Mud Turtle Passaround

Is there still time to get in on this? Seems a shame if there’s only one person that gets a chance to play.

Yes! Just let ty_higg ty_higg know so he can add you to the list. We just started so it will be at least a week, most likely 2 unless I get a lot of time this weekend, before I ship it out to the next person.

My hurley creek will be going along with it so people can see @JK Knives smaller stuff too. It's an amazing little B&T/EDC model.

cbach8tw cbach8tw 5" blade, 4.75" handle.
5SQn6aJl.jpg

Teaser Pics. I'll add more to this post as I get them and then I post them again in a full-brief review.

The short review: It's Good! Really good.
9k04mXYl.jpg

v0CmUPjl.jpg

pdjyuSNl.jpg

Did you throw the chicken into some stew? Maybe cut up some vegetables too.

Did you throw the chicken into some stew? Maybe cut up some vegetables too.

I did cut up some raw chicken last night. Performed better than I expected based on how it did with the rotisserie the night before. I need to go attack a few braches with it still but it's been raining for about 5 days straight not.

Pretty sure I'm going to order one with a slight change to the handle, it's just barely big enough so a little more height would be nice for me. I like the thickness of the handle, or I would just add a little there with a request for liners or something. More on that when I get the review later, probably next weekend if I can steal the time.

More teaser pics for now.
Next to a Kephart
r6ElQjzl.jpg

Ty's sheath
RLZ7tzTl.jpg

Cleaned for kitchen duty
EnrD2r1l.jpg

No surprise, it cuts. A surprise, it cuts really well, even compared to my dedicated kitchen cutlery. Need to do some harder veggies, have some sweet potatoes I'll need to get at this week.
PkNVAanl.jpg

Rv57cBxl.jpg

Handle has lightened up after cleaning the knife some. I suspect it had some oil on it based on the texture differences and how common it is to oil micarta or to get a lot of oil on micarta when oiling the blade.
JU6AeYdl.jpg

I did cut up some raw chicken last night. Performed better than I expected based on how it did with the rotisserie the night before. I need to go attack a few braches with it still but it's been raining for about 5 days straight not.

Pretty sure I'm going to order one with a slight change to the handle, it's just barely big enough so a little more height would be nice for me. I like the thickness of the handle, or I would just add a little there with a request for liners or something. More on that when I get the review later, probably next weekend if I can steal the time.

More teaser pics for now.
Next to a Kephart
r6ElQjzl.jpg

Ty's sheath
RLZ7tzTl.jpg

Cleaned for kitchen duty
EnrD2r1l.jpg

No surprise, it cuts. A surprise, it cuts really well, even compared to my dedicated kitchen cutlery. Need to do some harder veggies, have some sweet potatoes I'll need to get at this week.
PkNVAanl.jpg

Rv57cBxl.jpg

Handle has lightened up after cleaning the knife some. I suspect it had some oil on it based on the texture differences and how common it is to oil micarta or to get a lot of oil on micarta when oiling the blade.
JU6AeYdl.jpg

Glad to see you were able to get the handle cleaned and free of the oils. I tried before sending it but couldn’t get it all out.

I'm all set with the Mud Turtle. Please email me your shipping address, c (dot) rector at live.com

ty_higg ty_higg just tagging you so you're aware as well.

I have 40-ish pics to go through. Here's a few I took out in the woods today. I'll work on the brief review with pros cons and a very light comparison of some knives I have that I think are similar, but not an outright shootout. Just something to give a frame of reference.
y7IYowql.jpg

pzBMrApl.jpg

f1JEeFel.jpg

TLq00yyl.jpg

lxkY0Wul.jpg

jPGEoCTl.jpg

a4rhwc3l.jpg

uZAdQFfl.jpg

l5XHFZ7l.jpg

UD7m42Al.jpg

Mud turtle and hurley creek are heading out tomorrow morning. Still hoping to get the review and pics pulled out for the weekend.

One more teaser for now
9NO8mRHl.jpg

Received these two beauties a few days ago but they sat in their well packed box until this evening.

First impressions...

I unpacked the Hurley Creek first. I like the sheath setup. I have several knives in this size range that I like to carry to the left of my belt buckle. It’s a very comfortable spot and the knife is very easy to draw and pop back in the sheath.

I really like burlap scales and anytime you combine a full length handle with a small blade, you’ve got a tool that is usable and convenient. This would definitely qualify.

