Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ridiculous! I just sliced up this banana with my Medford and it went fine:

qNbGwFl.jpg

;)
I disagree. A Medford would easily cut a banana if you did 1” slices. Of course the slices would ultimately be compressed into 1/2” ones.

Great post BTW. I laughed my ass off. :thumbsup:

That was the thread I created. I cut all sorts of stuff with it and people still said it wouldn’t cut. The no juice comment about the tomatoes just killed me. Haha. People are so funny sometimes. That thread got shut down and all I wanted to do was a small review for people that might be interested in the knife. But it got so out of hand.

I currently have no Medford’s, or any other higher $$ knife at the moment. Sole them all awhile back for some funds for our house. But I always likes their designs and actually want to pick up a 187 tanto.

That's fair. I actually remember a thread where someone posted a tomato sliced up using a Praetorian, and it devolved into a three page argument where folks were CSI:NYing the ISH out of the pics. "Well, look, there's no juice in that one slice, showing that all the juice was smashed out by the cut!" It was an entertaining read.

When cutting literally everything which had to be cut over a 2 week period (during which extra things to cut were sought out) does not count as being able to cut things...

Only on the internet do knives which cut things somehow get defined as not being able to do so.
I guess that's another bonus for reality as opposed to the internet, eh? ;)

That was the thread I created. I cut all sorts of stuff with it and people still said it wouldn’t cut. The no juice comment about the tomatoes just killed me. Haha. People are so funny sometimes. That thread got shut down and all I wanted to do was a small review for people that might be interested in the knife. But it got so out of hand.

I currently have no Medford’s, or any other higher $$ knife at the moment. Sole them all awhile back for some funds for our house. But I always likes their designs and actually want to pick up a 187 tanto.
Better find one quick it's been discontinued.
https://www.medfordknife.com/product/187-dpt-drop-point-tanto-discontinued/

No hate here, they're just not for me. I may not agree with some design choices, the price point, or some of Greg's personal philosophy, so I just don't buy them. He can keep on making them, and people can keep on buying them. Don't bother me none.

An update on Greg Medford who said in an old video he didn't carry a knife, i spoke to a person i know who works with Greg and i asked him about those comments, he told me that Greg does carry a knife.

I also remember an old Medford video where he is in the knife assembly area, and he is asking the workers to show their own carry knives i also think Greg pulled out his own knife.

Again, as Officer's Match said, impact toughness? What need is there for that on a folding knife? In any case, do those charpy tests test to see whether the blade or the pivot would fail first? Have you done any actual testing yourself, or nah?
I said D2 isn't tough. You said I know nothing about tool steels. I asked for you to show that D2 is tough but instead you're arguing that there's no need for tough steel on a thick folder. I made no statement about geometry. Go ahead and back up your statement that D2 is tough instead of trying to change the topic.

LOL that is accurate.

Also funny how some people ignore the geometric difference in cutting performance like it doesn't exists. No one ever said a medford couldn't cut anything, they said its obtuse geometry makes it significantly less efficient than many other knives. So, no, in the realm of knives medfords are not "good cutters". Are they usable for cutting things? yes. So is a busse ash1, but it sucks at cutting things. Get over it.

LOL that is accurate.

Also funny how some people ignore the geometric difference in cutting performance like it doesn't exists. No one ever said a medford couldn't cut anything, they said its obtuse geometry makes it significantly less efficient than many other knives. So, no, in the realm of knives medfords are not "good cutters". Are they usable for cutting things? yes. So is a busse ash1, but it sucks at cutting things. Get over it.
Turns out, if you're trying to separate material with a wedge....the thinnest wedge with the lowest included angle will do it with the least effort. Crazy....huh? I will admit it took me some time to get there, they will eventually;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back