Messed up my new Emerson

Use it! It was meant to look like that. If you follow Ernie's philosophy then you are now in possession of a knife that can do it all and ask for more. Life is too short to worry about those scratches. Use the knife until it dies.

Keep it as is and use it. Let it be a reminder each time you see it, what not to do when you attempt to do a sharpening job on a blade that's different.

A-Not care whatsoever

Blades are meant to be used. Use it. Scratches on the blade don't bother me. If anyone asks, tell them you scratched your knife cutting open a Chevy Malibu roof to get a women and baby out of a burning car.

Not sure what you mean. The scratches go FAR beyond the secondary. How is that possible?

He messed up.

No biggie, I'd just use the thing.

Next time, OP, use your hands and or eyes to feel the secondary bevel.

You can get a Kershaw Emerson CQC-8K (it's cheap-er) to practice on, before you do more of the real Emerson chisels.

i've seen worse. don't worry about it and use that blade. You could actually get some scratch brite and some steel wool to blend in the scratches.

I would just continue to beat on it. Knives are meant to be used as tools not fondled. Keep it sharp and enjoy the h*ll out of it.

When resharpening an Emerson, especially a straight chisel grind like the CQC7, it's actually fairly easy to maintain the original angle of the edge bevel by placing the edge bevel side itself flat on a rod or stone (this can be checked visually at first) and then maintaining the knife at that angle with your strokes. At least that's how I've done it.

Jim

I am one of those guys who likes to keep some of my knives like new. I don't own an Emerson but this is how i would feel about this. If it happened to my sebenza i would flip out, but that's why i wouldn't try to sharpen it. I only mess with the knives i would accept getting damaged. The Emerson to me, looks like a knife to beat up. I think it looks better with wear. I actually like those scratches. A knife person would tell they were caused from improper sharpening (we've all done it) but a normal person would see it was wear and tear. I don't think these Emersons are beautiful in that sort of way in which you keep it prestine. Now you paid xxx amount of dollars for the knife, you put those first personal scratches in it, now quit crying and beat that baby up!

I'd use it, but I would definitely experiment on it. You now have a template to improve your sharpening skills on.

Bought it "moderately" used while on vacation.
It's got some scratches on the clip, a chip or two on the scales, and a chip near the beginning of the Tanto.

Sounds like you bought it as a user with a few little things that keep it from being a pristine collectors knife. So, use the heck out of it. If needed, send it to someone to get it sharpened as it should be - or - just be careful next time you sharpen it. It's definitely a user now. And with cosmetic issues you bought it with, why even think about replacing the blade. Use this puppy.

if its a user........iwouldnt care. users gets scratches from use and from sharpening. like a scar.......gives your knife personality.

if this is user knife then use it , it will get scratched anyway , send it in then it needs real work .
I was thinking that. I'll probably just use the heck out of it and wait until it's really messed up to send it in. Anybody have any feedback on Emerson's warranty? A quick search yields results from many years ago.

Must be the season. I recently got a Super Commander, worse yet, in Black Cerakote from Emerson. I am starting to add Wicked Edge sharpening to my skillset and service offerings - I am starting a small business, don't ask why - and after sharpening a handful of "practice" blades with no problem, decided to work on the Emmie. Effed it up way worse than yours; I went from pristine to having all kinds of scratches - the clamps slipped, left trench marks; I overshot angles, left channels; it's a horror show. I'm so torn: a large part of me wants to smash the knife with a sledge in the driveway, so I never have to see it again, and see how badly I effed it. I've actually had it sitting on a towel in the drive with a sledge in my hands...

I swear the knife has bad karma. I've never, never, done so much damage to a knife - and I started sharpening freehand when I was 12 or 13. Even reprofiling on a power bench grinder when I was 15 I didn't make this kind of mistake. Really rookie, really ugly, really makes me feel like a complete and total horse's arse.

I'm going to continue to use it for a bit. I'm working on putting a broader secondary edge that is mirror polished on it; so I get practice remounting the knife in the sharpener to match angles precisely. I contacted Josh at REK; he suggested that a stonewash could be done fairly reasonably, and that would probably take care of the scratches. I'm sure that he could also come up with a reasonable way to put an entire Cerakoting on the blade. I don't have the cash for it now, it will have to wait - but Josh is a high-order Wizard, I've had him do work for me before. I would have him do the work before I ever contacted Emerson, btw.

I had previously put a new titanium pivot screw and standoffs on the knife. The pivot screw was blue; the first time Simichrome touched it, all anodizing came off in 2 seconds, with one wipe of the cloth. I called Emerson about their hardware - bought the stuff off their site - and was literally told that my pivot screw was still blue, and that I just couldn't see. But, the guy said, if I'm going to raise so much fuss, he'll send me a new one, maybe I'll like that one better. But, he warned me, what I described was literally impossible, and couldn't be happening.

Good luck with your Emmie. If I'm in a bad enough frame of mind someday, I'll post pics of my mess.

Back