MUKs - positives AND negatives

IMO, this knife's full potential won't be known until hunting season. When I first saw the design, I searched the net for the original Nessmuck and it's applications. If it turns out to be a "ace" skinning knife, it's probably going to be a highly sought after knife by hunter's.

My personal experience with MUK = negative! folks who bought them for $285 and charging almost $100 more on the exchange the week they receive it. Is that what hogdom is about?

I did see one hog sell his on the xchange at cost plus shipping, but not until AFTER he PM offered the same blade to me for $375!!!

AFAICT, the way of the hog muk is to price gouge on the secondary, and take advantage of other hogs that didn't get in on it.

I must admit, it leaves a muky taste in my mouth, and no muk in my hand.

This again? Didnt Jerry make a "no whining" rule after the last time?

My personal experience with MUK = negative! folks who bought them for $285 and charging almost $100 more on the exchange the week they receive it. Is that what hogdom is about?

I did see one hog sell his on the xchange at cost plus shipping, but not until AFTER he PM offered the same blade to me for $375!!!

AFAICT, the way of the hog muk is to price gouge on the secondary, and take advantage of other hogs that didn't get in on it.

Someone is bitter. You ask what hogdom is about? Im not a hog so someone correct me if wrong, I know what hogdom is not about, ya cant sit back on a limited time offering and expect the secondary market to have one waiting for you at the special "hog price", sorry, doesn't work that way. As for charging, "almost $100 more" as you stated, if they got special hog pricing ($287) lets not forget the atleast $12 busse will charge for shipping, now your at $299. Also, assuming that same member is including paypal and shipping in the $375 price you mention, thats at least another $20 out of the sellers pocket, now we are up to about $320. So after all said and done, that $100 is not a complete profit. Coming out ahead $55 on a near $300 knife (busse regular pricing is $337 w/out s&h, apx $372 with multi G10) is not IMO at all unreasonable esp when you take into account they will NEVER be offered again. One thing anyone who is into busses should know, if you want a new and upcoming model at a righteous price, dont expect it from the secondary market.

*added* Whoops, if you play by the book, I also forgot to equate for use tax and paying taxes on protfits, also $4per gallon gas that it takes to get to the PO :D:thumbup:

Last edited:

So based on this you actually have ZERO experience with the MUK - although I dont always like what goes on witht he exchange, troll somewhere else dude.

Further, did you manage to read the thread about the Hog who anonymously helped out a fellow member by getting him a MUK? I'm assuming you didn't read that one, but THAT is what being a hog is.

The handle could be a little more ergonomic but I haven't used it a lot yet. I would have liked to see the curves we've seen with the BOSS Street and BOSS Jack handles. Hog MUK is a million times better than the SAR5 broom handle...

Last edited:
quote from Jaxx, I love the way they look, great satin job, wicked sharp edges!! (Josh did mine... )

Jaxx, you are exactly right, Josh done mine as well, great job Bro, I got the Blue and Black, G10, wow man that stuff is way awesome, what a preview to Blade 2011, can't wait to see everyone, it is gonna be a blast. Back on topic, Jerry and crew knocked it out of the park with the Muk, all I can say is I am glad that I jumped in at the very last moment, mine had to be one of the last orders, locked in...

Someone is bitter. You ask what hogdom is about? Im not a hog so someone correct me if wrong, I know what hogdom is not about, ya cant sit back on a limited time offering and expect the secondary market to have one waiting for you at the special "hog price", sorry, doesn't work that way. As for charging, "almost $100 more" as you stated, if they got special hog pricing ($287) lets not forget the atleast $12 busse will charge for shipping, now your at $299. Also, assuming that same member is including paypal and shipping in the $375 price you mention, thats at least another $20 out of the sellers pocket, now we are up to about $320. So after all said and done, that $100 is not a complete profit. Coming out ahead $55 on a near $300 knife (busse regular pricing is $337 w/out s&h, apx $372 with multi G10) is not IMO at all unreasonable esp when you take into account they will NEVER be offered again. One thing anyone who is into busses should know, if you want a new and upcoming model at a righteous price, dont expect it from the secondary market.

*added* Whoops, if you play by the book, I also forgot to equate for use tax and paying taxes on protfits, also $4per gallon gas that it takes to get to the PO :D:thumbup:

You are very close with this but I can tell you exactly where the numbers came for me in selling mine. At the time I didn't get the discount and paid the ganza price of $297 for the micarta version. Busse charged $15 shipping putting it at $312 to my door. When I sold mine I charged $15 shipping but in actuality it ended up being $16.30. Then add the fact that it was paid with PayPal which adds another $10.11 giving a grand total of $338.41. So to charge $375 with the PP fees already included gives you an extra $36.59. And like you said that's not to mention the time and effort put into shipping out a knife.

Now if it's not completely obvious you are talking about me so let's put it out there. I was getting ready to sell mine and noticed that you and another fellow had missed out on one that just sold for $375. So I sent out a PM stating that I had one that I could sell for $375 (having not yet done all the math I figured that price would cover the costs to break even). Thinking I could help somebody out that missed the opportunity. If you had replied that you thought that was high I would have sat down and done the math to get it to you for $340.

