Mud Turtle Passaround

Well it’s finally time for the passaround to start! I have the sheath made and the mud turtle is ready to get used. I’m gonna keep the rules fairly simple since this group of people is pretty good. And I’ll leave it open for entry until next Friday giving people a week to decide if they want in or not.

Rules:

1. You will have the knife for two weeks at a time. This should give you time to plan a quick trip or whatever your thinking vs just a week where things can get tight.

2. For use of the mud turtle please use it how you would if it was yours and what it’s designed for. It’s a large knife and it can defiantly take a beating but please no abuse, this isn’t that kind of passaround. With that being said use the hell out of it! Take it camping, baton with it, cut some small trees down with it, cook with it, whatever YOU would use it for if it was yours please do.

3. You must post pictures and your thoughts/review of the knife after it’s sent off or during your time with the knife.

4. When you ship it to the next person it must be insured!

bikerector bikerector will probably be the first person to get the knife since he is wanting to throw another blade in on the passaround. For that he can post his rules for use of the knife and I will add it to the origional post. Other than that the order will go by who comments first.

7C1C496C-ED85-4EA0-9BD3-DFF563E1B2F1.jpeg
D71457D7-D7C1-4643-A94D-566994A2BD35.jpeg

bikerectors rules and knife

I will be including a Deluxe Hurley Creek Lite. It is slightly different than standard spec, S30V steel and 4" handle vs the 3 3/4" standard. I believe the smaller knives are John's bread and butter, I could be wrong, so I think it makes sense to get one involved. It's a great design for a lot of uses.

Rules: It's a small knife and I expect it to be treated as such. No batoning, prying, twisting screws, or other shenanigans. Other than that, use it like a knife. It's stainless so it shouldn't rust so no worries there. It is a hard stainless so it could chip if you cut on glass, ceramic, or similar surfaces so please be reasonable what you cut against. Wood should be fine, no tip tests please.

It's a Bird & Trout, EDC, Carver, Companion, etc. type of knife.

The sheath is kydex with a spyderco g-clip setup in a crossdraw for a right-hander. Adjust as you like but keep mind the sheath is asymmetric so my be trickier switching to a cross-draw left hand. Vertical carry wouldn't be a problem. Just keep in mind there are spacers in there, along with the bolts.

You must post a review of your experience, that's the part of the purpose of a pass around along with letting people get experience with the knives.

I think that covers it but if I missed something, please use common sense. If in doubt, feel free to ask.

1. bikerector
2. outdoorsfan

Last edited:
I will be including a Deluxe Hurley Creek Lite. It is slightly different than standard spec, S30V steel and 4" handle vs the 3 3/4" standard. I believe the smaller knives are John's bread and butter, I could be wrong, so I think it makes sense to get one involved. It's a great design for a lot of uses.

Rules: It's a small knife and I expect it to be treated as such. No batoning, prying, twisting screws, or other shenanigans. Other than that, use it like a knife. It's stainless so it shouldn't rust so no worries there. It is a hard stainless so it could chip if you cut on glass, ceramic, or similar surfaces so please be reasonable what you cut against. Wood should be fine, no tip tests please.

It's a Bird & Trout, EDC, Carver, Companion, etc. type of knife.

The sheath is kydex with a spyderco g-clip setup in a crossdraw for a right-hander. Adjust as you like but keep mind the sheath is asymmetric so my be trickier switching to a cross-draw left hand. Vertical carry wouldn't be a problem. Just keep in mind there are spacers in there, along with the bolts.

You must post a review of your experience, that's the part of the purpose of a pass around along with letting people get experience with the knives.

I think that covers it but if I missed something, please use common sense. If in doubt, feel free to ask.

dkdgn5El.jpg

Y1VUWo9l.jpg

Edit: I found an extra clip sheath that I will include as well. I love these things for pocket carry when I don't have belt, like for PJ's, shorts, and sweats when lounging around the house or working around the yard. And FYI, TY makes a cool clip sheath, this is an inexpensive off-the-shelf thing but it still holds a knife and I love the sage color.
raOjgbfl.jpg

Last edited:
I might want in. Depending on my new job. I feel like it needs arctic conditions testing.

Well if this is it the passaround will still happen! I’ll send it your way bikerector bikerector later this week when I go to drop some customers stuff off for shipping.

While not participating, I am looking forward to hearing the results of the pass around.

Dropped the knife off in the post office yesterday for bikerector to see what he thinks.
Way to go, can't wait for some feedback. I think Bikerector will have some fun. I think the Mud Turtle it's the HCL will make a great combination, I am looking forward how uses them as a team. Hey, throw in another tool and we have a Nessmuk or Bikerctor trio!! :p

Last edited:
Way to go, can't wait for some feedback. I think Bikerector will have some fun. I think the Mud Turtle it's the HCL will make a great combination, I am looking forward how uses them as a team. Hey, throw in another tool and we have a Nessmuk or Bikerctor trio!! :p

Just need the JK axe/hawk thingy right? I have a handful of axes I could match with the group... shipping would get ugly.

Just need the JK axe/hawk thingy right? I have a handful of axes I could match with the group... shipping would get ugly.

Only your Trio, let everyone decide what tools they would need when the Mud Turtle arrives by itself. Hope you don't ship your axes. If you did, then your Trio would become someone else's Trio. Sort of like when you borrow a tool from a neighbor. :D

Only your Trio, let everyone decide what tools they would need when the Mud Turtle arrives by itself. Hope you don't ship your axes. If you did, then your Trio would become someone else's Trio. Sort of like when you borrow a tool from a neighbor. :D

Hmmm... which one to choose
IR1z1MRl.jpg

Oh, and the mud turtle showed up :D. It's even nicer than I was expecting. Someone put a very nice edge on it as well. Sheath isn't pictured but it is a very nice touch as well. Can't wait to start a few fires and make some chicken with this guy this week. Weather permitting, I'll get out to harvest some wood this weekend to start building my winter stockpile for the fire place.
cQsutWhl.jpg

Glad you got it in. For the edge I’m not sure of the angle but whoever had it before me was pretty consistent free hand so I just copied what was there. Can’t wait to see the photos and hear what you think!

Back