Mass drop knives

I am excited for the Ferrum Forge Buc and the Brad Zinker Dogtooth! Finally a higher quality Zinker wharnie not made by Boker!

It looks like Massdrop now has the money and ability to be really filling in the blanks and giving us what we want. Smaller blades with better materials and great design.

IMG_6025.JPG IMG_6026.JPG

I am excited for the Ferrum Forge Buc and the Brad Zinker Dogtooth! Finally a higher quality Zinker wharnie not made by Boker!

It looks like Massdrop now has the money and ability to be really filling in the blanks and giving us what we want. Smaller blades with better materials and great design.

View attachment 901852 View attachment 901853

Super close to pulling the trigger on that Zinker. Great look, blade shape, and steel.

And now a Laconico.

WAlSp0JOTMCR2X0Uc5sC_6FQYuakQfS2HADKV30W9_AI7B5238%20copy%20productcard.jpg

sPuYEsnQhqpLF67BJtFA_AI7B9507%20copy%20page.jpg

Decided to bring in a little silver. I stripped the ano off my Gent, and polished up a bit. Also made some new scales for it. I think it looks much better than the anodizing I had on it, and a little better than the original dark grey color. Would probably look amazing with the original black scales. Will try them out if I can find them.

2dvu4p4.jpg

2uz7xpf.jpg

Well, I finally broke down and ordered a Gent today. I couldn’t resist any longer. Right in the middle of a Nick Shabazz video I lost control.
I’ve been looking for a replacement for my Chaparral anyway. Looking forward to trying it out.
Knowing your taste in knives, I’m interested to hear what you think about it after you carry and use it a bit. It’s a handy little knife that slices great and disappears in Pocket. Oddly, after a few weeks I still haven’t decided if I like it, love it, or meh. Although taking price into account, it’s certainly better than meh....maybe I’ve just gotten snobby.

Well, I finally broke down and ordered a Gent today. I couldn’t resist any longer. Right in the middle of a Nick Shabazz video I lost control.
I’ve been looking for a replacement for my Chaparral anyway. Looking forward to trying it out.

Well dang, you still need to replace the Chap. Both are small and light, but fairly different from there. I only have the regular CF/G10. But the Raffir Noble catches my eye everytime I see it.

You know what they say....If in doubt, buy both. :D.

Knowing your taste in knives, I’m interested to hear what you think about it after you carry and use it a bit. It’s a handy little knife that slices great and disappears in Pocket. Oddly, after a few weeks I still haven’t decided if I like it, love it, or meh. Although taking price into account, it’s certainly better than meh....maybe I’ve just gotten snobby.
I think the size and profile look good and 2.4 oz is acceptable.
I’ve never had a flipper or bearings, but it will be a lightly used gent’s knife so no problems perceived with that.
I’m looking forward to trying it out. I’ve had a hard time finding a Chappie replacement.

The Gent is a great, small gentleman's knife. Hard to say how it compares with the Chaparral overall though. I find the Gent carries and looks better, but isn't near as good a slicer as the Chaparral. Of course, I'm comparing against my grey FRN Chaparral, so I naturally look at it more as a utility knife than a gentleman's carry. I might think a little differently with the carbon fiber or Raffir versions.

What the Gent does replace for me is the Boker FR. They are very similar, with the Gent just feeling more well done in almost every way. About the only thing I like more about the FR is the pocket clip. I wish the Gent had a clip bracket that was flush with the scales and a wider clip.

Last edited:
The Gent is a great, small gentleman's knife. Hard to say how it compares with the Chaparral overall though. I find the Gent carries and looks better, but isn't near as good a slicer as the Chaparral. Of course, I'm comparing against my grey FRN Chaparral, so I naturally look at it more as a utility knife than a gentleman's carry. I might think a little differently with the carbon fiber or Raffir versions.

