Mini/folding cleavers. Why?

That's minimalist cleaver :^D

OnhzUFK.jpg
This is actually kind of cool. It looks like a modified Ulu knife.

If you don’t need a point for what your doing and you like the look then why not have a cleaver.
also a cleaver has a very obtuse tip so you don’t have to worry about it breaking under heavy use.
or for scuba divers a lot of times you don’t want a tip for safety reasons so again why not?
now this might not really matter for folders but for say competition choppers for example if you have a length limit your working with, having a cleaver can mean you can get more weight out by the tip to get more energy into each chop.
idk just some ideas.

If you don’t need a point for what your doing and you like the look then why not have a cleaver.
also a cleaver has a very obtuse tip so you don’t have to worry about it breaking under heavy use.
or for scuba divers a lot of times you don’t want a tip for why not?
now this might not really matter for folders but for say competition choppers for example if you have a length limit your working with, having a cleaver can mean you can get more weight out by the tip to get more energy into each chop.
idk just some ideas.

I also don't think most of us are the rugged outdoors men that premium knife shapes are necessary.

Hey Folks,

I just saw a post about a new Spyderco called the Stovepipe. It’s a folding “cleaver” and it got me wondering about this again.

What’s the deal with tiny/folding cleavers? CRKT even makes a Minimalist with a cleaver-style blade.

Perhaps it’s just a fashion/trendy kinda thing, and that’s fine, but is there more to it?

Does anyone out there have a purpose for this style of blade that wouldn’t be served as well or better by most other profiles?

Serious question - I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad for buying/carrying one - they do look cool, but I just honestly don’t get it as a tool.
You can check out my review of the Mini Bullmastiff in the knife reviews forum! Hehehe.

In summary, I think it’s simply another flavor in our menu of blade shapes. I don’t think the cleaver shape is inherently better than the clip point or drop point in any one aspect, but done right, it can be a fantastic slicer and all around utility blade. The considerable height adds to slicing performance I suppose, even if it does add bulk as well. You don’t really get a ”point” with a cleaver, but as long as you don’t need to poke anything, you’re good.

Mini/folding cleavers are what I like to call functional novelties. Nothing revolutionary, but they’re nice to have.

Looks dumb to me. Can't figure out what its function is supposed to be. Chopping? There are more functional cleavers available.

Closest thing I own , has a point and a broad leaf blade . Great slicer but not a turning knife .

Most small , light weight , folding "cleavers ", with no point or chisel , have little or no functional / utility use that I can tell .

A slicing monster, for sure. So thin behind the edge. 👍

I used to think that the EDC-sized folding cleavers were dumb. Then Kizer did a special Halloween edition of their Sheepdog. Having missed their Halloween knife the year before, I basically bought it as a novelty purchase. It's something silly that I could stand to carry for a week or so each year.

Well, now I get it. Throwing out that big rectangular chunk of steel with the little flipper tab is fun! It takes something I've enjoyed in the action of my big-bladed Civivi Naja and cranks it up to the next level.

They can be way slicey in a folder since there is so much territory between edge and spine, ultimately it depends on the overall design but they're not useless or anything. For the same reasons that wharncliffe and sheepsfoot blades are pretty great unless you're skinning or jabbing something

This is the cleaver that I use but do not carry.

PaRGZeF.jpg

It's a "vintage" Lamson Mohawk #828, which is at least 60 years old, that I inherited from my father (who was a sous chef) which was dull when I got it but that now has an acutely sharp edge that I ground by hand. It is very slicey for a 2.75# (8.5 x 3.75 x 1/4") cleaver.

There are no bones that it cannot destroy. Needless to say, I'm very mindful of where I place my fingers when using it.

LOL! ;)

BTW, as big a fan of Spydies as I am, I have no plans to buy a Stovepipe. Nor did I buy the Bombshell. Not only because I don't (or didn't) like how they are (or were) designed but also because they are both just TOO SMALL for my taste in knives which is mainly in the 3.5-4" range for a folder.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people aren't understanding their practicality. Perfect for draw cuts, equal cutting power all the way to the tip instead of a belly that slips, strong and stout with little reason to worry about breaking or chipping your point. Think outside the box. A great blade shape for construction workers, tradesmen, etc.

Back