Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Medford Praetorians cut just fine ... for a fantasy ax head. And for all the times guys mention X-Acto blades, no one carries them around and they won't slice a beefsteak tomato either. Not even radially. Not enough reach.

For the people saying they cut quite well, I have to ask, compared to what? I've seen the pictures of the food that they've cut and...that's not 'cutting well' by any stretch of the imagination. So I'm sincerely curious for those that own them, if both knives are sharp, what knives do you own that cut worse than a Medford?
Zero Tolerance, and I'm not joking. The one's I've had (with the exception of the excellent slicing 0350) at too thick behind the edge, much like the Hinderer's I have. The Praetorian T that I frequently carry is a much better slicer.

That's fair. I guess I think there's hyperbole on both sides of the Medford debate. I know about how well a knife with a grind like that will cut and, to be frank, it wouldn't be my first choice for just about any cutting task for a folder (if I batonned my folders more often, like @stabman I might feel differently;) ).

On the other hand, I don't doubt that they are capable of cutting things, but I would absolutely cite that geometry as one of my main criticisms and something that would keep me away from the brand.

The thing that people miss about Medfords is that if you don't like them, that's perfectly ok. But when people who haven't ever even been in the same room as a Medford start parroting things they've heard other people say "They can't cut! They're too obtuse!" those are objectively incorrect. If people don't like the design, the price, the materials choices, those are all subjective, and hey, knock yerself out. They aren't for everyone. I was a doubter those couple of years ago, but after that poster posted up his thread (Not Stab's, though those also help make the point), I bought at Praetorian from Greg himself at BLADE, and brought it home for some testing. I used it for all sorts of things much like others have, and at no point did I ever find myself thinking "Man, this blade's too thick, I need a finer edge". They cut just fine. Are they heavy, blocky very expensive knives made in D2? Sure are. But hey, it's only money.

I'm sure Medford Praetorians cut just fine ... for a fantasy ax head. And for all the times guys mention X-Acto blades, no one carries them around and they won't slice a beefsteak tomato either. Not even radially. Not enough reach.

Here we go. So, tell me, how often do you slice tomatoes without a kitchen knife handy? Is that an EDC task for you? :)

Just funnin'. The name Praetorian alone conjures up images of opera sets. But seriously, if it can't slice a tomato it doesn't go in my pocket. That's personal choice. Some guys tote Bowies around. YMMV.

Translation: I have no direct experience with what I'm asserting. No offense meant Wayne, but think about it.

Damn, posted this right after your next post (#45) :oops:

Ya got me. I also have no interest in finding out more. It's just not my style.

Just funnin'. The name Praetorian alone conjures up images of opera sets. But seriously, if it can't slice a tomato it doesn't go in my pocket. That's personal choice. Some guys tote Bowies around. YMMV.

That's fair. I actually remember a thread where someone posted a tomato sliced up using a Praetorian, and it devolved into a three page argument where folks were CSI:NYing the ISH out of the pics. "Well, look, there's no juice in that one slice, showing that all the juice was smashed out by the cut!" It was an entertaining read.

I have never liked the 'look' of Hinderer's Slicer grind, never having seen or handled one. Then I had the opportunity to buy one that I could not turn down. Now owning one and carrying / using one what I thought I did not like about the 'look' turned out to be completely wrong in practice. Just saying.

I never found knife weight to be any sort of issue for me personally, I've carried a Satu and 0300 at the same time and never thought it was an issue. Could be a lot of variables, size of person, clothing types, what your packing or how many, etc...

Last edited:
That's fair. I actually remember a thread where someone posted a tomato sliced up using a Praetorian, and it devolved into a three page argument where folks were CSI:NYing the ISH out of the pics. "Well, look, there's no juice in that one slice, showing that all the juice was smashed out by the cut!" It was an entertaining read.
Crazy! :)

I took an Adamas out with me for a few nights last February doing some very basic winter camping. I didn’t pack any fresh tomatoes, I’ll admit, they were canned. But I did prepare a beef stew from scratch, using that fat blade. The carrots were not julienned, the potatoes were quartered, the onion roughly chopped and garlic was mashed. The herbs were dried to begin with anyway. It tasted damn good and kept me going for two days. Not the best kitchen knife, even for camping, but it also did everything else too, bar splitting the firewood, for which I used a fixed blade. It was a deliberate experiment and the Adamas acquitted itself very well indeed. I imagine a Medford would perform just as well and possibly better for all I know! Everyone should enjoy their knives and celebrate the differences. :)

