Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did like the old style texture a bit more myself but the new style is fine too, no problems with that at all for sure!
G2

I was wondering if they they could thin the scales of the Comrades a little to make the overall thickness like the Peak, or at least not as block feeling in the hand. But still feel "Manly" or robust, one of the aspects I like about it. I like the texture of the handles.

I would agree some contouring might be helpful with these new Comrade folder scales, wouldn't hurt, would be great if they could contour like they do on the Drugar handles.
G2

My Comrade is a few years old as well. I sure like the changes on the newer models. :thumbsup:
YcZBvi0.jpg
TBH I think that looks, and feels a lot better than the new scales. I have a Comrade like that but in orange: such a beautiful knife and a great grip. My Wasp is lovely, but the contours and visual result on the Comrade are nicer IMHO.

TBH I think that looks, and feels a lot better than the new scales. I have a Comrade like that but in orange: such a beautiful knife and a great grip. My Wasp is lovely, but the contours and visual result on the Comrade are nicer IMHO.

The reason I didn't care for the texture on the older Comrades is because I was clipping it in the RPF. I felt it was to rough on pockets. Shortly after getting this knife I started using a sheath for the second knife. So when I think about it, Maybe I no longer have a complaint. :rolleyes: I've actually removed the clip and filled in the space where the clip was.

Maybe combine the texture on the new Comrade's, with the contour of the original Comrade.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have some experience with the different steels in the Peak?

I am looking at pricing out one

My main thoughts are, that I have a few D2 knives already, from different chinese manufacturers and one CPMD2 from kershaw. So do I want another D2 knife?

I have a 154cm leatherman, but no CPM 154 steels. Used to have a benchmade in 154cm too but lost that. I'd love to hear people's experience with cpm 154 as I am curious about how it does.

And last but not least. If I am not going for the cheap d2, should I pony up the extra bucks and just get their s90v? I have a Wasp in s90v so far. Is it that much of an improvement in cpm154 for the extra dollars?

Any info is welcome!

The D2 that Manly uses is German made, so not Chinese mystery D2 steel. Have heard good things about the S90V but have not used it my self. I have a Comrade and a Drugar in cpm 154 that are waiting to be tested.

Now next question,I have contacted Manly USA, my clip on my Peak got bent after snagging some fabric, anyway to get a new clip or replace it with a metal insert? I have heard that you can get the insert if you want to take off a clip, are they necessary to keep the handle slabs tight? I also ask because I may take off the clip on my Comrade to see if it will fit a medium leather belt sheath.

Last edited:
The D2 that Manly uses is German made, so not Chinese mystery D2 steel.
That's not true. Alot of the well known Chinese manufactures use the same bohler d2 that manly uses. Indeed Alot of the lesser known ones use mysterious steels.

Manley do a different heat treatment than the Chinese and use cryo in there small batch heat treatments. The Chinese knives in d2 have shown to be poorly heat treated overall for the most part in cardboard cut testing.

Manly d2 has not been tested yet in any of these tests to compare... Yet.

If you want good d2, a custom knife with custom heat treatment is idea. There is a ht protocol in the blade smith's section that is highly recommended.

12c27n in manly knives has shown to be very good performance, I like my wasp in that steel. I haven't tried there cpm154 but I do enjoy using it from other manufacturers, it's worth checking out. The s90v takes some time to sharpen, but not so bad with diamonds.

That's not true. Alot of the well known Chinese manufactures use the same bohler d2 that manly uses. Indeed Alot of the lesser known ones use mysterious steels.

Manley do a different heat treatment than the Chinese and use cryo in there small batch heat treatments. The Chinese knives in d2 have shown to be poorly heat treated overall for the most part in cardboard cut testing.

Manly d2 has not been tested yet in any of these tests to compare... Yet.

If you want good d2, a custom knife with custom heat treatment is idea. There is a ht protocol in the blade smith's section that is highly recommended.

12c27n in manly knives has shown to be very good performance, I like my wasp in that steel. I haven't tried there cpm154 but I do enjoy using it from other manufacturers, it's worth checking out. The s90v takes some time to sharpen, but not so bad with diamonds.

I just want to clarify, what part is untrue? That Manly uses German steel or that Chinese makers do not use mystery steel? Are you stating that Manly has not thoroughly tested its D2 even if it does do some different processes to the steel? I do not mean anything by asking, just trying to understand your comments. Thanks for sharing.

I just want to clarify, what part is untrue? That Manly uses German steel or that Chinese makers do not use mystery steel? Are you stating that Manly has not thoroughly tested its D2 even if it does do some different processes to the steel? I do not mean anything by asking, just trying to understand your comments. Thanks for sharing.
What I mean is that several well known Chinese factories use the same German d2 as manly does. They only differ in heat treatment. I think I originally read your comment incorrectly tbo.

Last edited:
The D2 that Manly uses is German made, so not Chinese mystery D2 steel. Have heard good things about the S90V but have not used it my self. I have a Comrade and a Drugar in cpm 154 that are waiting to be tested.

Now next question,I have contacted Manly USA, my clip on my Peak got bent after snagging some fabric, anyway to get a new clip or replace it with a metal insert? I have heard that you can get the insert if you want to take off a clip, are they necessary to keep the handle slabs tight? I also ask because I may take off the clip on my Comrade to see if it will fit a medium leather belt sheath.
Check the website again my friend! They have a kit for 6 dollars with a clip, a plate and extra screws and washers!

Edit it is called the peak/wasp repair set

Last edited:
Check the website again my friend! They have a kit for 6 dollars with a clip, a plate and extra screws and washers!

Edit it is called the peak/wasp repair set
Thanks, just got it when I noticed they were in stock.

Thanks, just got it when I noticed they were in stock.
When I remove the clip from my Peak and use the insert where the clip was, does this make sure the slab stays put? The insert is necessary to keep everything tight?

When I remove the clip from my Peak and use the insert where the clip was, does this make sure the slab stays put? The insert is necessary to keep everything tight?

The clip/insert is screwed into a stand off at the back of the knife. and holds the back together.
The knife needs the screw in place. If memory serves me correctly the screw will be to long with out the insert or clip in place.
NeCPEWN.jpg

I thought I would give a quick 1 year update on the Wasp, it has been my #1 work horse sense the day I got it. It's remodeled Mom's bathrooms, gone through piles of cardboard and plastic jugs for recycling. I accidentally laid it in paint and dropped it off the tail gate onto concrete. Other than a small chip on the corner and a little residual paint stain. It's as tight as the day it was new.
Mines is S90V but in what ever steel you choose the wasp is the best bargain out there.
wx918Ey.jpg

It's one of those knives that just works so well you want two one for work and one for dress. At least that was my excuse for the second Wasp.
Fc9pnGg.jpg

F10553C2-83AA-4832-98AB-14DCF80C4AA1.jpeg 0D89EA64-D3B8-4CF4-97F4-40546BC930E5.jpeg I clip my CUDA’s in my front pockets. The little one has a 5.5” blade. The medium has a 7” blade. I’ll post the 9” later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back