MUKs - positives AND negatives

on_the_edge

Gold Member
Well, now that the Muks are getting into peoples' hands, there seem to be a lot of them hitting the exchange. Honestly, I guess I am a little surprised, but hey, if they aren't for you, that is no big deal in my eyes. The good Lord knows I have had my share of Busses that were not for me. So...those folks that have the MUK in hand...

What are the positives and negatives of the knife as you have seen for yourself? I am NOT interested in hearing, "hey, I just got them to flip them." I want to know what people with firsthand experience like and dislike about it.

Jerry said they would never be offered again. There were more than a few folks who bought 2 or 3. I'm guessing some folks bought an extra to flip. Nothing wrong with that I guess...

I only got one and it's a keeper...;)

An outstanding HOG sent me one and you bet it's a keeper. I new I would like this blade and I DO!!! No Negs here at all, handles well, layes in the hand good and cutting is very natural with it. Can't wait to get to skin something...

I have a negative.

I was a way at a military school while this went on.:(

They do look pretty awesome though!:thumbup::thumbup:

There were more than a few folks who bought 2 or 3. I'm guessing some folks bought an extra to flip.

Yeah this is why I think we are seeing a bunch on the X...

I love my two Muks and no negatives thus far. Perfect users.

Aesthetically speaking however, I did prefer the look of the meaner/sus scrofa handle on the mini muk proto, and if I was proficient with a grinder would maybe shape the handle on my muks something like this:

90e597ea.jpg

I don't see any negatives so far. I love the handle and overall size. Mine hasn't left the kitchen yet. It is a wicked slicer. It could be a little thinner for this use but I wouldn't want to compromise strength when I take it outside.

tundratrader, by the way, I just wanted to say I think you did a very nice thing! I was going to do it but I found out you beat me to it. =)

I love the Muk:cool::thumbup: It slices through lettuce and tomatoes with ease. I use it daily for bean tostadas:D They're better than ramen noodles:foot:
It also spreads a mean PB & J:thumbup: And rocks back and forth sweet. Works very well in the kitchen:cool::thumbup:

I am serious about the tostadas:eek:

Al

Last edited:
I was on the fence with these originally but thought it might be an opportunity to get my wife one. Unfortunately it really isn't ideal as a kitchen knife (and I know that is not it's designed purpose) but it has the same geometric thickness as my CABS and I much prefer the CABS with the drop point blade. That is why mine is gone. I no longer care if it won't ever be made again or was a limited run. If I can't see myself using it if the moment arose then I would rather send it to somebody who can.

I got mine and if you want it, I will flip it to you.................for a million dollars!..................NOT

mine showed today -- I have a bald patch on my arm now. Beef did the edge right on it!
I was surprised at how thin and flat the scales are - not sure how much I'll like that.
OTOH, the handle is a good length and width for my hand and the balance is right where I like it.
This is going to be primarily a kitchen knife for now, we'll see what else happens once rabbit and bambi seasons open up in a few months.

I like the MUK. I plan on keeping them. If I were looking for flaws ,I would say I wish the end of the handle was more squared off than rounded. And maybe a little swell in the middle of the handle scales. But it is a good little knife just like it is. Have not gotten to use it heavily, but looking forward to when I can.

Got my MUK yesterday. It's a really nice knife and sort of different from the typical Busse being so thin. My wife does all the cooking so I don't care about utility in the kitchen. I laid it on the counter next to my ratmandu and thought which knife do I want to carry outside and the rat won. My Muk is on its way to a new owner. If I was rich I would not mind keeping one in the safe. Still a nice knife and I am sure many are pleased.

Well, now that the Muks are getting into peoples' hands, there seem to be a lot of them hitting the exchange. Honestly, I guess I am a little surprised, but hey, if they aren't for you, that is no big deal in my eyes. The good Lord knows I have had my share of Busses that were not for me. So...those folks that have the MUK in hand...

What are the positives and negatives of the knife as you have seen for yourself? I am NOT interested in hearing, "hey, I just got them to flip them." I want to know what people with firsthand experience like and dislike about it.

I love the way they look, great satin job, wicked sharp edges!! (Josh did mine... :thumbup:)

Positive... Fits my left hand perfectly. :)
Negative... I'm right handed. :( For some reason, it just isn't very comfortable to hold in this hand. I guess the RH is just a tad bigger...

This ain't Busse's fault and hopefully, a set of liners should be all that I need to have it feel as good in the right hand, so I'll send it in after BLADE to see. It really is a sweet knife. :thumbup:

The Anorexic HOG MUK LE will NEVER be offered again NOR will there ever be a Combat Grade offered of this model.
this statement does not preclude a SE, or a NON-anorexic version being offered.

My personal experience with MUK = negative! folks who bought them for $285 and charging almost $100 more on the exchange the week they receive it. Is that what hogdom is about?

I did see one hog sell his on the xchange at cost plus shipping, but not until AFTER he PM offered the same blade to me for $375!!!

AFAICT, the way of the hog muk is to price gouge on the secondary, and take advantage of other hogs that didn't get in on it.

I must admit, it leaves a muky taste in my mouth, and no muk in my hand.

Of course, that's part of the beauty of America, you can sell stuff for whatever price you want.

Back