MIRABILE FORGED IN FIRE OCT 24 2017

I did not mean to say the show was not good for knife making, it sure is. "A rising tide lifts all boats"

One maker in this thread said he lost orders because of the show, he may or may not have. Some makers have taken a hit to their reputations, I am sure they will be OK, we all have lots of ups and downs.

I'm not sure where jealousy comes into play when it has to do with a collector making a decision on who buy from based on what he saw on the show. I really hot maker can go from hot to cold in a very short time from whatever influences there may be, it happens all the time. You don't need to be on a show for that to happen but it's quite possible for it to happen if you experience a catastrophic failure on the show. The high end knife market is a funny thing, trends can change over night.

As for me, I don't sit at home and watch the show, don't have cable. I actually wasn't even really interested in it until I was asked to be on it. I would rather be making knives than watch them being made. I have really enjoyed the episodes I have seen though.

All the best.
Mark, you are spot on with every one of your posts!

The first time I saw the show I was sitting in Bill Burke's living room (after testing my performance knife for ABS journeyman) about three years ago. He had recorded a few shows. We had a pretty good discussion about the subject of well known makers going on the show. He shared the same sentiment that most of them do. There are lots of reasons for a well known maker to not go on the show, and very few reason for them to do it. Kudos to those that do.

I agree Mark

I know many very high end makers that have no interest in being on the show

It is time consuming and not profitable for them in the grand scheme of things

I respect their choice to not waste their time and or reputation

I also respect the well known makers that throw caution to the wind and except the Challenge

They really aren’t making money after taxes and remember they don’t get to keep the pieces they make from what I understand

Also I have a bit of different insight like you I know many that have been on the show and I speak to Jason Knight regularly

Jason was the first guy to win the show on the pilot that never aired

He did get to keep that sword that he won with and I sold it for north of 6 k after at the Blade show for Jason

It’s actually in one of my safes waiting for its owner to pick it up next month when he flies in from Africa :)

So with current contestants not being able to keep their work it as in the show truly benefits the unknown makers

Either way congrats on your win and let’s keep our fingers crossed for David

GO ALASKA !!!!!!!!

When you look at it that way. It is awesome that the shows bladesmiths are brave enough and willing to sacrifice their time and money to go on the show.

Much respect to those who step up to the plate. I hear nothing but praises from all the fans I come across, they love the show and are hitting your websites and placing orders.

JParanee JParanee we all will be rooting for Dave

Last edited:
I agree Mark

I know many very high end makers that have no interest in being on the show

It is time consuming and not profitable for them in the grand scheme of things

I respect their choice to not waste their time and or reputation

I also respect the well known makers that throw caution to the wind and except the Challenge

They really aren’t making money after taxes and remember they don’t get to keep the pieces they make from what I understand

Also I have a bit of different insight like you I know many that have been on the show and I speak to Jason Knight regularly

Jason was the first guy to win the show on the pilot that never aired

He did get to keep that sword that he won with and I sold it for north of 6 k after at the Blade show for Jason

It’s actually in one of my safes waiting for its owner to pick it up next month when he flies in from Africa :)

So with current contestants not being able to keep their work it as in the show truly benefits the unknown makers

Either way congrats on your win and let’s keep our fingers crossed for David

GO ALASKA !!!!!!!!

Thanks Bud, go Dave

My wife and I watch every show and enjoy it. I think she watches because of David and Jason.

Having never even been near a forge, the show has taught me a lot. Like drill your handle holes before you heat treat and wear gloves before you plunge the blade into the quench oil.

It's been a while but I think most contestants now know not to use 24 hour epoxy.

I've bought knives from winners and losers that I otherwise wouldn't have known about because I liked their style.

Congrats on the win Mark.....good on you. I have great respect for the well-known makers that compete and yet I understand why some would not be interested.

As an aside, awhile ago, I was contacted by the Forged in Fire folks to see if I was interested. Personally, I like sleeping with my squaw every night so I wasn't interested. My response to the Forged in Fire folks was that I'm wanted in six states and I don't want John Walsh finding me. No acknowledgement back from them - I wonder why?! :D

They are not picky that is for sure, they asked me to be on the show a couple month ago:D

Go David! My lovely will be DVR'ng it so I can watch it in the morning!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

That's interesting, did you do the show? If not, how come?

I got this email.

"
Hi Adam,

My name is Jasmine Davis and I'm a Casting Producer with Leftfield Entertainment, in association with Outpost Entertainment. We're an award-winning television production company, responsible for hits like Alone, Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and Counting Cars on The History Channel, as well as programming for networks like FOX, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic.

We’re currently casting competitors for the hit show Forged in Fire on the History Channel, and after taking a look at your website, I thought you might be interested in hearing more!..."

Having Bob Loveless, Phill Hartsfield, Rick Browne and Red Watson so nearby influenced me to stock removal in my knife making. Never had the desire to swing the hammer.

Back