Michigan Utility Knife and 24/7 Passaround Signup

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Okay ladies and gents, time for another pass-around of my upcoming prototypes.

Signup open until 3/20/20
Knives expected to ship to 1st participant around 4/10/20

The Michigan Utility knife (general purpose knife) and 24/7 knife (EDC/B&T design) prototypes are scheduled for the end of March and the stuff John needs is already in his hands so those are confirmed. We pushed off a bushcraft model into April so I have adequate time to vet the design and work through some wood mockups before getting something made for use.

The Michigan Utility Knife will be a general purpose knife with a slightly canted blade to push the belly towards the material being cut. The handle is very ergonomically designed, but it won't be the most neutral design so it may be a little limiting for some in the woodcraft scene that love a chest lever technique.

Rough Specs:
3/32" thick O1 tool steel
4" blade
4.5" handle
0.75" handle thickness
natural canvas micarta
saber grind

9nYmtM2l.jpg

The 24/7 knife is designed to be something comfortable enough to use a lot, but small enough that it's still convenient to carry. The blade is a little taller than many bird and trout designs and matched with a full-height grind it will be a great slicer with a compact but nicely curved handle that will fit most hands very well. This is a little more of a traditionally shaped blade compared to what I've put out recently.

Rough Specs:
3/32" thick O1 tool steel
3" blade
3 7/8" handle
0.60" handle thickness
black canvas micarta
full height grind

MdzqxcSl.jpg

Conditions: Each person will get the knives they wish to test for at least 2 weeks unless I get a lot of people signing up. Heavy batoning is not acceptable but being reasonable with some wood processing is okay. A general rule of thumb, use it like it was yours knowing that you plan to pass it on to someone else. Sharpen and maintain if you can, otherwise send it to me and I'll forward it to the next person in line after maintenance.

John's HT is pretty tough so I don't foresee damage on these but if you do, send it back to me so I can correct and continue the passaround. Or, contact me about it before correcting it. Edge rolling and very small chips, while pretty unlikely, I will not consider excessive damage but please let me know what you did to make it occur.

NO TIP strength tests. Broken tips from abuse puts you on my shit list. These are thin knives, not pry bars. Treat them as such.

I'm generally pretty forgiving and will give you the benefit of the doubt, but obvious bad decisions will not be treated well.

The exception to the above statements, if you want to do abusive testing, message me and I will consider putting you at the end of the list so if something were to happen it will have less impact on those following in the test. You will need to tell me what you plan to do that is abusive for approval so I'm not surprised if it breaks and so I can judge if I think it's too risky. Again, John's HT on his O1 is tough but sensibility needs to prevail as well.

This is currently limited to the US participants but I may be able to send it out after the passaround for foreign BF members interested in trying out the designs.

My expectations: You tell me what you liked, didn't like, comments, suggestions, and similar things that allow me to fine-tune the design or gauge how much y'all like or dislike the knives. I do not expect a huge review, but I would appreciate if you're willing. My expectation for the passaround process is to get this feedback while also getting the design into people's hands before the product launch to help potential customers decide if they want to buy it when that time comes, at limited cost (shipping to next person in line).

Feedback can be sent to me directly or posted publicly in this thread.

I will not discourage honest, negative feedback posted here but I do want to be notified first so I'm not blindsided by a bad review.

Lastly, you must be willing to pay shipping back to me or to the next person in line. I will provide information for getting the knives to the next people in line when I get the list.

Last edited:
The Utility blade looks a little like some of the old Hen and Rooster upswept skinners. And I like the slightly wider blade profile of the 24/7. Cool designs. Good to put off the Bushcrafter style knife for now.

There seems to be interest in the Michigan Utility Knife, so I’m planning on doing a “Making Of “ thread showing all the steps involved in making this design.
I'd be interested in seeing what type of equipment you use to make something like this especially since you heat treat in house.;)

Last call! You have until the end of next week to signup for the passaround. I think there is another person intersted that will get the Michigan UK at the end but they haven't confirmed with me yet.

My current list is as follows, though this may not necessarily be the order you receive the knife in as I'll optimize the order for shipping when I get all participants. Please correct me if there are errors.
upload_2020-3-10_9-18-36.png

Tomorrow is the last day. I should be getting the knives next week, I'll spend some time playing with them, and then we'll get the schedule made and things sent out.

I cannot even tell you how cool it is seeing the progress of the MUK in John's thread about making the knife. There's something really satisfying about seeing a design come to life. I'm sure it's even more fantastic if you make your own knives, but that's not something I'm talented or equipped enough to do yet.

woodysone woodysone greatscoot greatscoot Nature Boy Nature Boy Wurrwulf Wurrwulf f1addict f1addict

Below is the tentative schedule for the Michigan utility knife and 24/7 knife. I should be receiving them in the next couple of days and then I will send them after I feel I've had adequate time to test them myself and then send them on their way.

upload_2020-3-22_17-3-47.png

Wurrwulf, greatscoot, and Nature Boy, please email me your contact and shipping information along. GoodKnifeCo@gmail.com

If these time frames don't work out for you, please let me know and I can make adjustments as needed. There is only one person trying out two knives so this one is pretty easy to move people around to give people adequate time to test them out.

Please review the rules and conditions in the OP. By accepting to part of the passaround I will assume you have read them and agree to the terms about how to treat my knives.

I'm excited to get these in-hand and also to get them into yours for some trials, testing, and talking.

Cheers!

Back