Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was said they cut well, fact is they don't in comparison to many many other knives. Your usual parading around your escapades on camp island where you hack up lives trees proves absolutely nothing about the cutting performance of a medford.

Funny though.

Not an island.
Try to be accurate while being unpleasant.

I will wish everyone else in this thread a Merry Christmas.

A $300+ EDC in and of itself is logically ridiculous and the opposite of pragmatic. There's a myriad of options under $100 that are close to indestructable and can perform as well or nearly as well as any high-end midtech or custom.

There are even knives around $100 with equally exceptional materials such as super steel and titanium.

You're buying something other than a knife at this point. That "thing."

Besides, it's pedantic to argue such a trivial matter. Cutting efficiency? Obviously that's not the first thing on the minds of Medford owners. There's a tool for every job, if you need to break down boxes all day, surely Medford isn't the best option. Who would deny this?

I already relayed how a co-worker at the lab (guy from France) forgot his grandfather's knife one day, and used my Marauder to cut up his apple in the lunchroom.
I said it did not cut it so well as the thinner knife he normally used, because the Marauder is insanely thick (1/4" stock).

The guy thought it was a neat knife (never seen a frame-lock before), and was able to eat his apple, but the sections did not look as pretty as when he normally cut it with his knife.

When cutting things, some things are easily cut with whatever knife I have on me (Spyderco, Medford, Victorinox, whatever). Other things are more efficiently cut with a specific knife. Or scissors. Or a saw.
When the thing to be cut is better done with a specific tool, and I have access to the choice of tools, then I usually match the cutting task to the tool.

It isn't rocket science, nor am I on a crusade for (or against) a specific type or brand of knife.
I just cut things when they need to be cut with something that will cut them.
Simple or complicated as that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled bickering. ;)
Thanks, Stabbie! That's pretty much exactly what I'm after. That, "it cuts well," in the case of a knife like a Medford means pretty strictly, "it cuts well (enough for me)."

It’s very simple Medford’s are designed for i am sure you know without me telling you.
Hint not for cutting an Apple or cutting the box your new TV came in.

I had a Medford pretorian Genesis, nothing really wrong with it except I didn’t like the tanto style blade, sold it and would like to pick up another eventually but with a drop point blade.

I'm pretty sure they're meant for instagram, primarily.
Ha! So true. They suck at basically any dedicated knife task and they make poor prybars and grossly inefficient shovels but they look good in pictures!

As someone whose had lots of thick knives I know damn well how inefficient they are at doing what knives are actually intended to do... Cut.

Ha! So true. They suck at basically any dedicated knife task and they make poor prybars and grossly inefficient shovels but they look good in pictures!

As someone whose had lots of thick knives I know damn well how inefficient they are at doing what knives are actually intended to do... Cut.
They shovel well.

LOL :thumbsup: little known fact, the trenches dug in Vietnam were done with medfords.
The Medfords dug trenches well. And cut almost as well as the Air Force survival knives. I still have my fathers instagram pictures of him burying claymore wires with his issue Medford at Khe Sanh.

Last edited:
I like Medford knives, they are just a bit of fun IMO and generally well made. The 187 series are serious chunks of knives . In my use the shallow hollow grind wasn't ideal and would have prefered a higher sabre gind more akin to a strider.

My biggest gripe with them was how i was treated when my maurader arrived with a blade that wasn't straight...Things may have changed but they really need to take the descision regarding warranty work out of the hands of Greg and whatever mood he is in.

http://www.mattsknifereviews.org/medford-dress-marauder

Hey i just received a call from Greg Medford himself and he has read our long thread, and he has something for me to tell everyone.....What was that again Greg.....Hello!...Hello!! Greg are you still there?....Gosh he hung up on me.
And I wanted to wish him a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...oh well maybe next year we will have better luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back