Native Chief or Military

• Chief

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • Military

Votes: 37 40.2%

• Total voters

ferider

Gold Member
So, now that I have both in hands, I've to admit that I can't decide yet which I prefer.

i-bwTCKMH-X3.jpg

i-z7PZ5Mp-X3.jpg

i-t3thhgG-X3.jpg

In contrast to the Native Chief, the Military obviously has steel liners, and comes in my favorite steels (the one above is 204p). The Chief has a spectacular shape, however. For me, the lock strength is a wash, as the Chief backlock pivot is hinged in G10 only.

What about you ?

Roland.

I've owned 2 Military models and 1 Chief. I prefer the Chief due to thinner blade thickness (3.2mm vs Military 3.7mm), tip up option, thinner profile when closed in pocket, and linerless g10. I also like the lack of thumb ramp and backlock. I also like that it costs less than $160.

The Native Chief looks like my type of knife. I'll definitely get one, but might keep my powder dry until it comes with some colored G10 and a more interesting steel. I think for many the size will be too much but for those who like big folders it's a big winner.

As for which, totally personal. I love the military.

I was wondering how much of a role that played with users.
Seems like it will be a hit with its thinner blade stock. The Manix2 backlock bombed IMO bc of the thick blade stock and lack of sprint/exclusive. Hopefully they sprint/exclusive the Chief too to keep people interested.

Last edited:
It's not a question of one or the other for me.

I've got 5 Millies already and I'll buy a Native Chief via OpFocus, if they ever start selling them from the Factory Store on the Spyderco site.

But, still no sign of them there yet. :(

Update 6/5/19: Broke down and bought a Native Chief from an online dealer. The price difference between MAP and OpFocus pricing wasn't enough to bother waiting. Don't know what's up w/Spyderco but it seems like NONE of their recent releases ever seem to be available for sale from the Factory Store, unless you get lucky and one shows up (like it did for me w/the Drunken) when you happen to be looking.

Last edited:
I'd be all over the Military model if they changed their clip design to RH Tip Up configuration, or at least gave an option for it. I suppose you could always get aftermarket scales for it but from factory it was a no go due to that.

The chief is a bit better looking and can be carried tip up so that's my vote seriously considering one ..... have never owned the military

The Chief's narrower profile looks great, but one of the things I like best about the Millie is the absence of a large 50/50 choil. The smaller choil is perfectly functional and gives me more usable edge, so that's definitely a point in the Millie's favor.

I’ve gained a greater appreciation of back locks recently. I was sorta lamenting not grabbing a Manix BL until the Native Chief was announced.

I’m holding out hope for a Chief Salt with LC200N in the same linerless G10 configuration... but I might not hold out forever.

I greatly prefer the lock on the Chief and it is a very sophisticated looking design. I have a Millie, and it is a favorite, but if the Chief feels good in the hand then the Chief will be my choice.

The only problem I see with the Native Chief is the effort for large bladed folders will go to the new knife and lessen sprints in the Military platform. A shame if this comes to pass, as military sprints and exclusives are few and far between when compared to other models already.

There were already many sprints/dealer exclusives of Military, which generally did not sell as fast/well as other models like PM2. I would very much like to see the effort to be made on limited runs of Native Chief.

I’ve gained a greater appreciation of back locks recently. I was sorta lamenting not grabbing a Manix BL until the Native Chief was announced.

I’m holding out hope for a Chief Salt with LC200N in the same linerless G10 configuration... but I might not hold out forever.

That would make it a must buy. Same with a LC200N Millie ;)

Just received the Native Chief and I like it a lot!

In fact, I think that I actually like it better than the Police 3, Military G10 and Resilience that are pictured with it below.

Although it has a 4" blade (give or take a fraction), as all of the others do, it doesn't feel like you are holding a sword, as you do w/the Police 3 and Resilience; its thinner handle is more comfortable to hold than the Military; and, the lack of a hump and the better visual balance between the blade/handle makes the knife generally more aesthetically appealing to me than the others.

I'll post further comments after I've had a chance to actually carry it later.

A very nice alternative for those who like to carry bigger knives like these (like I do). :)

MDtLvasl.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult to compare these two
The military has a long history behind him and you can get a lot of variation in steel and Colors for this model

I like the concept of the chief better but it is a new design and it doesn’t have the variety of the military
I am curious to see what other options and steels with be used for the chief in the future

I voted Military, but I hasten to add that the Chief is the first of the Native family (including Shaman) that I find appealing. I find its lengthened and narrowed design to be quite rational, and with a few nice Sprints/Exclusives, Spyderco could have a real winner on it's hands.

Back