Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not into overbuilt folders but many are and Greg provides a prouduct that some like

I know Greg and I have been in booths next to him working shows

He’s a good guy that puts a lot into his work and from what I saw interacts with his customers well

To not like someone’s work is one thing to dislike a guy you don’t know is well ....... kinda stupid

Merry x Mas

Just in general , I don't understand the POU of massively overbuilt frame / liner locks .

Something like the Cold Steel 4-Max , at least has an inherently reliable and strong lock that will not fail due to "oiling" , "loss of friction " etc . o_O

EVERYTHING in life is a trade off.
Get use to it
There's things the Medford will do better than your spyderco or 710. Say for instance cut either one in half.
Or lose the tip in the case of some fairly real world uses for a pocketknife in my usage.

It is a bit weird to be a knifemaker that doesn't carry knives but it's not damning ... I guess.

Trying to wrap my head around that one.

Still, I take the testimony of the members here before the knifemakers themselves all the time. If y'all say that they're good knives, they're good knives.

Medford's overall design style isn't appealing to me, which is totally subjective. Less subjective, is Medford's stance on disassembly. I'm not interested in knives I can't take apart and service without voiding a warranty, particularly at his price point.

Impact resistance? On a folding knife? :rolleyes:

I guess all the custom knife makers that also use D2 should have known better.

As for whether Mr. Medford carries a knife, I frankly don't care.

You should rescind your statement that what I said was "demonstrably false."

No need for impact resistance or toughness in a folder? Why carry a folding pry bar then? D2's material properties are well known and can be easily found by searching. It is not a tough steel.

No need for impact resistance or toughness in a folder? Why carry a folding pry bar then? D2's material properties are well known and can be easily found by searching. It is not a tough steel.
Seriously? You are actually stating D2 is not a tough steel? You are very much mistaken. And no, I do not expect the blade on a folding knife to withstand "impact", not that D2 is lacking in that department by comparison to most other common blade steels. For crying out loud, the Adamas is Benchmade's hard use folder and uses D2.

I own 3 Medford knives.
I also own 2 Case Peanuts.
And a whole bunch from Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, etc.

It is not against the law to have more than one knife.
It is against the law to have more than one wife.
Seems some people in these threads get that confused. ;)

UD2 seems like it can be a pretty tough steel if its heat treated right.

There’s a video of some guy “batoning” a penny with his d2 benchy 720. The force is enogh that when he he does this the penny starts to fold in half. Yet when he checke for edge damage there is none whatsoever.

Here we go. So, tell me, how often do you slice tomatoes without a kitchen knife handy? Is that an EDC task for you? :)

Sometimes you just have to be prepared for these things. :)
51jvI7%2B1RTL.jpg

n2s

I don't have anything against D2, but it isn't a very tough steel in a broad sense.

It's obviously proven to make good knives and is generally "tough enough" for most normal use and even some abuse, but I've never understood it being the go-to choice for overbuilt, "hard-use" knives when makers could choose a steel that's actually tough instead. Probably it's because D2 is fairly inexpensive, offers a step up in wear resistance, has good name recognition, and again has proven to generally be "tough enough" for things people actually do with their knives, particularly if the hardness is backed off a little.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...b-l-niolox-cpm-154-19c27-40cp-and-d2.1546412/

Yea, d2 isn't tough in the world of steels. Sure it's tough enough for knife applications 99% of the time though.

Quoted for posterity, so when someone might ask "Does Fanglekai know anything about tool steels?", we'll all be able to have proof when we answer that no, no he doesn't.

Quoted for posterity, so when someone might ask "Does Fanglekai know anything about tool steels?", we'll all be able to have proof when we answer that no, no he doesn't.
He isn't wrong though.. Not that it matters in the case of folders anyway.
D2 doesn't hold a candle to other steels in toughness, seriously. I just want to know the thickness behind the edge on most Medfords?

I held a bunch of them at blade, they seem well made, stout. I know the cutting performance suffers when a knife is .05 thick behind the edge and tapers up to .19 or thicker. That effect is somewhat mitigated by a tall blade but not eliminated.

I've been a stout knife enthusiast for years too, I have a mbb m27 I got at blade that absolutely sucks cutting almost everything because it's Geometry is to obtuse. I knew that when I bought it though, I just don't have any delusions that it cuts well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back