Miners axe, rafting axe, construction axe

w
I ran into this 5 pound Collins rafting axe over the weekend but was unable to buy it. This came down from Mountain Village, Alaska back in 1976. The other corner or the poll shows some chipping, a testament to its hardened poll. Wish I coulda got this one. May still one day.

Collins%201.jpg

Square_peg,i was given an axe that seems awfully similar....No markings,but the markings on the one you show are so faint,that i easily could've missed them...I pegged it for a chinese turd,in part because of the aluminum wedge/crappy handle combination(seemingly original),and the most Awfullest balance EVER,overall(at least as handled...).The poll matches the one above in measurements,but IF it's hardened,it's tempered considerable,as it distorts when used to drive a steel splitting-wedge...(a rude thing to do,i know,but i did take an instant dislike to the critter....).
I'm traveling around the state now,but once i get back home,i can send it to you,you seem to like this shape....(if the C content is there,which it probably is,you could easily bump up the hardness of the poll,see no problem with that...).

I've got this old (I don't know how old) head that almost looks like a hudson bay pattern, but it's about 3.5 lbs with what seems to be a hardened poll. It may be hand forged, there are two markings on it I can't decipher. I had never done anything with it because it seemed clumsy to me, but I got the itch to try and figure it out. Ran across this thread and thought it might be a type of rafting or construction axe. I've sharpened it and hung it on an ash handle. None of the standard handles I could find would fit the eye, so I had to make one from scratch. I haven't the foggiest idea whether the handle pattern is even close to what it was designed for, but I took a guess.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this axe might be? What kind of handle it would take?

Last edited:
A catalog page (listed as being from 1930) showing a 5-pound Plumb Constructors' axe.

$_57.JPG

The label has
DREADNAUGHT
at the top, and
THE SOLID STEEL AXE
at the bottom, and
PLUMB
in a box in the center, surrounded by a circular banner, the top half saying
DOUBLE LIFE

The catalog description says:

First quality. Especially designed for heavy construction work, such as mine timbering, railroad maintenance, bridge, dock and road building. Made of one piece of high grade special analysis steel. Blade tempered for depth of two inches. Holds a sharp, fast cutting edge; 36 in. mahoganized extra grade handle. Specially tempered sledge head to withstand constant pounding... DOZEN $50.00 ... one half dozen in a crate. Heads inclosed -- Handles projecting.

Interesting that the 1937 catalog from Warren Axe & Tool still had "Rafting" axes, but by 1930 (if the date is correct) Plumb had Constructors' axes.

Last edited:
I used a little Plumb rafting pattern to demolish some lath and plaster walls on a little remodel last weekend. A 4lb head on a 28" straight haft is pretty handy for such work and plenty big enough. It will solicit a couple glances from some of the other trades.

. . .

Interesting that the 1937 catalog from Warren Axe & Tool still had "Rafting" axes, but by 1930 (if the date is correct) Plumb had Constructors' axes.
Marketing?

I think it's notable that the axe pattern is called "rafting" in the old American axe manufacturer catalogs, not "miners" nor "construction" axes (names that must have caught on after the heyday of log rafts). . .

Bob

back in the 80's, we de-watered and rehabilitated a pre-WW2 mine. among the stuff we found was something very similar to this:
122356486730_1_0_1.jpg

not really a working ax, more of an all-purpose tool.

I never copied this eye wall photo over to the rafting axe thread so here it is.
For comparison here are a few rafting axes plus a Michigan for contrast.

Rafting%20axe%20profiles.jpg

L-R
Warren Old Faithful rafting axe
Kelly Woodslasher 3.5 lb. Michigan
Walters rafting axe (I love those thick eye walls!!)
Plumb rafting axe

It's interesting that the Walters is short in the poll but massive in the eye walls. We've all seen axes that were used as wedges and had the eye blown out. I don't think that would happen with the Walters. The Plumb has thicker eye walls than it appears from this image - bad angle. The Old Faithful has surprisingly narrow eye walls for a rafting axe. That was one of Warren's premium lines so maybe it's OK but I would shy away from heavy pounding with that axe.

This axe has more questions than answers…

Here are some red herrings (?):
vintage-forest-king-axe-label-oakland-maine_1_a4d852ae159a127ad3e9545e853a8853.jpg

Forest King Axe, Emerson & Stevens

Smarts%20Forest%20King.jpg

Forest King Axe, James Smart Mfg. Co.

Another red herring (?):
vintage-forest-king-axe-handle-nos-hickory-28-inch-single-bit-boys-axe-handle-nr-321056b73114d936d3cf75983e079788.jpg

Forest King replacement handle

Another red herring (?):
YesteryearsTools lists "Forest King" as one of two dozen "brands associated with the Warren Axe & Tool Co."

But...
logging-brush-axe-forest-king-excellent-shape_1_e4fe37e928c63c330ac41976da4aea77.jpg

"Forest King" label on brush axe, with Council Tool stamp.

Similar label on light-blue axe heads:
s-l225.jpg

https://goo.gl/images/xErGpV

Closer to the truth (?):
data.jsp

Word Mark FOREST KING
Goods and Services
(EXPIRED) IC 008. US 023. G & S: AXES, SHOVELS, AND MACHETES. FIRST USE: 19671001.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19671001
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS...
Serial Number 72453197
Filing Date April 2, 1973...
Registration Number 0997524
Registration Date November 5, 1974
Owner (REGISTRANT) RAYMOND, DON DBA FOREST KING UNKNOWN 1002 AIRPORT WAY S. SEATTLE WASHINGTON 98134

Looks like a "private label" for a retailer or distributor in the Seattle area.

Last edited:
Thank you as always Steve Tall!

It looks, for all intents and purposes, similar to a lot of rafting axes I find - a little like a Collins (Not the "M" marked ones) but has some decent cheeks.

Also, what would be your guess on the bit jutting out at the heel? Doesn't look to be user ground behind it.

This axe has more questions than answers…

Forest King Rafter by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

This baby'd make for 'yer quintessential quinton-styled "wood buster"! No runout because of the straight shaft, plus optimal grain orientation for flex and cushion against negative forearm vibes. Sure looks to me like this axe can tolerate a real workout, and judging by the paint has been on 'stand-by' up to now. Go for it! There's a new landscape retaining wall in your future that doesn't require a separate saw/axe and sledges for fitting timbers and driving spikes.

I'm betting it's a Swede (similar to Stro-Bro). That would have been the low cost import at the time. Lot's of Scandihoovian connections in Seattle. And that address is just a stone's throw away from where Seattle Hardware was selling Stro-Bros.

It also looks a bit like a Collins but I don't think Mann would have let one out with that grind.

Back