Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Thanks Bob! I wasn't sure about putting a groove in the bolster. I think it's finished but now I gotta find something else to mod!! :eek: ;)

I won this last week (thanks again greentrout!) and yesterday finished tuning it up. I adding sharpening notches to all the blades, and modified the Spey into a spear point. I also filed the kick so the sheepsfoot sits a little lower and finished it off with some nice convex edges. It is in my pocket right now:)

Not pretty like y'all's GECs and stuff, but I removed a layer from this old Bullet jack-knife.

IMG_20170306_162533347_zpsrohkygkf.jpg

Couple more of my TL29 mods.
Working on improving my shield inlay methods.

a0fdd85184b850190357571d49825cfa.jpg

Just finished this lambsfoot mod today. I think it came out really clean looking.
4e127cb5c74a64eb8dda49aaceb38d6e.jpg
72af047a478c36c922f16058117acc04.jpg
6eaf119c3ce79cf2c3a688a2974d92a5.jpg
83fa910ba48fa09156c461c51f3b519f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your TL-29 mods, among the many others as well, are nothing less than inspiring to me. I now have 3 blown apart and in various steps of the process. Im hoping to have them done here soon and Ive been toying around the idea of trying out the shield inlay on one of them.

Matt

I gave my #13 Whittler a mini-makeover. I started by turning the pile-side pen blade into a coping blade:

0434c9e59ce65aacd0f3b43544676f60.jpg

Next I rounded the sheepsfoot main to give it a lower profile:

306674f9036d364f973b5386005b561a.jpg

Finally I filed the kick a bit to further lower its closed profile:

856fa21f89cbe8cdb62f05007e03744c.jpg

I may do some tiny refinements, but I'm quite satisfied with the result.

1965efd3b2ffdc2d9007d12af7133807.jpg

Last edited:
Help me find a knife stiddy or its best alternative. What do you use to pin scales on knives you haven't fully disassembled?

Hello, fellow slip joint tinkerers.
I've been trying to locate a knife stiddy to no avail and thought what better place to ask than right here.
If anyone has connections to a stiddy/curlers anvil please do let me know.

I really need it most for pinning scales on knives that aren't disassembled so if you've come up with alternatives for this procedure please do share that also.

Couple more of my TL29 mods.
Working on improving my shield inlay methods.

a0fdd85184b850190357571d49825cfa.jpg

Just finished this lambsfoot mod today. I think it came out really clean looking.
4e127cb5c74a64eb8dda49aaceb38d6e.jpg
72af047a478c36c922f16058117acc04.jpg
6eaf119c3ce79cf2c3a688a2974d92a5.jpg
83fa910ba48fa09156c461c51f3b519f.jpg

My have you been busy! Those look great! I too would like to try my hand at shield inlays but don't know where to start. Are those shields made from scratch? Template? Again, great work!

My have you been busy! Those look great! I too would like to try my hand at shield inlays but don't know where to start. Are those shields made from scratch? Template? Again, great work!

Thanks derrman79! I think I got lucky on my first shield and it gave me false confidence to do it the same way again. Not as happy with the second attempt but it is still better than a lot of factory shields I've seen. My method I probably the most impractical way of going about it. I scribe an outline of the shield into the handle then rout most of it out with a dremel then I use a set of small wood carving knives to clean up the rest.

Thanks derrman79! I think I got lucky on my first shield and it gave me false confidence to do it the same way again. Not as happy with the second attempt but it is still better than a lot of factory shields I've seen. My method I probably the most impractical way of going about it. I scribe an outline of the shield into the handle then rout most of it out with a dremel then I use a set of small wood carving knives to clean up the rest.

Thanks derrman79! I think I got lucky on my first shield and it gave me false confidence to do it the same way again. Not as happy with the second attempt but it is still better than a lot of factory shields I've seen. My method is probably the most impractical way of going about it. I scribe an outline of the shield into the handle then rout most of it out with a dremel then I use a set of small wood carving knives to clean up the rest.

Last edited:
I've read in an old knife repair book that shows almost the same way. Only difference was to drill and insert pins prior scribing. Did you make the shield? I'd like to find a readily available source for shields and other small parts.

I've read in an old knife repair book that shows almost the same way. Only difference was to drill and insert pins prior scribing. Did you make the shield? I'd like to find a readily available source for shields and other small parts.

I got the shields from USAknifemaker.com they are fairly inexpensive there and they also sell the templates. I've also seen them on eBay.

Back