1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Minimalist utility knife.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BladeScout, Feb 1, 2019.

1. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    :thumbsup:
    No problem.
    The RUT is a very different kind of animal. I personally prefer the minimalist style of the Quark and have no need for any extra features as on the RUT.
    I like the compact size and doubt that a utility knife can be made much smaller than the Quark.

2. JohnWE

JohnWE Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2013
    That's 4...

TonySal likes this.
  3. JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013

Took the $17 flyer on a Quark, I'll be blaming or thanking you accordingly...;^)

GallenR and TonySal like this.
  4. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    I shall anticipate one or the other with bated breath:D;)

OrangeBlueOrangeBlue and TonySal like this.
  5. JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013
    You get extra points for the proper use of the word "bated"

TonySal likes this.
  6. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    I always thought that 'baited breath' sounded like an uncomfortable and slightly unsanitary condition.
    :D:D

Henry Beige likes this.
  7. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    IND99A is the Jewel concave blade without holes, IND99B with holes. Each variety either in 0.61mm Standard, 0.64mm XL PREMIUM GOLD, or 0.64mm XL PREMIUM SILVER, basically for a total of 6 "different" concave blades. And tons of different packaging options.

The Stanley 5192 has 2 holes 2 notches 0.64mm, so it should correspond to Jewel IND99B XL PREMIUM SILVER which has 3 holes oic. I would bet my *** that these two blades are the same size in every respect, and i wouldn't be surprised if Jewel Blade Ltd, Sheffield England, was the actual manufacturer of the Stanley 5192 which is also made in England.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    OrangeBlueOrangeBlue likes this.
  8. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Been carrying my Quark off/on since I got it..:thumbsup: Watch pocket carry.. Switched in a Dewalt carbide blade and added a lanyard.. Noww.. I aint used it yet!!!:(:D
    John

9. MMGRenovations

MMGRenovations

Sep 14, 2017
    I have a utility knife but it's more of a fixed blade. I do like how I can use almost the whole blade. Since I got it I don't use my other knives as hard. I carry it horizontally. Works pretty well I feel it's just as quick as using a folding knife to put away.
    IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG

WadeWilson and kreisler like this.
  10. JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013
    It's everything you said it was, well made, simple, and inexpensive. It will be finding a place on my keychain.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

11. CableGirl

CableGirl

Aug 19, 2018
    I work in the medical industry and found those little packaged alcohol wipes the doctor uses before injections to be quite efficient and handy when removing tape residue and I can keep quite a few in a pocket, bag or a drawer at work. I also like using them because I often use my knives around food.

.......Also, one more vote for the Screwpop. I like the bottle opener, magnet to keep down blade rattle and it also retracts the blade automatically when the locking gate is lifted.

12. wensynch

wensynch

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    X-Plore Gear credit card doohickey knife (something like that - it came free with some tools I bought). Foldable.

Works pretty well. Stays okay sharp, sharpens easily. Pretty useful, though. And it's light too.

13. BladeScout

May 16, 2010

14. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    Na....can only be a Christy Knife !!

15. pattyballs

pattyballs Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Just an update after getting my quark. The design is exceptional, exactly what i wanted in something like this. Also, i did get the coupon so for $17 it is great. My one gripe, and it might be user error or the cheapish blade they put in, but the edge completely rolled and will not cut. My guess is it is a cheap blade and my novice skill in opening it caused it to roll. Going to pick up some blades from the hardware store and see how they are.

Overall, very happy with it and for over $135 less than what i was going to spend on the RUT i am satisfied.

JohnWE likes this.
  16. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I switched the blade out for a Dewalt carbide blade right away.. :D
    John

17. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    Christy Knife.......:rolleyes:

kreisler likes this.
  18. BladeScout

May 16, 2010

I havent experienced edge roling with the blade in the QUARK. As you say, maybe another blade of better quality is the way ahead though.
    Yeah, the RUT is pretty much the exact opposite of the QUARK in every conceivable way.

19. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    Ill have to get some of those.

20. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    Does the Stanley #5192 fit?

Its edge cannot roll.

TonySal likes this.