Minimalist utility knife.

Thank you for posting about the Quark! I almost took the plunge and bought a RUT last night. After looking at the Quark, it was a no brainier as i have no use for the other "Tools" on the RUT and like the more minimalist look of the Quark. Went with the Carbon one and will be buying the Gold Lenox blades. Thanks again!
:thumbsup:
No problem.
The RUT is a very different kind of animal. I personally prefer the minimalist style of the Quark and have no need for any extra features as on the RUT.
I like the compact size and doubt that a utility knife can be made much smaller than the Quark.

2HvzgAw.jpg

Dont worry. Blades are cheap and easily available.

Took the $17 flyer on a Quark, I'll be blaming or thanking you accordingly...;^)

Any idea whether the "Jewel" concave utility blades are the same size as the Stanley 5192?
IND99A is the Jewel concave blade without holes, IND99B with holes. Each variety either in 0.61mm Standard, 0.64mm XL PREMIUM GOLD, or 0.64mm XL PREMIUM SILVER, basically for a total of 6 "different" concave blades. And tons of different packaging options.

The Stanley 5192 has 2 holes 2 notches 0.64mm, so it should correspond to Jewel IND99B XL PREMIUM SILVER which has 3 holes oic. I would bet my *** that these two blades are the same size in every respect, and i wouldn't be surprised if Jewel Blade Ltd, Sheffield England, was the actual manufacturer of the Stanley 5192 which is also made in England.

Last edited:
Been carrying my Quark off/on since I got it..:thumbsup: Watch pocket carry.. Switched in a Dewalt carbide blade and added a lanyard.. Noww.. I aint used it yet!!!:(:D
John

I have a utility knife but it's more of a fixed blade. I do like how I can use almost the whole blade. Since I got it I don't use my other knives as hard. I carry it horizontally. Works pretty well I feel it's just as quick as using a folding knife to put away.
IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG

Why pick the tape residue off my $250 folder when I can abuse the little screwpop blade until it gives up the ghost?

I work in the medical industry and found those little packaged alcohol wipes the doctor uses before injections to be quite efficient and handy when removing tape residue and I can keep quite a few in a pocket, bag or a drawer at work. I also like using them because I often use my knives around food.

.......Also, one more vote for the Screwpop. I like the bottle opener, magnet to keep down blade rattle and it also retracts the blade automatically when the locking gate is lifted.

X-Plore Gear credit card doohickey knife (something like that - it came free with some tools I bought). Foldable.

Works pretty well. Stays okay sharp, sharpens easily. Pretty useful, though. And it's light too.

Just an update after getting my quark. The design is exceptional, exactly what i wanted in something like this. Also, i did get the coupon so for $17 it is great. My one gripe, and it might be user error or the cheapish blade they put in, but the edge completely rolled and will not cut. My guess is it is a cheap blade and my novice skill in opening it caused it to roll. Going to pick up some blades from the hardware store and see how they are.

Overall, very happy with it and for over $135 less than what i was going to spend on the RUT i am satisfied.

Just an update after getting my quark. The design is exceptional, exactly what i wanted in something like this. Also, i did get the coupon so for $17 it is great. My one gripe, and it might be user error or the cheapish blade they put in, but the edge completely rolled and will not cut. My guess is it is a cheap blade and my novice skill in opening it caused it to roll. Going to pick up some blades from the hardware store and see how they are.

Overall, very happy with it and for over $135 less than what i was going to spend on the RUT i am satisfied.

I switched the blade out for a Dewalt carbide blade right away.. :D
John

:thumbsup:

I havent experienced edge roling with the blade in the QUARK. As you say, maybe another blade of better quality is the way ahead though.
Yeah, the RUT is pretty much the exact opposite of the QUARK in every conceivable way.

Back