I took an Adamas out with me for a few nights last February doing some very basic winter camping. I didn’t pack any fresh tomatoes, I’ll admit, they were canned. But I did prepare a beef stew from scratch, using that fat blade. The carrots were not julienned, the potatoes were quartered, the onion roughly chopped and garlic was mashed. The herbs were dried to begin with anyway. It tasted damn good and kept me going for two days. Not the best kitchen knife, even for camping, but it also did everything else too, bar splitting the firewood, for which I used a fixed blade. It was a deliberate experiment and the Adamas acquitted itself very well indeed. I imagine a Medford would perform just as well and possibly better for all I know! Everyone should enjoy their knives and celebrate the differences. :)
Love the Adamas too - gave it to my son and he loves it. The Praetorian is a LOT better slicer.

I agree. I don't even really know why Medford threads get some of the comments they get. I mean, these pocket bricks are all toys. Medford, ZT, that Adamas, any "overbuilt "hard use" folder", It's all they are. If someone needs to cut something, they could run out to the dollar store, get a cheap steak knife or kitchen knife, mock up a cardboard sheath for it, and they're off to the races. So, if we're being honest pretty much any financial outlay beyond that (or even a bean-can lid sharpened on a curb even) is really a frivolous outlay of resources. Medfords are no worse than anything else that people spend money on. They do what they're supposed to, and are an absurd exaggeration in design...by design. Same as that Adamas. Does anyone need an overbuilt knife? Nope, can lid takes it. But they're fun, and we're only on this rock for a short time, so might as well enjoy what we enjoy while we can.

UCqiKqZ.jpg

aoMHTPq.jpg

7RhCGCp.jpg

See, the Adamas is one that I owned and sold due to the poor cutting performance. It's a part of the reason that I'm comfortable criticizing the cutting performance of a Medford without having owned one. Could I cut things with the Adamas? Sure. Was it demonstrably worse at cutting them than pretty much any other folder I've owned? Yeah, pretty much. For prying apart furniture and general demolition, it was a beast, but I slice a lot more apples and tomatoes than I do armchairs. ;)

I like the smooth criminal since it's not a frame lock, but I want to hear some more real world experience. Plunge locks can be a bit finiky and it's their first

See, the Adamas is one that I owned and sold due to the poor cutting performance. It's a part of the reason that I'm comfortable criticizing the cutting performance of a Medford without having owned one. Could I cut things with the Adamas? Sure. Was it demonstrably worse at cutting them than pretty much any other folder I've owned? Yeah, pretty much. For prying apart furniture and general demolition, it was a beast, but I slice a lot more apples and tomatoes than I do armchairs. ;)

There is absolutely no comparison between the two though. You are not making a logical comparison. The Demko AD10 and CS 4Maxx also have thick blades in a sabre grind, and they slice pretty darned good. There really is nothing in common between the Adamas and a Praetorian.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two though. You are not making a logical comparison. The Demko AD10 and CS 4Maxx also have thick blades in a sabre grind, and they slice pretty darned good. There really is nothing in common between the Adamas and a Praetorian.
They have almost identical stock and the grind is about the same height. The Praetorian is hollow ground, the Adamas flat, saying they have nothing in common is ridiculous and demonstrably false. Now, which knives does the Praetorian cut better than?

Last edited:
They have almost identical stock and the grind is about the same height. The Praetorian is hollow ground, the Adamas flat, saying they have nothing in common is ridiculous and demonstrably false. Now, which knives does the Praetorian cut better than?
Sorry, but your inexperience with the two is showing here. My Praetorian is A LOT thinner behind the edge then my (son's) Adamas. One is hollow, the other is flat. As I said - as an owner and user of both in question (Adamas [x2] vs Praetorian [x3 tanto + 1 drop point]) - there is nearly zero in common in cutting geometry. Not trying to argue with you IM, but your assertions are simply incorrect.

Sorry, but your inexperience with the two is showing here. My Praetorian is A LOT thinner behind the edge then my (son's) Adamas. One is hollow, the other is flat. As I said - as an owner and user of both in question (Adamas [x2] vs Praetorian [x3 tanto + 1 drop point]) - there is nearly zero in common in cutting geometry. Not trying to argue with you IM, but your assertions are simply incorrect.
Okay, so does the Praetorian cut better than a Spyderco Military? A Cold Steel Recon 1? A Benchmade 710? A Buck 110? Thickness behind the edge is unquestionably important, but a short grind on thick stock absolutely necessitates an obtuse grind that's going to increase your coefficient of friction. That's just the unavoidable, unalterable physics that come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back