Minimalist utility knife.

Which utility knife do you prefer?

I looked at several before narrowing it down to a couple. The Screwpop seems popular, its small and cheap as well.
Some reviews claims, that the Screwpop is noisy and that it rattles. This wouldnt bother me even if true, as long as the blade is held securely. I mean, what does people expect from these small pocket tools.

After looking at the Screwpop, I happened to come across the Quark. Very nice little utility blade holder. Good quality and its both practical in use and holds the blade securely in all three positions.

The nice things about these tools; minimalist, blades can be had most everywhere. Excellent for those who travel. In regards to those keeping one of these on a keyring; its nice that you can just dump the blade (for example in the airport, if you forgot about having the tool on the keyring) and buy a new blade at your destination thus having a non threathening blade for mundane tasks on your travels.

When I first visited the Quark site, I was offered a discount. With the tool being of a nice quality and not expensive to begin with, the choice was easy.

There are a plethora of small(-ish) pocket tools on the market. Some makes more sense than others.
The Rexford RUT for example didnt appeal to me. Too big and silly expensive (Im not about to pay $130+ for a small utility blade holder) Why they stuck a cap lifter on the end seems to defeat the purpose of a minimalist pocket tool IMO.
On the bay, there was a very inexpensive clone of the RUT but that was of course out of the question.

The Quark is excellent and I use it almost daily.

n7MlUYw.jpg

NSamomU.jpg
mL1xYC1.jpg

Last edited:
Neat little knife. I'm not a utility knife kind of guy but I can see where folks would want to carry one. Some cities, states, countries, etc have some unusual laws. The average police officer or sheeple won't freak out when seeing a utility knife.

I like the Quark concept IF I were to actually carry a utility knife with replaceable blades. I don't. But I keep several in the garage, in tool boxes, and in my work vehicle. They get used but seldom for the occasional cutting task. They get used for harder use jobs like cutting carpet or if I had a stack of corrugated boxes to slice up or open. Been trying to recycle them and just store them flat until my next trip to the recycle place (to get rid of them and other things like metal).

How does that lock work?

From the Quark site

"As thin as 2 credit cards or one typical house key, the Quark takes minimalism to a new vanishing point. Easy to use and safe, just lift the locking safety lever and slide the blade out."

I like the Quark concept IF I were to actually carry a utility knife with replaceable blades. I don't. But I keep several in the garage, in tool boxes, and in my work vehicle. They get used but seldom for the occasional cutting task. They get used for harder use jobs like cutting carpet or if I had a stack of corrugated boxes to slice up or open. Been trying to recycle them and just store them flat until my next trip to the recycle place (to get rid of them and other things like metal).
Yes.
Full sized utility knives like yours are excellent for the tasks you mention.
The Quark and similar minimalist tools are not suited for heavy duty jobs. They are better suited for smaller mundane tasks.

iu

I've had this guy on my keys for a while and have got a tone of utility out of it. I believe it was only 10$ on amazon every bit as useful as the quark but cheaper.

Big fan of the screwpop. I use mine at work note than any other knife. Why pick the tape residue off my $250 folder when I can abuse the little screwpop blade until it gives up the ghost?
The bottle opener works well. I usually keep a Beer Scout in my pocket, but more often than not the screwpop is just as handy.
I like to keep it stoked with a serrated utility blade. Its more of a ripper than a cutter, but that's how I use it anyway.

Neat little knife. I'm not a utility knife kind of guy but I can see where folks would want to carry one. Some cities, states, countries, etc have some unusual laws. The average police officer or sheeple won't freak out when seeing a utility knife.
Thats a good argument for a utility knife. Also for using if one cant or wont use ones regular pocket knife. I use mine a lot at home for various everyday tasks.

I used that Gerber for a while only complaint for me would be the clip is thin and mine snapped after about 18 months

Spyderco Delica 4. Small knife but very sturdy and well made. Easy to handle and does not take up my pocket space.

iu

I've had this guy on my keys for a while and have got a tone of utility out of it. I believe it was only 10$ on amazon every bit as useful as the quark but cheaper.
Yes, the Screwpop was the one that opened my eyes to these nifty pocket tools. Useful and silly cheap. Does pretty much the same as the Quark with the latter having maybe a tad better workmanship but also a tad higher price. Also the Q is slightly shorter, from the looks of it. If one is on the market for one of these from a strictly utilitarian POV, the Screwpop is the way to go. If the Quark hadnt come along and if the Q site hadnt offered a discount, Id have bought the Screwpop.

Big fan of the screwpop. I use mine at work note than any other knife. Why pick the tape residue off my $250 folder when I can abuse the little screwpop blade until it gives up the ghost?
The bottle opener works well. I usually keep a Beer Scout in my pocket, but more often than not the screwpop is just as handy.
I like to keep it stoked with a serrated utility blade. Its more of a ripper than a cutter, but that's how I use it anyway.
I must admit, that prior to buying the Quark, it never entered my mind to not use my pocket knife for messy work. Now I often find myself reaching for the utility knife, when I might get tape or glue gunk on a blade. No need to clean every bit of tape residue of the small utility blade.
The Screwpop integrated bottle opener is nifty and a far better solution than the protruding opener on for example the silly Rexford Rut.
Not keen on the magnet on the Screwpop though. I dont need to stick a utility knife on my fridge or any other metal surface and I dont like (even small) magnets around my automatic watches.

I would be curious to hear from fans of these tools why they prefer them over a key chain sized multi-tool like the Gerber Dime or Leatherman Squirt or Micra?

Is the replaceable blade simply more important than picking up extra tools and capabilities?

Gerber EAB light and sturdy and cheap plus it folds up

I read about the EAB, as it looked good. Nitpick: Didnt really like, that it needs a screwdriver to change the blade.

I used that Gerber for a while only complaint for me would be the clip is thin and mine snapped after about 18 months
Thats surprising. Looks good in the pics but I never handled the EAB so couldnt tell one way or the other. Just goes to show, that just because a clip is wide and looks sturdy, it might not be anchored well (if that was where it snapped).

Folks have said they can travel with these with no blade in and fly. Handy if you turn up at the airport with it by accident.
Exactly.
I also touched upon this in the OP in passing. See my below post for more on the subject. Both Screwpop and Quark mention the traveling and/or TSA angle in their blurb, so its a (good) selling point for both companies.

Last edited:
I would be curious to hear from fans of these tools why they prefer them over a key chain sized multi-tool like the Gerber Dime or Leatherman Squirt or Micra?

Is the replaceable blade simply more important than picking up extra tools and capabilities?
I personally dont find them mutually exclusive (a small utilty knife and micro tool).
For example when travelling (which I do a lot), I carry the Quark (sans blade) and a Dime (see below) in my carry on. Depending on the length and/or nature of the trip and whether I carry more luggage than a carry on, I might drop a Skeletool or Charge and maybe a medium sized folding knife in the checked luggage (or not. No need to tempt a thief).
At one point or another, Ive owned all the micro tools you mentioned. Though primarily a Leatherman buyer in regards to medium or larger combination tools, Ive now settled on the Gerber Travel Dime, when going by plane.
The 'Travel' version of the Dime is TSA approved (no blade). I find it very useful when travelling.

wz3V3uX.jpg

Back