Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Here's my little collection so far. Some I have posted before but I thought it was cool to see them all together.
8951eabfd4e7afbaa54ac525ca71dfb6.jpg
I learn something new each time. Things I like and don't like about each one.

Those are all very nice! I especially like the one in the middle with the shield overlapping the two tone handle. It reminds me of some old Imperial knives with two tone scales. :thumbup:

p.s. I think you could make a craftsman/knifemaker membership pay for itself very quickly around here.

1e71301b82c8aac10307c98815ab16a7.jpg

Some years ago I was a member here.
I posted one too many modern OHO and was banned. I may have posted the GEC back then. Spey blades do nothing for me. The little Case 6229 1/2 had the main blade tipped pretty bad and the pen blade was tipped a bit. Gave them both a point so as to clean fingernails and whatnot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This poor old neglected knife sat in the case in the antique shop for months. I passed it by many times, thinking it was just too far gone. Last Saturday, I thought "What the heck, I'll see if I can do anything with it."

I removed the twine that had been wrapped around it to hold the broken bone in place. Soaked and cleaned the rust off it until I could manage to open the blades. A lot of wear on the main blade, but the springs are in good shape. I looked through my box of parts knives and found a donor with some bone that matches pretty well.

I sharpened the chips out of the blades and touched up the swedge while I was at it.

A W Wadsworth & Son Germany

Heck of a patch job! I dig it AND it now has new life rather than sitting forever unwanted at the antique store!

Matt

R8shell, I have never attempted a patch job. Yours looks great! Maybe I should send you some knives to work on. :)

Heck of a patch job! I dig it AND it now has new life rather than sitting forever unwanted at the antique store!

Matt

r8shell, good on you for breathing new life into that old neglected piece. You did a nice job. :cool:

R8shell, I have never attempted a patch job. Yours looks great! Maybe I should send you some knives to work on. :)

Thanks, guys!
Glenn, I've always been handy with arts/crafts, but not so much mechanically inclined. As long as I don't have to disassemble/reassemble the knife, I can fix it up. :D

r8shell, I am most impressed with your grafting skills, great job! :thumbup:

Today I disassembled a Victorinox explorer intending to remove two of the four layers, mostly for the learning experience. As a side benefit I would have a lighter, more pocket-able SAK that still contained a magnifying glass. I only thought of recording the project after it was underway. This shows some of the process.

This is a layer I choose to keep at the last minute because I wanted the scissors.

This layer has to go

Almost back together

Back together minus parts on left

Beauty shot

Final product is a one of a kind 3 layer SAK that's clean inside and out with no sharp corners and enough knowledge to be confident in future mods.

Nicely done, redsparrow, although I would have tried switching the hook for the awl. :p

Thanks r8shell. An awl instead of a hook is a good idea but the difference in their widths would not allow for a straight up exchange. The awl would have to be shimmed to fit, probably more work than would be practical this time around. :)

BTW I know where to send any cracked bone handles for repairs now. :eek: ;) -James

An idea just occurred to me, although it's probably been brought up before, has anyone considered modding a TL-29 to have a SAK saw blade instead of the screwdriver blade?

Are fixed blades allowed?
I bought this lot of old moras off the great auction site for maybe $6. The bottom three are all vintage frost cutlery, but the top is an old KJ Mora scout.
0ea79bf805dc5e11653788c1784f275f.jpg

The frosts, being laminated steel, were easy to clean up, however the mora had significant rust damage to the bottom inch of the blade, with deep pitting, pretty nasty chipping, and something that resembled tar caked on the blade. The guard also made it too small to fit my medium sized hands, so I cast it aside to focus on the others. Yesterday I saw it again and decided, what the heck, I'll modify it into something resembling a puukko, since I have no other use for it. Here's how it turned out!
768dd0457782ee9e6f8a9057d6914f47.jpg

cbc2c9e17b8b1f5f5b9e2d53601add6f.jpg

I did a hot vinegar forced patina on the flat and polished off the grind because I felt that the plain steel blade looked boring, and I like the contrast between the dark flat and polished edge.
I also want to darken the handle sometime in the future when i figure out how. I tried staining the handle of one of the other knives, which has a handle of pretty much identical wood and condition, but the wood didn't take the stain at all and it just looked dirty after the effort. I'm thinking about trying to burn the wood (which I assume is Beech) a little.
Here's a shot of the stamp on the blade, does anyone have any info as to the era (date) of this knife?
231d6ba0a17a52f2e6892dcc5e634af8.jpg

1980-1990 ish, to make the Wood take stain try cleaning it with acetone or white spirit, to take both laquer and grease out.

Nice job. Chris

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Back