Monday Evening with Rajkumar Kothimoda Katana and Lok Cherokee Rose

I'm confused, but that's normal, so says the wife.

The Lok Cherokee Rose is still available, that's all that matters.

I was hoping the price for the Katana would be close to $7-800, too rich for my blood

Believe me, there is enough workmanship and silver in these blades and scabbard that the price Auntie is selling this one for is still a helluva discount.
Retail on these actually should be closer to $1500-$1800.

no questions about the craftsmanship of this Katana or the value or the Auntie's pricing. I was thinking "loud" that if it was close to $800, i will send Auntie an ems.

Believe me, there is enough workmanship and silver in these blades and scabbard that the price Auntie is selling this one for is still a helluva discount.
Retail on these actually should be closer to $1500-$1800.

I call a lot of the swords that come through heirlooms, and they are. But this...this is a masterpiece. It's a work of art to be handed down from father to son to daughter to son to son and so on. Silently hung over a fireplace or on proud display on a thoughtful den's wall. Quietly violent. Stoically resilient. Every watchful, ever ready. A beautiful handshake between art and war and soul.

Simply breathtaking.

And this Cherokee is the nicest to show up lately. To my taste it got the best line handle-blade and angle. Its a waow one. Posting it with a Kathimoda shift the attention a little. But no. I'm not going to fall for a third one (speaking to myself)

8-18-14006_zpsf6cabd27.jpg

I'm confused, but that's normal, so says the wife.

The Lok Cherokee Rose is still available, that's all that matters.

This katana seems to have ascended to divinity. Such craftsmanship. Very fair price as well if ya got the money. I really need to put away more into my savings...

Hey Petros! I bet if you offered Aunti a few payments she might let ya have it since this is a super rare occasion. I cant speak for HI finance department but might be a way to put that bad boy in your hands? They are dang sure worth every penny and then some! To be honest with ya I dont know how much longer I can go without using mine. It begs to be used but sure is pretty. I've saved up cardboard tubes etc. and im just waiting for that day. It will be documented:D
no questions about the craftsmanship of this Katana or the value or the Auntie's pricing. I was thinking "loud" that if it was close to $800, i will send Auntie an ems.
Beautiful sno! That rig there looks like it ought to have a rocket pack strapped to it or something? You do have two right? Thats one bad arse pair of skates there!

While I can certainly admire the workmanship that went into the katana and sheath, to me it just seems somehow "wrong" for the kamis to be making a copy of such a traditional japanese blade - I'm sure some folks might really want one, but it's just not my thing. And I also don't really like the design of the Cherokee Rose - to me, it looks like a prop from a pirate movie. I do love the more traditional designs, but I'll pass on these.

The handle on this Kothimoda Katana is much nicer than on the HI site, but I think I like the sheath on the HI site better at $895. Is it just me, or is this one worth $300 more? Please don't take this as a criticism.

While I can certainly admire the workmanship that went into the katana and sheath, to me it just seems somehow "wrong" for the kamis to be making a copy of such a traditional japanese blade - I'm sure some folks might really want one, but it's just not my thing. And I also don't really like the design of the Cherokee Rose - to me, it looks like a prop from a pirate movie. I do love the more traditional designs, but I'll pass on these.

The Cherokee Rose blade is an old fashion style but I can't think of what they call that. Personal preference I think.

I call a lot of the swords that come through heirlooms, and they are. But this...this is a masterpiece. It's a work of art to be handed down from father to son to daughter to son to son and so on. Silently hung over a fireplace or on proud display on a thoughtful den's wall. Quietly violent. Stoically resilient. Every watchful, ever ready. A beautiful handshake between art and war and soul.

Simply breathtaking.

Ornate like a museum piece, but strong as any user (or stronger).
Chiruwa full tang and quarter-inch spine, it's like the CAK of katanas (with precious stones and silver).

Lots of man-hours went into its making, for sure.

From it's name, I assumed that the Cherokee Rose was another one that was designed by Yvsa?

I believe you are correct mopar! and saw; most of the stuff on HI website is a few years old( I think)

From it's name, I assumed that the Cherokee Rose was another one that was designed by Yvsa?

Yessir. He carved a wooden prototype to send to the kamis, and until he named it the Cherokee Rose it was unofficially referred to as Yvsa's Scagel Bowie Model.

"And as to the Scagel Bowie Model I have worked on it a bit, got the blade thickness about right with a nice distal taper and Moran edge shape on it to the edge with no transitions in the smooth curve.
I have to sand the clip down to the Moran edge which shouldn't take long when I can get back to it.
The guard has been cut from a piece of Sycamore which has a multi direction grain that's not easily broken from any particular direction like straight grained woods are.
One of my fears is that the easily broken along grain lines found on most woods would break off leaving the guard incomplete as a
model.
I believe the Sycamore has corrected that possible problem.
The kamis are very visual in that what they see is what you get.
The point broke off the 3 cornered awl model I made for the YCS and ever since Uncle Bill has been getting the awls with a blunt point.
I would hate to see the Scagel Bowie come in with a blunt point or a flat grind.
I'm hoping I will have it done soon as I'm as anxious for it as everyone else.
Somehow I think it will be a better chopper than the AK Bowie, just not as hell bent for leather strong although it won't be a wimp either."

-- Yvsa, 11-08-2001
quoted from http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/176226-That-scraping-noise-on-the-floor

And here's the thread where Yvsa decided on the name "Cherokee Rose":
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/182968-Yvsa-s-Scagel-HSS-XYZ

Back