The Mud Turtle came out second. The sheath is a rich dark brown, with attractive tooling and well done stitching. I have to say that when I saw the pictures of the sheath I wasn’t sure how I felt about the squared off bottom. When I saw the sheath in person, I very much liked it.

I’m not sure if I had bikerector’s comparison pic of the Mud Turtle and Kephart in the back of my mind but the Mud Turtle did remind me somewhat of a sabre ground Kephart with a contoured handle. Overall it looks like a comfortable and capable field knife that could serve in a variety of roles.

I’m looking forward to using both. More to come...

Received these two beauties a few days ago but they sat in their well packed box until this evening.

First impressions...

I unpacked the Hurley Creek first. I like the sheath setup. I have several knives in this size range that I like to carry to the left of my belt buckle. It’s a very comfortable spot and the knife is very easy to draw and pop back in the sheath.

I really like burlap scales and anytime you combine a full length handle with a small blade, you’ve got a tool that is usable and convenient. This would definitely qualify.

The Mud Turtle came out second. The sheath is a rich dark brown, with attractive tooling and well done stitching. I have to say that when I saw the pictures of the sheath I wasn’t sure how I felt about the squared off bottom. When I saw the sheath in person, I very much liked it.

I’m not sure if I had bikerector’s comparison pic of the Mud Turtle and Kephart in the back of my mind but the Mud Turtle did remind me somewhat of a sabre ground Kephart with a contoured handle. Overall it looks like a comfortable and capable field knife that could serve in a variety of roles.

I’m looking forward to using both. More to come...

Glad to hear you got the knives! Also if you and bikerector bikerector have anything to say about the sheath negative or positive I would love to hear it. I’m Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the blades and seeing your review.

Some reasoning behind the hard lines on my sheaths vs the traditional rounded edge just because I’ve never mentioned it before I don’t think.

me personally as a designer for all my leather stuff I really like hard lines in a lot of things wether it be my designs or other people’s designs the hard lines always speak to me.

Secondly I haven’t seen any sheaths like that and the style not only fits my personal style but also is different from everyone else’s sheaths hopefully leaving a “hmmmm that’s interesting or that’s different” in a positive way so hopefully people will be interested in something a lil different, and catch their eye a lil longer at a glance. I also feel I can create a smaller profile with the harder angles vs a round edge in how I personally design/draw sheaths.

But I would love to hear any positive or negative feed back on the sheath whether it be in your review, just a post in the thread, or in a pm. I’m always looking to improve and no better way than feedback!

I'm not known for being brief but I'm hoping the pictures will do most of the talking and I'll just have to fill in the blanks. The teasers above should give a little information as well.

Basic Specs: 5" blade, 5" handle, 1/8" O1 tool steel, 1 1/4" tall blade, saber grind.

Overall: Great knife. It was a lot slicier than I expected, it performed very well in the kitchen considering 1/8" steel and saber grind. It could be the nice edge it came with from Ty, but that means anyone that can sharpen a knife well can make this thing stellar for food tasks. Think, camp kitchen knife, hunting knife, Kephart's original design intention, or a general purpose utility knife.
UD7m42Al.jpg

Blade: I think this is the magic on this one. It has the spear point and shape very reminiscent of the Kephart knife design/philosophy but with a saber grind. The tip is good and pointy and there's enough belly to make slicing easy. There's also a lot of flat section to do all of the woodscraft tasks.
EnrD2r1.jpg

JU6AeYdl.jpg

Ergos: Not bad, but this was where I liked it the least. It was a bit small for my large mits. If you have medium sized hands or smaller, you will be golden. If you like smaller handles but have large hands, I think you will also like it. If you like big handles like I do, I would ask John to make it a little bigger (taller or wider). I've requested an additional 1/8" extra material on the bottom, contoured side of the handle for one I've ordered. I think many could ask for slightly thicker micarta or liners (if John does liners still, I've never asked) and you would probably be set. If you're not hard using it, it will be fine. By hard using it, I mean cutting materials like dried wood like that from deadfall. John's Kephart has a slightly girthier handle, which I like a little more, which makes me think it's probably a small adjustment to get the mud turtle right up there in ergos. The overall shape is good, smooth, and allows many grip positions. Because of the smoother contouring, chopping isn't the most secure but not too many people use 5" knives of this weight to chop. It can do it, but not great at it, and the handle will want to slide a little without a bigger pinky hook seen on many other knives. The pinky hook is a deal-breaker for me, often time, on other knives because I find it limiting on many things, and I hate the hotspot it creates on my pinky, or my palm when using a chest lever technique.

