Most Over-Rated and Under-Rated Brands of Production Knives

Over-rated: Big clunky frame lock expensive folders. There is literally no practical use for these and they are dumb. get a fixed blade.

Under-rated: Byrd.

Under-appreciated: The practical Emerson knives. I would be willing to bet 90% of the folks who bash them have never actually owned one and/or actually used one. They aren't supposed to be pretty or fancy and anyone who hates on the the chisel bevel is an incapable idiot.
I often wonder about the overbuilt folders. They are beautiful and obviously well engineered and even over-engineered but whats the utility logic? Or as a certain reviewer on youtube would put it "philosophy of use"? I have "hard-used" my Scamp a lot and it has credited itself. But how much harder would I use a CRK or Hinderer that would not still justify a fixed blade? Or is that what I tell myself because I cannot yet afford them?

I have never used Emersons and I have to say I am not particularly a fan of the aesthetics but that is, of course besides the point. But I have to ask about the chisel grind; is it better or worse? It terms of utility alone. I assume that since the apex angle would be effectively half what it would be in a similar V grind it might cut better. Also is there such a thing as a convex chisel grind?

Also if this is not the place for these questions I apologize and will ask again in the maintenance forum.

I often wonder about the overbuilt folders. They are beautiful and obviously well engineered and even over-engineered but whats the utility logic? Or as a certain reviewer on youtube would put it "philosophy of use"? I have "hard-used" my Scamp a lot and it has credited itself. But how much harder would I use a CRK or Hinderer that would not still justify a fixed blade? Or is that what I tell myself because I cannot yet afford them?

I have never used Emersons and I have to say I am not particularly a fan of the aesthetics but that is, of course besides the point. But I have to ask about the chisel grind; is it better or worse? It terms of utility alone. I assume that since the apex angle would be effectively half what it would be in a similar V grind it might cut better. Also is there such a thing as a convex chisel grind?

Don't forget, it's perfectly acceptable to buy something for no other reason than "it's cool".

If you're focusing on pure utility, then everything is a trade off.
If you want to slice, buy a utility razor. If you want to chop, get something that's 1/4" thick.
For daily use, choose something between the two.
There's only what works for you. Don't worry about anyone else.

Also, if the edge thickness is the same, the apex angle of a chisel and v-grind will be very close, not half.

Don't forget, it's perfectly acceptable to buy something for no other reason than "it's cool".

If you're focusing on pure utility, then everything is a trade off.
If you want to slice, buy a utility razor. If you want to chop, get something that's 1/4" thick.
For daily use, choose something between the two.
There's only what works for you. Don't worry about anyone else.

Also, if the edge thickness is the same, the apex angle of a chisel and v-grind will be very close, not half.

Can't argue with that. A moped will do fine as transport and commuter scooter will serve better. But I want a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy :D (replace with product of choice)

About the chisel bevel; understood about the thickness but what would be the advantages or disadvantages of it against other grinds? I have more questions but I think I should move them off this part of the forums.

All my Tac folders are gone except my SnG. I like the fact that these Strider folders are an original, ground-breaking design.

Can't argue with that. A moped will do fine as transport and commuter scooter will serve better. But I want a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy :D (replace with product of choice)

About the chisel bevel; understood about the thickness but what would be the advantages or disadvantages of it against other grinds? I have more questions but I think I should move them off this part of the forums.

There are tons of threads about the pros/cons of chisel grinds.
Probably the best thing going for them is that Emerson uses them. :p

but seriously, the info is out there. Good luck.

Indianbladenoob

Indeed there is something to be said for beautiful, masterfully build expensive folders. They are nice to own and there is nothing wrong with collecting or using them. Buying them because they are "cool" is, by default, over-rated but, then again, there is nothing wrong with having cool knives (source: this entire website).

A lot of people scoff and gripe at Emerson's choice of materials, aesthetics and chisel bevel. Emerson knives are made to be used. They are function over form. Ernest Emerson openly wants you to take apart his product with readily available tools, dump loktite in the screws, easily sharpen the (intentionally softer) chisel-ground 154cm and put the whole thing back together again countless times to function as a repeatedly hard use tool. If you, or the knife screws up, Emerson's customer service/warranty is one of the best in the business -- confirmed. I lost a washer while cleaning my knife, told Emerson I dumped it down the sink and they sent me two new ones for *free* no questions asked. Not many knife manufacturers will back their products like Emerson does. Try taking apart your Benchmade or Stiders... warranty is voided.

The chisel bevel is both functional as a cutting edge, and incredibly easy to sharpen. It is literally the easiest bevel to sharpen. Function over form.

As for the convex chisel bevel, yes I suppose it it possible and maybe someone does it, but sharpening it would be extremely impractical.

Just got a Kershaw Leek. My new EDC. Light, fast, sharp and for the $29 (shipped) I would rate it a really nice knife :thumbup: Should have come with band aids :eek:

Mur- Please come over to the Busse forum and ask about the LIVE knife demo that Jerry did at a knife show.
Rolf

Had a lot of fun on this thread. All good people with their own opinions, favorites, not so favorites but to sum it up we're all knife nuts :thumbup: So I guess I'll bow out now :)

Not sure if this has been said yet but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway.

Overrated: Gerber, Smith & Wesson et al.
Underrated: Spyderco et al.

Being on a board like this makes it easy to forget that brands that are well known to us aren't as well known by the general public.

Way over rated - Becker
Way under rated- Ontario

Really?? Cause so many people know a good thing when they see it?? That makes Becker over rated? Or is it because you can get a sweet knife for like a dollar? Here's your sign.:D

Way Over rated: busse, ontario

Way Under rated: Ginsu

What I believe to be the most over rated,

Microtech, they have had there issue's over the years, horrible customer service and bad quality control has been spotty. Trying to build firearms. I have owned at least 150 or so of them and I had a few that were less than stellar.

What I believe to be the most under rated,

Buck, a lot of people over the years refer to a large folding knife as a "buck knife". I think they are a great knife company overall, customer service is great.

ETA: I would also say Treeman knives are under rated, they make some very serious knives, all though some maybe pricey they seem to hold up.

Last edited:
Really?? Cause so many people know a good thing when they see it?? That makes Becker over rated? Or is it because you can get a sweet knife for like a dollar? Here's your sign.:D

Way Over rated: busse, ontario

Way Under rated: Ginsu
Butt hurt much?

Butt hurt much?

Indeed, there is now MUCH butthurt flowing through this thread.

ButtHurt.jpg

Back