Micro Bawanna Bowie Folder concept.

I decided to go another step toward the Micro folder idea. A little cardboard, superglue, and several renditions later I came up with a working model of a lockback folder. It folds, locks, and does everything its supposed to except look good and cut:rolleyes: Mainly just wanted a proof of concept since Ive never done this before. Im now convinced its possible.

acd7cda2033417898d940e32f33189ff

e3c79548b1f1ebee719f267e27d0a9c4

aa9dd55011bc4d25f971f84151524038

27518c02de2fc036e0315e0a20f7865b

The blade bottoms out on a flat spot behind the cho. The handle shape pretty much had to be curved due to the wide blade. I wanted a lanyard hole and room for the spring this is what I came up with.

3126be6924fda75b1ee11293376e17b0

I'm thinking hardened brass for the frame and end caps (maybe "damascus") and maybe stag for the scales. It will probably be heavy but what the heck? I think it would be cool to do. I have no problem doing the mill work and have access to a full machine shop daily so that is not a problem. Im open to any suggestions or abuse!

Holy Crap! Very nice job Bro! I am going to have to save up even more now. I am going have to get a Scara Suga, and now a Doggie Folder!

You put some effort into that son. Don't stop now. The handle will be a bit trickier being a folder but doable.
Remember its not Damascus, its pattern welded. Bookie taught me that when he forgot how to do Damascus a few lives back.

Yeah I though i put quotes around that but guess i forgot? I did put way too much time into it to give up. I have to admit it would be hard to cut a Bhakta micro in half. I wouldnt do that until i was absolutely sure it would work.

I'm not a folder guy in general, but I'd go for one of those.

You mention hardened brass for the frame. Thick brass, I hope, because the open space between the two handle plates (I'm not sure if there's a word for that) might make the knife too forward heavy in the open position.

Also, well-beveled at the edges of the handle plates (frame), since this will be much heavier than any typical folder, and you don't want handle edges cutting into the hand.

Your model doesn't show dimensions. I think handle size will have to dictate blade size, and the handle needs to be right for an average sized hand, or if it's special-ordered, the hand size of the person who orders it.

Definitely worth pursuing.

You mention hardened brass for the frame. Thick brass, I hope, because the open space between the two handle plates (I'm not sure if there's a word for that) might make the knife too forward heavy in the open position.

Also, well-beveled at the edges of the handle plates (frame), since this will be much heavier than any typical folder, and you don't want handle edges cutting into the hand.

Your model doesn't show dimensions. I think handle size will have to dictate blade size, and the handle needs to be right for an average sized hand, or if it's special-ordered, the hand size of the person who orders it.

Very nice proof of conceptQ :thumbup:I wouldn't use yellow brass myself, it can get green and gummy along with darn heavy. Not really good for coastal or marine environments.

White Brass is less likely to green up. Have you looked at Warwood or other synthetics?? site.http://www.jephcosupply.com/products_handlematerial/handle.html
Clean and low weight stuff! I've made some fixed blade Military style knives with it a while back, Strong too.

Last edited:
My OH My isn't that a pretty thing? That is one of the best looking folders ever. I am not sure about the Synthetics Rhino lists for 2 reasons, 1 the weight of the blade. As Davidf99 points out the blade might make the knife pretty forward weighted if the handle isn't at least as heavy. And 2, an HI blade in my mind needs traditional materials. But then that is only my opinion and I know many folks don't feel that way after all. But I think item 1 might be a real issue.

Thats a very good observation. I think your right since the blade is so thick. It would probably be easy to get some hand meat in there during certain tasks.

I thought about this after the photo shoot. I forgot to include the rule. The grip on this model is the same size as the first run of Micros. It would be easy to compromise tho. I was worried if I made it any longer it may look funky when opened. The overall balance and appearance might look like all handle.

I have 1/8" thick sheet brass...
Thats what I was thinking Bookie. No less than 1/8". I was thinking id have to have something to mount the pins to for the scales and locking lever. If it was brass I could braze it. I could also use nickel silver on everything, corby bolts and keep it all mechanical. These are the details I need to figure out now.

Very nice proof of conceptQ :thumbup:I wouldn't use yellow brass myself, it can get green and gummy along with darn heavy. Not really good for coastal or marine environments.

White Brass is less likely to green up. Have you looked at Warwood or other synthetics?? site.http://www.jephcosupply.com/products_handlematerial/handle.html
Clean and low weight stuff! I've made some fixed blade Military style knives with it a while back, Strong too.
I did think about the brass tarnishing but since the blade is carbon steel you would have to keep it fairly clean anyway so it may not be such an issue. Ideally I would like to be able to disassemble it for cleaning etc. but with the scales permanently glued to frame of course. Thanks for that link! The synthetics would be cool but for the structural frame part im not sure how id mount things up to it. That ivory is really nice! I like that idea for the scales. Ivory and nickel silver would look great together I think. Bone would look great too in the style of the Bashpati next to brass:thumbup:

My OH My isn't that a pretty thing? That is one of the best looking folders ever. I am not sure about the Synthetics Rhino lists for 2 reasons, 1 the weight of the blade. As Davidf99 points out the blade might make the knife pretty forward weighted if the handle isn't at least as heavy. And 2, an HI blade in my mind needs traditional materials. But then that is only my opinion and I know many folks don't feel that way after all. But I think item 1 might be a real issue.
Thanks Shavri! I think your right on the weight. I have considered that using brass would make it. Not much I can use that would be light and still be able to mount pins and or hardware to. If HI were to make something like this then traditional materials etc would be absolutely mandatory. I havent even thought about the Kamis making this? I was mainly doing it as a personal project. Would be cool to see them make a folder but that would probably be too labor intensive especially locking backs. Thanks for the ideas all. Keep em coming!

So are you planning on a thumb stud, or will it take two hands to open it?

Im hoping I can get it adjusted out using wavespring washers so it can be gravity opened (probably a term for that?) but a thumb stud is and option. Ive never been fond of thumb studs because I find it hard to sharpen with one. This blade has such a high angle that I may be able to get along with that idea tho. Thanks for the idea. Im starting to like that already:thumbup:

edit: Now that i go back and think about it I wonder if I could just cut out the fuller (sword of shiva) on the inside enough to get your thumb into and flick it out. The blade is pretty heavy so I think once you get it out a bit you could just flick it open.

That looks phenomenal:eek:

What would you think about modifying one to see if the kamis could make it? I'm thinking something like the Svord peasant knife:
products-2227-2-large_Svord-One-Hand-Opening-New-Zealand-Peasant-Knife---SV132.jpg

Im hoping I can get it adjusted out using wavespring washers so it can be gravity opened (probably a term for that?) but a thumb stud is and option. Ive never been fond of thumb studs because I find it hard to sharpen with one. This blade has such a high angle that I may be able to get along with that idea tho. Thanks for the idea. Im starting to like that already:thumbup:

edit: Now that i go back and think about it I wonder if I could just cut out the fuller (sword of shiva) on the inside enough to get your thumb into and flick it out. The blade is pretty heavy so I think once you get it out a bit you could just flick it open.

Interesting idea, using the fuller. Though I in general prefer thumb studs. The alternate methods just don't open as smoothly or reliably for me. But I would be curious to see how well the deep fuller works in place of a stud.

I could just cut out the fuller (sword of shiva) on the inside enough to get your thumb into and flick it out. The blade is pretty heavy so I think once you get it out a bit you could just flick it open.

That sounds like a super idea, I think that is something the kamis will be able to do pretty easily.

Back