Massdrop - Laconico Keen Spear-Point Folding Knife - Anyone seen this?

It looks like all the MD knives not from a major manufacturer are contracted with WE Knives the Terzuola, the FF, and this Laconico.

I'd like to make a point: at $140 it's pricey enough that you have MANY alternatives from the established knife websites... and the bonus of immediate shipping vs the typical 8+ week nonsense from massdrop
This.
My experience with the ones I got were underwhelmed VS other knives in there price range.

I took a look at it, and it's kinda meh. Given the design and the price, Laconico's midtechs are more interesting - they run in the low $300s.

However, when I took a look at current drops, it appears Massdrop and Ferrum Forge are doing yet another collaboration, this time a keychain style utility knife, in brass or copper. That one got me interested.

Negative.
China is missing out.
Conscious effort to not support China.

A huge majority of your daily household items are made and produced in China, but you draw the line at a knife. A knife that is designed by an American, which means some proceeds go to him, and distributed by massdrop, an American company, not to mention the fact that WE produces outstanding quality. Support quality, not a country. Plenty of American companies produce absolute garbage and don't deserve any money. Ending the politics there.

Just signed up for this. Looks to be a great knife. Several design options including lefty models. Designed by Ray and produced by WE Knife.

I apologize if this has already been posted. I just got the email on it.

Anyone else jumping on this one? This and the Terzuola are the only ones that have really made me hit the "join" button.

Link Removed - Easy enough to find.

They have a few other exclusive knives I saw are on the way but seem to not recieve as much attention like the Falcon, Crux, Gent and now the Terzoula. I’ve also seen that Massdrop axis lock knife get some attention, the Perpetua.

Here are some exclusive Massdrop knives that don’t seem to get as much press.

Massdrop Brad Zinker Dog Tooth.
Brad-Zinker-Dogtooth-Knife-gear-patrol-lead-full.jpg

Massdrop Ferrum Forge Buc (this looks sort of like a big brother of the Falcon)
AI7B9916_copy_copy_20180322143752.jpg

Massdrop Tashi Bharucha Prism
AI7B0002_copy_20180123113042.jpg

I took a look at it, and it's kinda meh. Given the design and the price, Laconico's midtechs are more interesting - they run in the low $300s.

However, when I took a look at current drops, it appears Massdrop and Ferrum Forge are doing yet another collaboration, this time a keychain style utility knife, in brass or copper. That one got me interested.
1. That’s a VERY good price for his work, a lot more affordable for a plain Jane than I would’ve thought
2. If you’re referring to the scalpel knife (RUK), I’ve seen it ragged on since day 1 haha. Still interested in seeing how it works

If you’re referring to the scalpel knife (RUK), I’ve seen it ragged on since day 1 haha. Still interested in seeing how it works
Where are you seeing it being ragged on? I just scanned the comments on Massdrop itself. It seems the biggest complaint is that people think it's a clone of the TUKK. I actually hadn't heard of that one before, but it doesn't appear to have a spring to keep it closed for safety - especially given their website says repeatedly NOT to carry it in your pocket. Seems to be quite different.

Edited to add: it does seem the controversy is mainly around that. Which is funny, since the TUKK itself seems to be heavily inspired by the Rexford RUT.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing it being ragged on? I just scanned the comments on Massdrop itself. It seems the biggest complaint is that people think it's a clone of the TUKK. I actually hadn't heard of that one before, but it doesn't appear to have a spring to keep it closed for safety - especially given their website says repeatedly NOT to carry it in your pocket. Seems to be quite different.

Edited to add: it does seem the controversy is mainly around that. Which is funny, since the TUKK itself seems to be heavily inspired by the Rexford RUT.
I'm going to admit fault to being slightly innacurate. One week into announcing this, and I see more comparisons to the Tukk/complaints about price/MERICA than actual criticism of the product. (And one lovely user by the name of ButtHurts who has unnecessary beef with FF). The original comments that I was referring to would be those adressing lack of ambi, requests for titanium versions, and the fact that it's a retractable blade. It might not be my knife of choice, but hopefully this design works for them.

I'm going to admit fault to being slightly innacurate. One week into announcing this, and I see more comparisons to the Tukk/complaints about price/MERICA than actual criticism of the product. (And one lovely user by the name of ButtHurts who has unnecessary beef with FF). The original comments that I was referring to would be those adressing lack of ambi, requests for titanium versions, and the fact that it's a retractable blade. It might not be my knife of choice, but hopefully this design works for them.

Ah, gotcha - thanks for the follow-up. Right-handed and copper works great for me - titanium might be nice, but it's only 1.2oz for the copper version anyway. I'm OK carrying around an extra quarter ounce :)

For it being retractable, that's actually more attractive to me than how the TUKK works. I would be carrying it on a keychain in my pocket, and this approach seems a lot safer than worrying about a magnet keeping its hold on the blade. Having it lock open would be nice, but the current configuration is worth a try regardless - it's only $40, after all.

I’m pretty sure the TUKK has been out since before the RUT was around. Also I see literally no similarity between the two at all. The TUKK is a different shape, uses a magnet to hold the knife blade in position and is thicker than the RUT. It doesn’t even use the same blade.

The RUT uses a lockbar to hold the blade in place, is a totally different shape and is thinner. The one that seems to copy the RUT is the “titanium pocket tool” which was a kickstarter for a RUT style clone.

TUKK
2cf8e0dd827cf08448578c41352e32de.jpg

Rexford RUT
tad_gear_rexford_rut_170615_1.jpg

Titanium Pocket Tool. (This looks more like a RUT clone)
66424fb573dc3c697a9d48bf5d32cceb_original.jpg

Here is the Massdrop RUK. Again seems like the only similarity there is that it is a small keychain xacto knife.
LWWYVv4zSeyjesHaOP6i_ruk-01.png

How about this Chinese one. MecArmy Ek12.

MecArmy_EK12_Titanium_Mini_Keychain_Utility_Knife_1_1296x.jpg

Direct quote from their website:

“WARM TIP!: invaginate the blade and lock it when not in use to avoid injury.”

Lol hilarious poor translation.

Another gem from their website.

Only as much as a large Sebenza.
EK28T_Damascus_Limited_Folding_Knife_2_1296x.jpg

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the TUKK has been out since before the RUT was around. Also I see literally no similarity between the two at all. The TUKK is a different shape, uses a magnet to hold the knife blade in position and is thicker than the RUT. It doesn’t even use the same blade.

The RUT uses a lockbar to hold the blade in place, is a totally different shape and is thinner. The one that seems to copy the RUT is the “titanium pocket tool” which was a kickstarter for a RUT style clone.

The TUKK Kickstarter is dated July 2015, while searching for the Rexford RUT on AZCK brings up entries as early as April 2014.

I also don't see much, if any, similarity between the TUKK and RUK, other than then both using the same blade from X-Acto, but tell that to the fanboys on Massdrop.

Back