Michigan Utility Knife and 24/7 Passaround Signup

I'll be heading to the post office later today, but first I wanted to give my impression of the Good Knife Co. 24/7.

I said earlier, the knife is very comfortable in hand and maintains that comfort even after extended use. The tall drop point blade creates stability when pushing or pulling long cuts through cardboard. It doesn't wriggle around or try to change directions; it goes straight with maximum efficiency. The blade is not so tall that it can't do detail work, however. I was able to core green bell peppers with ease using the first inch or so of the blade; a definite benefit of the drop point design.

The handle shape is comfortable in every position I tried- from a delicate, handle butt in palm grip that I used on the bell peppers to a full hammer grip when slicing cardboard.

I never found myself wanting for a longer blade or a longer handle. I think the handle thickness is a great sweet spot between comfort and pocketability.

Pocketability is where I'll conclude. Naturally, during these current times of stay-at-home and social distancing, I've only had a half dozen or so instances in which I went further than a walk with the dog. I think, somehow, this actually let me focus on how this knife rides in my pocket. I would wake up and throw it in the left pocket of my basketball shorts and bum around the house, lie on the couch, etc. It was, frankly, surprising how many times I would realize that I had completely forgotten that I was carrying it. That's understandable for my Bluegill and Hurley Creek as they are truly small knives. The 24/7 is noticeably larger in all aspects, yet it carries like a much smaller knife. Even when confined to the tighter space of my jean's pockets, it was practically invisible. Riding next to my slim wallet in my LFP, I made a few trips to the grocery store/gas station and found myself surprised to bump into the 24/7 when reaching for my wallet. I had forgotten it was in there.

If you've found something like John's Bluegill to be a bit too small for your liking but are still looking for a capable, well made knife that hides away easily in your pocket, be sure to check out the Good Knife Co. 24/7. Thanks again for letting me guinea pig for you, and I hope that once things return to some semblance of normalcy, I'll be able to scoop one up.

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200420081452748-COVER-2.jpg

Look at those straight cuts, even through the bent up and damaged corners of the box!

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200420083902782-COVER-2.jpg

Comparison to my Bluegill

Thank you much for the review Wurrwulf Wurrwulf and I'm glad it treated you well during the past couple weeks. Sounds like you put it through a lot of different tasks and left you smiling. I will say, John did a kick ass job with the front 1" where the deeper drop starts. It's a lazer point.

The current testers should be rounding out their time with the prototypes this week and have them getting ready to around the weekend, give or take a few days.

Please get me tracking info when you're able to so that I know they're on their way to the next place and I can let the next people know.

If you have pictures, comments, or a brief review you would like to share, that would be awesome around that time as well if you're able to. I'm really interested to see what you both thought of them.

A quick review of a great knife...

First impressions after unboxing — love the size and shape of the blade. Almost makes the handle seem too small. The first couple of times using the knife sort of confirmed that the handle did seem too small. However, the more I used it, I came to realíze the handle is perfect! Just the right size. If it were any larger, it wouldn’t be as pocketable.

The 24/7 has a very substantial feel to it. It is very well designed and very well made. The balance is perfect.

The other day my wife was prepping some vegetables. I asked her to use the 24/7 to get her opinion. She loved it! She thought it was the perfect size for her, and she made quick work of the veggies.

Overall, I’m very impressed by the 24/7. In fact, I’ve asked Chad to put me on the list for one of my own!

For size comparison, here is the 24/7 with a SAK Tinkerer.
QQMj7T5.jpg

Here is the 24/7 next to a Spyderco Para 3 LW.
7pg0uys.jpg

Here is a random pic from the other night.
USzWeoX.jpg

Same for the 24/7. Haven’t heard anything...

The 24/7 arrived to a friend who isn't on bf so U'll relay any thoughts. The MUK landed as well but it was pretth delayed. I've been tracking my other two passarounds right now as one is about 12 days behind and the other was slightly delayed but I think has been in hand to the tester for about a week.

The Michigan Utility Knife is about ready for the next tester, who isn't on BF. I'll solicit some feedback from the guy about the 24/7 as well since it's the same guy. Someone I used to work with that I got along with really well and who liked knives and other portable tools/gear.

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Things have been kind of crazy lately. I really liked the M.U.K., it's a big knife and I was only able to use it a few times in the kitchen. It was a great slicer with 3/32's and really comfortable with my finger resting on top of the blade. I wish I had more time and the opportunity to be able to put it through some more testing.

Things have been kind of crazy lately. I really liked the M.U.K., it's a big knife and I was only able to use it a few times in the kitchen. It was a great slicer with 3/32's and really comfortable with my finger resting on top of the blade. I wish I had more time and the opportunity to be able to put it through some more testing.

I've received similar sentiments from another tester. Maybe when things calm down I'll have to send that one back out to a couple people as the timing near the start of the COVID craziness didn't help some people out. The option to rent is always there as well for a little more financial investment ($6 + shipping and a $20 refundable deposit once the knife is returned).

From my ex-coworker who is testing out the MUK.

"I love the Michigan Utility knife it's balance is perfect and is a nice fit in my hand. Great for day to day use."

Back