Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Gary W. Graley, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

Dean51, Llasi, dc50 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
  3. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    The Peak is so low-profile and slicey, it just keeps ending up in my pocket - and I don't like lockbacks!

Gary W. Graley and dc50 like this.
  4. Baggins

Baggins

Oct 13, 2017
    So...
    Although I prefer the utility of the OHO Peak, the thin grind of the Wasp had me interested enough to want to buy one to see what the story is.

But any recommendations for the steel?

I've played with S30v and CTSXHP and 12c27 in folders, and D2 in fixed...but none with the thin grinding of the Manlys.

So for people that have them, what do you recommend for a Wasp s90 or 12c27?

Same again for the Peak - D2, CPM154 or s90?

One last question...
    I have a PM2 and am was not at all impressed with its cutting ability until I lowered the angle. Is the Peak a better slicer than the PM2 or Endura?

5. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I wanted to throw out an idea, how would a fixed blade version of the Wasp sound? Keep the same blade shape and size, maybe a thinner handle. This would be a like a Bird and Trout size for smaller jobs, a good companion knife to the Drugar.

Alberta Ed and Gary W. Graley like this.
  6. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    That sounds great but I’d vote for a lower point as well
    G2

dc50 and Baggins like this.
  7. Baggins

Baggins

Oct 13, 2017
    For a bird and trout, I would also want a slightly narrower blade (reduced by 1/4 to 1/3)

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  8. fielder

fielder

Jan 25, 2011
    12c27 every time. Its easy to sharpen and tough, a great choice.

Alberta Ed, Mo2 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  9. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Great ideas to the BnT Wasp idea. Dropping the point and a thinner profile would make it more practical.

10. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    I have been quite pleased with 12c27 on my Wasps. sharp and maintains a decent edge.

11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    12c27 is worth getting, I like mine. Easy to sharpen and its proven to have good edge retention in its class. If you must have s90v I don't think you can go wrong.

Gary W. Graley and Timbo437 like this.
  12. Timbo437

Timbo437

Oct 9, 2018
    12C27 is a great steel, highly underrated imo. It was designed specifically as a cutlery steel from what I've read. Nothing wrong with it at all, and the 12C27 is less expensive. On the other hand, S90V is a great steel too, and holds an edge for a long time.it is however, much harder to sharpen. The choice would come down to a combination of price point, and what are your sharpening skills like..and do you have a good set of stones like diamond to sharpen S90. In the end, either choice is great, but the 12C27 is much easier to maintain, and still has decent edge retention.

Gary W. Graley, Alberta Ed and Mo2 like this.
  13. BURNSY56

BURNSY56

Dec 13, 2003
    Sergeua, dc50 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  14. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Interesting new blade, I like the blade shape but wonder if the handle is a good fit.

On another topic, the clip on my Wasp is starting to get loose, but the small wrench does not fit to tighten it.

15. BURNSY56

BURNSY56

Dec 13, 2003
    Agreed about the handle. Otherwise it reminds me of a Dozier Pro Guide

16. Lyubomir Trayanov

Lyubomir Trayanov Manly USA

Aug 29, 2017
    Baggins, dc50 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  17. Lyubomir Trayanov

Lyubomir Trayanov Manly USA

Aug 29, 2017
    Please send me message or email and I will send you a new set of tools. Thanks!

Gary W. Graley, Baggins and dc50 like this.
  18. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks, I also just purchased a replacement set of hardware for the bent clip in my Two handed Peak.

19. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Late on the wagon.
    So far, I really like the thinly ground blade.
    What a bargain!

[​IMG]

20. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    very nice pic