Handle length is great, love this aspect and makes up a lot for the slight lack of girth.
hC2KKrFl.jpg

x9crn4Ql.jpg

Fk5J801l.jpg

x69hcIXl.jpg

Comparing to a BK62 handle, the knife I would probably most closely compare the mud turtle with. Both blades are reminiscent of the Kephart, slicey but sturdy and intended for many-purpose use. The BK62 handle is thinner but taller, especially around the forefinger, where the mud turtle could use a little more material, IMO.
G7JiQjyl.jpg

U91yJ45l.jpg

Performance as a knife: The knife slices really well and I think it would be great at any task that is more slicey in nature than pushing against heavy resistance, like wood carving. About wood carving, this is where I find scandi grinds unparalleled in performance, but they are weak in every other aspect. If you're not going to be doing a ton woodworking, I wouldn't worry about that. As mentioned above, I think the blade performs similarly to the BK62 in that it is very good at slicing and the blade is better at doing a lot of light work more than harder, wood processing, or carving types tasks. It can do it, but not the best at it. The LT Wright Bushcrafter Mark II with a high saber is my favorite bushcraft/woodcraft knife and it is very similar to both the BK62 and mud turtle in this regard as well. I also brought my 5160 buck 119 along, using it and the other knives to kind of calibrate my senses so I had reference points on the material I was working to compare with the mud turtle. This is something I do with all of my new knives, see how it compares to a current favorite in my intended use category.
a4rhwc3l.jpg

ogPIypUl.jpg

uZAdQFfl.jpg

lxkY0Wul.jpg

KCHQgKyl.jpg

TLq00yyl.jpg

IzUpK3Tl.jpg

Conclusion: The mud turtle is a great most-purpose kind of knife. It excels at handling most reasonable things you would ask a knife to do, and a few things you might not expect to use a knife for, but you do anyway because it's what you have on your person, for convenience. I think it would truly excel as a hunting knife, smaller butcher knife, or camp kitchen knife. It will serve well as a bushcraft knife too but I think the scandi ground knives do perform better for this type of thing than the mud turtle, or even the JK Kephart with its convex grind. Outside of carving, shaving, and chopping dry hardwood, it's fantastic and something I would highly recommend to most people that do not have big hands. If you have big hands, I would recommend asking for just a touch extra handle material to be left on there, not much, but a little.

Last edited:
I never mentioned ty_higg ty_higg 's sheath. It does have the boxy lines as he mentioned elsewhere and I find it pretty interesting. It appears and feels well made, not over-done with "graphics," and it works. I think the boxier design is visually appealing in person, though I think like others, it looks a bit different in pictures. I tend to not care for hip sheaths but I did make sure to use it in the above review, and it worked like a sheath is supposed to. It's secure and stable on the belt and secures the knife well while not putting a gorilla grip on the knife like some kydex can. Sure, you don't lose the knife with some kydex offerings, but by golly it ruins the experience of using a knife, having to fight it out of a sheath if you use it a lot, IMO. And yes, I like leather over kydex for 90% of my knives and their uses. I like that they're quiet too. Ty does leather well.

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to use the Mud Turtle yet but hope to get out over the weekend to give it a try.

I wore the Hurley last Saturday for the entire day. Initially I had it clipped on my belt, just to the left of my belt buckle but also experimented a bit with the positioning, moving it to my left hip. Both locations were very comfortable and I forgot multiple times that I was even carrying it.

I used it for some general light cutting tasks, cutting up boxes for the recycling, helping to take down the tomato plants by cutting vines and support twine and even did a bit of carving making some marshmallow toasting sticks for the evening fire. As expected, it zipped through everything easily and was a pleasure to use. The sheath was handy and comfortable. This would be a perfect EDC type blade.

Unfortunately I didn’t have an opportunity to get out with the MT this weekend but, if it’s ok, I’d like to hold onto it through this coming weekend. I will be going camping and will have a chance to use it then. I plan on using it as my primary blade but will probably take a few friends for comparison shots, etc.

Unfortunately I didn’t have an opportunity to get out with the MT this weekend but, if it’s ok, I’d like to hold onto it through this coming weekend. I will be going camping and will have a chance to use it then. I plan on using it as my primary blade but will probably take a few friends for comparison shots, etc.

I’m perfectly fine with it man!

Back