Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang.
Now I gotta go buy one of those new S90V 187s I was looking at yesterday. :D

Just because.:p

And every Medford I've owned sliced just fine out of the box with no blade work.
Every Hinderer I've owned was either reground before I bought it or I sent it for a regrind...they're folding chisels. Really nice though, that's why I invested in upgrades.

I think that if you are going to post this you need to post the "receipts" as well, as the kids say.
I suspect the cruelest thing he ever said was to tell people they can't take the knives apart.

Seems like a lot of folks want to feel smarter than the guy that made the knife. If that maker doesn't agree then mayhem ensues.

Why does the letter say you can't lubricate the knife?
Care and Maintenance: Make sure you maintain a SHARP knife. S-35VN blades are very rust-resistant so light oil from time to time and after any water exposure is adequate. CPM 3V is awesome stuff but will absolutely rust so maintain with oil D-2 blades are carbon steels and can rust, so oil occasionally. Do not disassemble unless very experienced in knife-making. Disassembly voids any warranty implied or expressed. Sharpen with any means traditionally used, or return for free sharpening for life. To return knives to the Factory for servicing please contact the Factory directly to receive a return authorization number prior to shipment or the package will not be accepted. There are minimal fees for tuning blades. Please inquire when getting your return authorization number.

https://www.medfordknife.com/our-terms/

What letter? Here's the terms from their page; bold and underline is my edit.

Can anyone with a Medford measure the thickness behind the edge on their model?

Geometry don't lie.

Care and Maintenance: Make sure you maintain a SHARP knife. S-35VN blades are very rust-resistant so light oil from time to time and after any water exposure is adequate. CPM 3V is awesome stuff but will absolutely rust so maintain with oil D-2 blades are carbon steels and can rust, so oil occasionally. Do not disassemble unless very experienced in knife-making. Disassembly voids any warranty implied or expressed. Sharpen with any means traditionally used, or return for free sharpening for life. To return knives to the Factory for servicing please contact the Factory directly to receive a return authorization number prior to shipment or the package will not be accepted. There are minimal fees for tuning blades. Please inquire when getting your return authorization number.

https://www.medfordknife.com/our-terms/

What letter? Here's the terms from their page; bold and underline is my edit.
mGeP2Vo.jpg
#2 on the letter "Do not lubricate you knife in any way. No exceptions."

^
Now that’s a head scratcher.

Looking at the 187 series online, they really don’t look that awful design wise. I mean they ain’t pretty, but the blade thickness is not egregious and with the hollow grind the probably do cut ok.

Last edited:
That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen from a maker...aside from Strider marketing "Ranger Green" handles (oh the irony!).

The things I don't get about MKT's are 1) the super thick stock 2) the flipper that sticks out massively far when folded on that one model.

Is that an old letter that is no longer relevant?
Sure looks like that.

It's a good rule to check the web for the current regs since most folks now post the most current details up there.

What that letter is though is a good example of the maker's personality. Loud, opinionated, and abrasive.

If something or someone is polarizing that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just going to be a love/hate scenario. It gets ugly when folks decide that everyone has to hate what they hate and love what they love.

Wow, just about everything you just posted is demonstrably false. Have you ever actually used (or even touched) a Medford knife?

Skip to 3:30 if you don't want to watch it all.

"I don't collect any. I don't have any. I don't even carry knives. I just LOVE making them."

D2 has low impact resistance. This is a well known material property.

Skip to 3:30 if you don't want to watch it all.

"I don't collect any. I don't have any. I don't even carry knives. I just LOVE making them."

D2 has low impact resistance. This is a well known material property.
Impact resistance? On a folding knife? :rolleyes:

I guess all the custom knife makers that also use D2 should have known better.

As for whether Mr. Medford carries a knife, I frankly don't care.

Greg seems like a hot :poop: to me. I wouldn't mind talking with him over a couple beers but I have a feeling he would be doing all the talking ;)

What a strange world we live in... People criticize each other for buying a thick knife that WILL cut. Then turn around buy a knife that looks like a bag of Skittles and be too afraid to actually use the excellent "cutting geometry" that cost them $1000 and up

I really like the looks of their new Smooth Criminal model, though it's kinda a break away from their usual designs.

Medford-Smooth-Criminal-Plunge-Lock-Black-SW-MD039ST06AB-BHQ-91950-jr-large.jpg

Is that an old letter that is no longer relevant?

It's a couple of years old, that's my letter and knife. The letter was folded up and inside the box with the rest of the stuff when the knife came (IIRC, my wife bought it from knifecenter I think). Here's the rest of the stuff it came with, which for the record, did come with another, much less silly warranty letter as you can see:

Wxzfxz6.jpg

^
Now that’s a head scratcher.

Looking at the 187 series online, they really don’t look that awful design wise. I mean they ain’t pretty, but the blade thickness is not egregious and with the hollow grind the probably do cut ok.

As I have admitted previously, including in this thread, I've grown to like my 187 quite a bit. I've occasionally carried it here and there for a couple of years and it's a fine, if overly thick and heavy, knife. I'd say it's about twice as thick behind the edge bevel as my Benchmade Bugout, to compare it to a similar size blade that IMO cuts better than the 187. Not that initial edge matters much, but I'm pretty sure my 187 had the best out of the box edge of any knife I've ever owned--it was hair-whittling sharp out of the box. All around, it's a fat little knife but I really like it.

I do still think Greg Medford is a spastic nitwit, though. Between the letter and the videos I've seen, he seems a little, er, special.

I have said “posted” before Greg Medford would do
Himself and his comany a grest favor if he would let his wife do the videos.
Greg just get to making to many wild statements and flys off into outer space, he is
not helping his company.
I think the knives speak for themselves the people who like large folders buy them and that’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back