MUDD Auto knife

sgt1372 Posts this below.
Autonomy uses LC200N steel which is impervious to corrosion BUT other parts of the knife NOT made of LC200N can corrode if not cleaned/lubed properly. Not so the MUDD.
====
snapshot2017 replies.
I think the Spyderco Autonomy2 has quality material for it's liners and all internal parts, the power module that powers the blade of the Autonomy2 is replaceable as a unit, i have yet to read or hear of it failing because of it's spring failing or contamination rendering it unable to open or close.
If the Atonomy and the Spyderco Autonomy2 was developed to be submerged for long terms in saltwater, so i find it really hard to see any internal parts of the knife becoming corroded from the saltwater or any rust occurring.
If anyone can dispute this please do.

Last edited:
sgt1372 Posts this below.
Autonomy uses LC200N steel which is impervious to corrosion BUT other parts of the knife NOT made of LC200N can corrode if not cleaned/lubed properly. Not so the MUDD.
====
snapshot2017 replies.
I think the Spyderco Autonomy2 has quality material for it's liners and all internal parts, the power module that powers the blade of the Autonomy2 is replaceable as a unit, i have yet to read or hear of it failing because of it's spring failing or contamination rendering it unable to open or close.
If the Atonomy and the Spyderco Autonomy2 was developed to be submerged for long terms in saltwater, so i find it really hard to see any internal parts of the knife becoming corroded from the saltwater or any rust occurring.
If anyone can dispute this please do.
are the internal parts waterproof sealed? Pivot, locking mechanism? Don't know much about the Autonomy, seems pretty cool!

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the auto, but then I told myself that I would need to sell the ZT MUDD manual in order to get one. Somehow I could not do it. I still prefer the ZT manual MUDD.

I'll buy your MUDD manual if you decide the get an an auto. I don't need to sell one to get the other and have no problem owning both. ;)

yeah, not sealed, still cool knife.
They say the Mudd has some type of sealing, but does it really keep water or sand from getting inside.
I feel it's good marketing to imply it's sealed, but i feel it's really impossible for it to really be sealed to allow no amount of water or mudd to get inside.
Also the sliding "switch that they use to operate the knife, i find it really impossible for it to be sealed.
Sure you can dunk it in water or mud and it will work, but can anyone really say if no water or mud in any amount enters it.
If the Mudd's Design and engineering was so good, why had the US Coast Guard not picked them for their duty knife? I don't know of any military anywhere is using the Mudd auto knife.
Correct me if i am wrong.

They say the Mudd has some type of sealing, but does it really keep water or sand from getting inside.
I feel it's good marketing to imply it's sealed, but i feel it's really impossible for it to really be sealed to allow no amount of water or mudd to get inside.
Also the sliding "switch that they use to operate the knife, i find it really impossible for it to be sealed.
Sure you can dunk it in water or mud and it will work, but can anyone really say if no water or mud in any amount enters it.
If the Mudd's Design and engineering was so good, why had the US Coast Guard not picked them for their duty knife? I don't know of any military anywhere is using the Mudd auto knife.
Correct me if i am wrong.
never heard of the MUDD being waterproof, just sealed, so dirt, grime, mud, etc won't get in. The lock switch is sealed. Military paying for a $400 knife? Yeah, I don't know of one either, lol!

MPORTANT NEWS

We are currently not taking any more names for the unofficial M.U.D.D Auto List. The demand for our Deadlock design is just too high, so we've decided to take a step back from making more M.U.D.D knives in 2019. Instead, we will be shifting our focus to Deadlocks for the remainder of the year. We do plan on making more in the future, but it won't be until at least 2020.

Ok but why stop making a hot seller? If its selling out then add more names...i dont get it

never heard of the MUDD being waterproof, just sealed, so dirt, grime, mud, etc won't get in. The lock switch is sealed. Military paying for a $400 knife? Yeah, I don't know of one either, lol!
I have been looking at and buying Auto Knives even was selling them, all the major and a few not so major brands and i have never until i read that the Mudd was a sealed auto knife read any of the others were sealed.
Now i am sure the Mudd works and it does have a really good blade steel, same steel as my ZT 456, but marketing it at $400 US.... hey!! you can buy a Microtech Combat Troodon for that money and know it's value will not drop.

MPORTANT NEWS

We are currently not taking any more names for the unofficial M.U.D.D Auto List. The demand for our Deadlock design is just too high, so we've decided to take a step back from making more M.U.D.D knives in 2019. Instead, we will be shifting our focus to Deadlocks for the remainder of the year. We do plan on making more in the future, but it won't be until at least 2020.

Ok but why stop making a hot seller? If its selling out then add more names...i dont get it
if I, but man, Deadlocks are some of the best looking autos I've ever seen!

I have been looking at and buying Auto Knives even was selling them, all the major and a few not so major brands and i have never until i read that the Mudd was a sealed auto knife read any of the others were sealed.
Now i am sure the Mudd works and it does have a really good blade steel, same steel as my ZT 456, but marketing it at $400 US.... hey!! you can buy a Microtech Combat Troodon for that money and know it's value will not drop.
but is the Microtech sealed?
Either way, both cool knives.

The Benchmade Infidel is issued by some units. There is an Army unit that issues a Chris Reeve fixed blade too (at least they used to).

but is the Microtech sealed?
Either way, both cool knives.
I don't know of any other besides the Mudd that markets their Auto knives a being sealed.
I can tell you for sure the Microtech OTF Autos are not sealed and myself would not even put any oil on their blades, i have had many come back in with their Microtechs not opening or returning after putting oil on them, i have fixed them quickly by just spraying them with Hoppe's Blast and Shine. And then not putting any oil on them.

Well, I just ordered an Autonomy 2. Living on the coast and fishing saltwater, this knife may come in handy on the boat.

The Benchmade Infidel is issued by some units. There is an Army unit that issues a Chris Reeve fixed blade too (at least they used to).
The Benchmade Infidel is a great OTF knife, their sold with different types of blade steel, so be sure to check your getting say the one with M390 when maybe they are trying to sell you with one with a lesser quality blade steel.
Problem we had was getting them from Benchmade we might get one or two at a time, same with the Triage Auto we got two one day i quickly sold one and i bought the other never saw another come in while i was working in this store.

Well, I just ordered an Autonomy 2. Living on the coast and fishing saltwater, this knife may come in handy on the boat.
I don't know about it's use on a boat, but it surly will come in handy if the time comes you need to defend your life. :)

Back