for the steel?

I've played with S30v and CTSXHP and 12c27 in folders, and D2 in fixed...but none with the thin grinding of the Manlys.

So for people that have them, what do you recommend for a Wasp s90 or 12c27?

Same again for the Peak - D2, CPM154 or s90?

One last question...
I have a PM2 and am was not at all impressed with its cutting ability until I lowered the angle. Is the Peak a better slicer than the PM2 or Endura?

I wanted to throw out an idea, how would a fixed blade version of the Wasp sound? Keep the same blade shape and size, maybe a thinner handle. This would be a like a Bird and Trout size for smaller jobs, a good companion knife to the Drugar.

12c27 is worth getting, I like mine. Easy to sharpen and its proven to have good edge retention in its class. If you must have s90v I don't think you can go wrong.

12c27 is worth getting, I like mine. Easy to sharpen and its proven to have good edge retention in its class. If you must have s90v I don't think you can go wrong.
12C27 is a great steel, highly underrated imo. It was designed specifically as a cutlery steel from what I've read. Nothing wrong with it at all, and the 12C27 is less expensive. On the other hand, S90V is a great steel too, and holds an edge for a long time.it is however, much harder to sharpen. The choice would come down to a combination of price point, and what are your sharpening skills like..and do you have a good set of stones like diamond to sharpen S90. In the end, either choice is great, but the 12C27 is much easier to maintain, and still has decent edge retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back