1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

More affordable alternative to smaller Kifarus and Mystery Ranches

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Kirk_Ferentz, Oct 7, 2010.

1. fishunter219

fishunter219

Sep 19, 2008
    Kelty makes some great packs, I've had one for years. Tough and comfortable on my back.

2. Kirk_Ferentz

Kirk_Ferentz

Feb 16, 2010

As an update, I went with the Eberlestock X2 (smaller than the half track). I have now put it through the paces to some degree. I have gone on two outings with it--the first was an afternoon hike where I hauled two full 2-liter bladders of water in the side compartments that are specifically designed for that purpose. I learned that (1) the pack carries the water weight very, very well (sounds like carrying the water in the side packs may be a lot more user friendly than in the middle), and (2) that is a ton of water to carry, and in the future I don't need to carry that much.

The second outing was three days of whitetail hunting in the snow, at very cold temps, over a lot of layers. I didn't need to carry any water, and I just took the essentials--first aid kit, emercency bivvy, small survival kit, some ammo, etc. It was pretty tough country, and hiking through the snow is no walk in the park. But even though there was a good amount of weight in that pack, it didn't slow me down much. Unlike most of the packs of its size, it is built as a great weight-bearing system.

I have found that the 5.11 tactical 6.10 vertical pounch almost seems custom made to hook onto the PALS webbing on the side panels, and I need to order another one of these as a way to increase the carrying capacity if I need to. I use one for my first aid kit. Eberlestock has some side pouches that they sell, but the 5.11's are a lot cheaper.

I would echo everything that razor says about the quality of the pack and the materials and workmanship that went into it. It is obviously very tough, and the attention to detail and creativity seems to surpass its price. Attention seems to have been put into even the smallest details.

The flap design is made to allow you to come up with creative ways to comfortably carry awkward, cumbersome gear. There are dozens of different configurations that can be used.

In the end, it seems to be a great amalgam of some great features of a lot of different types of packs--the materials and toughness and PALS webbing from military packs (like, say, an ATS RAID), the hydration and load bearing construction of a hiking pack, and the awkward gear carrying capabilities of a hunting pack (like, say, a badlands). That is why it was a clear choice for me and it turned out to be exactly what I had hoped for.

3. LMT66

LMT66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2008
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, Tad restocked their LiteSpeed and EDV4.

4. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Thanks for your service! I also enjoyed your review and took the plunge and got an Eberlestock Terminator in ARPAT. I'm looking forward to trying it out on my next outdoor excursion.

5. Anjin

Anjin

Mar 30, 2007
    You can find examples on the Eberlestock site. Look around, i agree.

Personally, I am very sold on this brand. Look at the rave reviews in this thread and at its site. I just bought two for Christmas, a Just One for me and an X Project ($122.50 on eBay) for my 12 year old son. Both camo, since more useful for our intended uses.

Norm

6. Moving Target

Moving Target

Feb 8, 2000
    For your price range, Maxpedition or Camelbak are going to be your best bets.

You can easily find something to suit your needs from either of these, and the quality of both is outstanding. Very comparable to Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Eagle, and Eberlestock, in my opinion (I own, or have used, all of them).

Kelty is another good option, but their selection (of military style rucks, as opposed to recreational packs) is more limited.

7. FrunchroomNinja

FrunchroomNinja

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm sold on the Eberlestock X2. Looking forward to putting some miles on with this pack.