Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Medford blade geometry is not designed to merely key a car door like ordinary knives would but to puncture that door and leave a gaping gash. Gaping Gash, Batman! That hole must have been made by a Medford!

Logically, I don't like Medford designs or their construction. However, the one Medford I saw in person was really nice seeming and looked like it would cut well. Every video I've seen of Greg Medford has made me not like him.

Hey i just received a call from Greg Medford himself and he has read our long thread, and he has something for me to tell everyone.....What was that again Greg.....Hello!...Hello!! Greg are you still there?....Gosh he hung up on me.
And I wanted to wish him a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...oh well maybe next year we will have better luck.
I'm guessing Greg is laughing all the way to the bank. ;)

I find the man to be as ridiculous as his knives, but by all accounts they seem well made, just not at all my thing.

I find knives like Medfords, Direware, Heeter (not saying they are in any way equivalent vis a vis quality, just the aesthetic) completely baffling as there's just nothing about them that appeals to me, but I don't begrudge folks liking them. I just also think it's silly to insist that any of them are particularly practical or efficient cutting tools.

"Blade Forums Consensus " ! :rolleyes:
Not sure your meaning, but I am someone who can get along with the vast majority of folks. I understand how some leave Blade Forum behind when I see how they allow some of the behavior they allow. One would think knife enthusiasts would treat one another as part of a brethren, not a cliche. This very post may cause me to be castigated, and if it does, fine. I respect everyone, not just those "in my camp", so we shall see (and allocate accordingly).

Not sure your meaning, but I am someone who can get along with the vast majority of folks. I understand how some leave Blade Forum behind when I see how they allow some of the behavior they allow. One would think knife enthusiasts would treat one another as part of a brethren, not a cliche. This very post may cause me to be castigated, and if it does, fine. I respect everyone, not just those "in my camp", so we shall see (and allocate accordingly).
Start a thread in tech support? I for one appreciate the mods despite having been handed chiclets on occasion. If people don't like how this forum is run, they should cry about it somewhere else or start a tech support thread.

I personally think the Praetorian line is ugly. Medford does have some knives I like but, if I had to pin it down to one primary thing that turns me off of the brand, it's the price.

Just last night I saw a very nice reproduction of a Fairbairn Sykes combat dagger made by Medford for sale (on Blade HQ I think) anyways, I almost choked when I saw the price....$600.00 USD :eek:

And basically ALL of the Medford line is exorbitantly priced in this manner.

If MK&T is going to charge these kind of prices, imo they need to provide some kind of detailed justification for that price point.

I'll admit, I haven't researched it (and perhaps they do) but, imo for that kind of money I think they should provide a 100% Lifetime No Questions Asked Warranty w/ each knife (or something similar).

THEN MK&T may warrant a 2nd look from me (and probably a whole lot more people)

Just my $0.02

Start a thread in tech support? I for one appreciate the mods despite having been handed chiclets on occasion. If people don't like how this forum is run, they should cry about it somewhere else or start a tech support thread.
They still cut well.

My problem with Medfords is that they aren’t thick enough. When I’m in full tactical mode it’s 0.5” blade stock or bust.
0.5" is nice, but I still don't quite understand the whole "blade stock thinner than blade length" approach. If your blade is tall enough, you can use 5" thick stock and put a 12° zero grind on it.

Seriously, there is something aesthetically pleasing about thick blade stocks, but the knife needs to have some major advantages to make up for the downsides. You can do it with ergonomics, geometry, or action. I don't see Medford doing any of those things well. They're good sculptures, but for me that's not enough.

There are many that cut weller.
This Weller?
51621_v9_ba.jpg

Im sure they will just as I’m sure he won’t appreciate it.

Cool trolling bro.

How exactly is instigating altercations and inflammatory comments benefiting this thread in anyway whatsoever? Oh, that's right, it's not.

Speaking of other areas of the forum, isnt there a playpen specifically designed for groupies like yourself lying around here somewhere?

Oh, and Medfords cut great and you missed a smear or two on the tip of your nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back