Mini/folding cleavers. Why?

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hey Folks,

I just saw a post about a new Spyderco called the Stovepipe. It’s a folding “cleaver” and it got me wondering about this again.

What’s the deal with tiny/folding cleavers? CRKT even makes a Minimalist with a cleaver-style blade.

Perhaps it’s just a fashion/trendy kinda thing, and that’s fine, but is there more to it?

Does anyone out there have a purpose for this style of blade that wouldn’t be served as well or better by most other profiles?

Serious question - I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad for buying/carrying one - they do look cool, but I just honestly don’t get it as a tool.

That's minimalist cleaver :^D

OnhzUFK.jpg

Hey Folks,

I just saw a post about a new Spyderco called the Stovepipe. It’s a folding “cleaver” and it got me wondering about this again.

What’s the deal with tiny/folding cleavers? CRKT even makes a Minimalist with a cleaver-style blade.

Perhaps it’s just a fashion/trendy kinda thing, and that’s fine, but is there more to it?

Does anyone out there have a purpose for this style of blade that wouldn’t be served as well or better by most other profiles?

Serious question - I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad for buying/carrying one - they do look cool, but I just honestly don’t get it as a tool.
I was wondering the same thing.

Hey Folks,

Same reason there is the "harpoon" design. Just marketing hype.
Do your want your knife to get stuck into something when you stab? I don't 🤷‍♂️

I think some of them look fine, like the Kershaw Parley. I just wish they used better steel for them.

I think that the Leave it to Cleaver folders are marketed for people who need a Wharncliffe, but feel they're way too young and hip for that kind of blade shape.

You answered your own question.
"It looks cool"
That's it. There is no further need for explanation.
Many products have been purchased on looks alone. I remember when the car guys I knew would talk about the Chevy Monte Carlo SS in the late 80's. The term they often used was "all show, and no go", because although it looked badass, the engine wasn't up to snuff. Especially when compared to older models. I have NO idea whether they were right about the Monte or not, but I found the term interesting and it has just stuck with me over the years.

They would work great in my job as an electrician and HVAC serviceman. I personally prefer tantos and pointy sheepsfoot/wharncliffes but would still find infinite use in a pocket cleaver and wouldn't knock anyone else's decision to choose one. Any tradesman should find them useful for that matter. Consider if you will, another useful tool that their blade shape resembles:

NM0gjru.jpg

I'll add to my previous thought that I think sheepsfoot and wharncliffes tend to lend themselves to traditional knife designs better than they do modern/tactical styles where they seem kinda awkward. Blade shapes like tantos and cleavers however, seem to get around this and effectively apply the straight edge geometry to a modern, tactical knife design.

fashion/trendy kinda thing,

I think so.

I doubt it. I made an EDC size seax, as one of a number of options in a recent sale I posted. It is the only one that didn't sell. It's not quite the EDC cleaver style, but close I think. I know it's not folding, but I think I can still speak on the design itself.

IMG_4578.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG

I claimed it for myself, and put it to work today. It's a fine wharncliffe for box making, but a standard wharncliffe blade would be a little more intuitive and natural for this task. I made this one not because I think the design is a leading design, but because I believe there is someone out there who might like this exact design over another. But since all the other knives sold first, it gave me a chance to dig into this one and see what more I can learn. And so far the design is serviceable, but again not my first choice for ... anything.

I'm using it with a fob by the way. All those knives went out with fobs (or technically, will go out, as Canada Post postponed their mail pickup in my neighbourhood due to snow), since it was what I had in mind when I first chose the size of the handle and blade.

I don’t think there is a need for it, most likely someone did research and found out that there is a market niche for such product so they cashed on it. I’ve seen some Chinese companies making those over time, I think Kizer had model or two…
‘I had one of the more normal looking models - Gerber Flatiron. I never used it, gave it away in a Christmas GAW,
but I can see the use of it, especially with longer blade as the Flatiron. Truth be told, to me Flatiron looks more as a modified razor but I guess it could go for “cleaver” too, depends of your point of view…
‘I did like the make of it but didn’t have any use for it since I had so many working knives and also didn’t see any way of customizing it with the 13Mov steel or whatever they put on it…
Solid knife overall, not bad for the $40+ I bought it a year or so ago.

988jo0.jpg

wZ75kU.jpg

I dont think there is a purpose. While I'm sure there are slight advantage to small folding REAL cleavers (not warnies and sheepies) than other blade shapes, it's mostly marketing.

So...why do they exist? Because variety is the spice of life. They're hoping it'll turn into the next yoga pants or small SUV...everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

My thoughts :)

I think so.

I doubt it. I made an EDC size seax, as one of a number of options in a recent sale I posted. It is the only one that didn't sell. It's not quite the EDC cleaver style, but close I think. I know it's not folding, but I think I can still speak on the design itself.

View attachment 1723351
View attachment 1723352

I claimed it for myself, and put it to work today. It's a fine wharncliffe for box making, but a standard wharncliffe blade would be a little more intuitive and natural for this task. I made this one not because I think the design is a leading design, but because I believe there is someone out there who might like this exact design over another. But since all the other knives sold first, it gave me a chance to dig into this one and see what more I can learn. And so far the design is serviceable, but again not my first choice for ... anything.

I'm using it with a fob by the way. All those knives went out with fobs [or technically, will go out, as Canada Post postponed their mail pickup in my neighbourhood due to snow), since it was what I had in mind when I first chose the size of the handle and blade.
I almost pulled the trigger on that one.

You answered your own question.
"It looks cool"
That's it. There is no further need for explanation.
Many products have been purchased on looks alone. I remember when the car guys I knew would talk about the Chevy Monte Carlo SS in the late 80's. The term they often used was "all show, and no go", because although it looked badass, the engine wasn't up to snuff. Especially when compared to older models. I have NO idea whether they were right about the Monte or not, but I found the term interesting and it has just stuck with me over the years.
Unfortunately they were right about the Monte. I owned its cousin, the Olds 442, and although the low gearing was enough to get em off the line, they lost steam quick after about 40mph.

Back