Mini Tolk impressions or reviews?

Hi all,

I am wondering about the upcoming Southard Mini Tolk shown at Blade. Did anyone handle it at the show? Can you provide me your impressions?

I have the original Tolk and like it. It is a big robust frame lock flipper. It is not for my regular use because of its size and heft. I normally keep it in my emergency backpack unless having fun playing with it. My understanding is that it is a midtech, of which parts are made outside of Southard’s shop, and assembled and finished by Brad. One thing I was not happy with Tolk was the thick edge. The primary grind was not so much deep.

Now, the mini Tolk seems to be entirely crafted in Brad’s shop using his own CNC. So, I guess it is no longer a Midtech and more of a custom knife (and it is more customizable). Likewise, the base price goes up from ~$500 of Tolk to $650. The blade stock is much thinner than Tolk from 0.14” to 0.115”, and the edge seems quite thin judging from pictures. Sweet!

It seems that the ordering page is open now. If anyone already grabbed one, let me know your impression.

Thanks!

I have the regular nice bronze Tolk but it's way too big for my needs. I had wished that the Mini Tolk would have a blade of 2.99" instead of 3.28".

A lot to like though per specs, pictures and video. For instance, the much thinner blade stock at 0.115" and 2.78 oz. weight. The titanium frame lock flipper has modern amenities like titanium hardware, machined titanium clip, steel lock bar insert, ceramic bearings and ceramic detent.

Also, you can order it with many options to really make it your own with pricing starting at $600.

Mini-Tolk.jpg

Last edited:
Would be nice to see some of the Mini Tolk features/options for the Tolk (prefer the larger version).

Does anyone have a picture of it on the lock side?
The other thing I did not like about the original Tolk was the lock side being like the back of a TV or the bottom of a car. Too much gismos visible, and somewhat too machine to me.
I hope that the lock side is also a show side in mini Tolk. At least the lock bar relief pocket seems to be cut from the inside like Umnumzaan. I like it.

Nick Shabazz has a Blade Show vid in which he talks about this knife and calls it his pick of the show. I believe he ordered one too.

Nick Shabazz has a Blade Show vid in which he talks about this knife and calls it his pick of the show. I believe he ordered one too.

Yes. That intrigued me in the first place. Unfortunately, there is not much detail or a video of the knife. And so far that is almost the only source talking about mini Tolk beside Brad's Instgram. There got to be someone going home with the lottery mini Tolks from Blade. Please give us your reviews!

I might be blind... but I tried searching and I can't find the order page.

It is still on the top if you google "Southard mini Tolk". But the page is not linked from the Southard web site. This made me to think that ordering was probably limited to those signed up at the show. It is sold out now anyway.

H hapasnyper
Did your order go through, and did you pay?

miso2 miso2 yup was able to go through the order and pay. The screen where all the options is no longer available. I heard he only took 20 or so orders to be able to finish them in the 3-4 week timeframe

Just out of curiosity, what kind of options did Brad offer for this run? Just went to the page, but now that they're sold out, I don't see any of the options anymore...

Just out of curiosity, what kind of options did Brad offer for this run? Just went to the page, but now that they're sold out, I don't see any of the options anymore...

I guess in hindsight I should've taken a screen snapshot!

He had various options for the Mini Tolk: blade steel, anodized titanium frame, inlays, clip, backspacer, etc.

The most expensive configuration was with timuscus scales and damascus blade, and was at $1,600!

I guess in hindsight I should've taken a screen snapshot!

He had various options for the Mini Tolk: blade steel, anodized titanium frame, inlays, clip, backspacer, etc.

Screen shots are always cool, but even just your description, as well as the response below yours indicate that Brad allowed a lot of options on these. Kinda feels more like those lucky 20 got on a fast list for a Southard custom more so than any midtech I've ever seen with all the options available. Freaking cool!

Congrats to all who were lucky enough to score one of these. I have no doubts that they will be some fantastic knives all the way around :thumbup: :cool:

Back