What the Gent does replace for me is the Boker FR. They are very similar, with the Gent just feeling more well done in almost every way. About the only thing I like more about the FR is the pocket clip. I wish the Gent had a clip bracket that was flush with the scales and a wider clip.
I’m not trying to directly compare the Chaparral to the Gent necessarily. Just trying to find a different, smallish gent’s folder instead of the Chappie.
As far as slicing capability, the Gent will do just fine for my needs. It seems to be pretty thin behind the edge.

Nothing at all against the Chappie. Its just not for me.

Funny you should mention the Boker FR. It was going to be my next purchase until I saw the Gent.:)

I’m not trying to directly compare the Chaparral to the Gent necessarily. Just trying to find a different, smallish gent’s folder instead of the Chappie.
As far as slicing capability, the Gent will do just fine for my needs. It seems to be pretty thin behind the edge.

Nothing at all against the Chappie. Its just not for me.

Funny you should mention the Boker FR. It was going to be my next purchase until I saw the Gent.:)

The FR was a near miss for me. At first, it was fantastic. Then it started to have lockup issues. It's also a tiny bit too small for me to get a 4-finger grip on the handle. The Gent seems to be just right in those areas. My hesitation with long term use of the Gent comes back to the same thing with the FR; the titanium on steel lockup. I wasn't necessarily hard on the FR, but I did expect it to cut cardboard and perform other similar not-so-light duties without having issues. With the Chaparral, I feel like my only worry is snapping that very thin blade. Maybe I expect too much from a gentleman's knife. :p

i just got my FF Crux and it's like a beefed up Gent without a deep carry clip. I know Pops Clips makes one for this and the Falcon, but it looks a little too big. I like the sleekness of the Gent's clip (wich could be longer and wider and retain it's sleekness).

My Crux should arrive tomorrow. The super slow massdrop FedEx smartpost shipping method is atrotious.

I couldn't agree more. They ship a lot of their drops out of NJ and I live in eastern PA and it STILL take 3-4 days for shipping.

Is this typical of their annodize method? Kind of splotchy. The lockside is smooth and can't see this in any light or angle.

NQ8THZC.jpg

bPU061H.jpg

I've seen a few like that, so maybe they have to work on their ano.
For the most part, their work seems first-rate. And it seems to get even better with each new blade.

i just got my FF Crux and it's like a beefed up Gent without a deep carry clip. I know Pops Clips makes one for this and the Falcon, but it looks a little too big. I like the sleekness of the Gent's clip (wich could be longer and wider and retain it's sleekness).

darth_cholo darth_cholo The Pop’s clip absolutely makes the Crux. I highly recommend it. The OE clip gave me an awful hot spot.

F9C718EE-962C-4614-AC78-197627849B5A.jpeg

88FAC1F2-D22E-4D8D-8864-6C81414E81F8.jpeg

I love clean, no-nonsense knives with full height grinds and the Massdrop Keen collab with Ray Laconico certainly fits that bill... I am super pumped for this knife. I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on this guy...
wqePbJZ.jpg

I love clean, no-nonsense knives with full height grinds and the Massdrop Keen collab with Ray Laconico certainly fits that bill... I am super pumped for this knife. I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on this guy...
wqePbJZ.jpg

Not trying to hog the thread, but I’m here & you asked. :)

It is VERY attractive. The .16 blade thickness puts me off though. I’ve been trending thinner. It’s a personal preference thing.

Also, the speed hole edition which I like best is $160. While that may be a fair price, it’s getting into competitive real estate where I expect to find a pretty high level of refinement. Not to slam on this great looking knife or on MD, but personally I have a hard time going into this range without a “hands-on” test drive. This is true with most knives/manufacturers—again, a personal thing of mine. Yes, I miss out sometimes, but hopefully it’ll spare me some let downs in the long run.

In the end, I’ll sit this one out....which I also tried with the Gent. And failed. :D

ETA: Masdropp has really jumped into the knife business with both feet, it seems. As from the beginning, I’m still really interested to see where they go.

Back