You are very close with this but I can tell you exactly where the numbers came for me in selling mine. At the time I didn't get the discount and paid the ganza price of $297 for the micarta version. Busse charged $15 shipping putting it at $312 to my door. When I sold mine I charged $15 shipping but in actuality it ended up being $16.30. Then add the fact that it was paid with PayPal which adds another $10.11 giving a grand total of $338.41. So to charge $375 with the PP fees already included gives you an extra $36.59. And like you said that's not to mention the time and effort put into shipping out a knife.

Its not too often that I enjoy being wrong :D:thumbup:

None of the responses have mention the one thing that should be mentioned regarding the reply:

Original Post:
What are the positives and negatives of the knife as you have seen for yourself? I am NOT interested in hearing, "hey, I just got them to flip them." I want to know what people with firsthand experience like and dislike about it.

I have not weighed in with my opinion of what I think is probably the case because I don't have a MUK and thus can't qualify for the OP's request. regardless of feelings about the secondary market - the OP requested that no opinions be given about it and that opinions be limited to first hand experience with the knife itself. If you have complaints about the secondary market pricing there are a few places on bladeforums where you can post them, but it shouldn't be in this thread for no other reason than because the OP requested them to not be.

I'm not saying that I don't understand why your unhappy or that your opinion isn't worth hearing (it is), just that it's a non sequitur (or intentional disregard) in this thread because of the qualifiers the OP asked for.

For user or business specific grievances the " FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!" sub forum can be found here (though when posting in any subforum one should read the rules/faq thread to be sure that a post qualfies for that subforum):
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/699-FEEDBACK-The-Good-The-Bad-The-Ugly!

IMO, this knife's full potential won't be known until hunting season. When I first saw the design, I searched the net for the original Nessmuck and it's applications. If it turns out to be a "ace" skinning knife, it's probably going to be a highly sought after knife by hunter's.

I don't have one, but from what I have seen of the MUK, and what I know about INFI...it should excel as a skinner.

Congrats. to everybody that scored one!

I'm not sure if it's a positive or negative, but I do have an observation: I was having a hard time getting the Muk handle to really lock into my grip... It just wasn't sitting right for me... Then I remembered something I'd read on a post a while back: I stopped trying to put my grip where I "wanted" it to be, and instead tried to let the handle dictate my grip... I let the knife skootch forward in my hand a bit, and... Ding! I had been trying to grip it too high on the handle. What I ended up with was basically a three-and-a-half finger grip: three fingers on the scales, with my pinky wrapped on the exposed tang. That's all it took. The handle swell made sense, and dropped right into meaty part of my hand. I can switch from a hammer grip to a saber grip instantly, and both feel rock solid.

Now, granted I've got some pretty thick and stubby ham-hands, so your mileage may vary. But if you've been put off by the handles on the Muk so far, try dropping your grip back a bit and see if it works for you, too...

-TheLunk-

Good to hear (read) about the grip. I have largish, meaty hands and I go for thinner handles than many others seem to. I had thinner slabs put on my BATAC and it is now perfect for me. I am hoping the same of the MUK.

What are the positives and negatives of the knife as you have seen for yourself? I am NOT interested in hearing, "hey, I just got them to flip them." I want to know what people with firsthand experience like and dislike about it.

My firsthand experience was trying to buy the muk, but I was dealing with hogs, not the Hog Muk LE, so based on a strict interpretation of the OP's request, I am sorry for posting my experience.

And for the record, I had more than one person PM me trying to sell me their knife, and they all included that they didn't want to step on toes of the seller whose thread I posted in.

and oeser, thank you for allowing someone else to get in at a reasonable price that didn't order in the 10 day period.

dericdesmond said:
One thing anyone who is into busses should know, if you want a new and upcoming model at a righteous price, dont expect it from the secondary market.
Thanks, I'll remember that. Wish I had known this earlier. This is the first bussekin knife that I have seen firsthand the opening/closing of the buying period, and subsequent secondary transactions of.

Last edited:
Its not too often that I enjoy being wrong :D:thumbup:

:thumbup::cool:;)

and oeser, thank you for allowing someone else to get in at a reasonable price that didn't order in the 10 day period.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Now as for the OP's question, I realized I didn't exactly answer it. (thanks for the reminder LVC:))

For me and my wife's needs in the kitchen the blade had too much curve to it to be effective as a chopper/slicer and the first thing my wife had difficulty with was the size of the handle. If it had been closer to the size of an AD for example she might have kept it. The blade geometry and thickness when measured on calipers is almost identical to the CABS which was really nice. I agree that the Muk's full potential will probably be realized during hunting season. For me it is more of a specialized knife for skinning and game processing rather than an all purpose knife and since I don't do a lot of gutting and skinning of large game I opted not to keep mine. I dare say, if you are looking for a muk style knife this one will be hard to beat.:cool:

I found the MUK to look better in person than in pictures and the handles to feel great. It will make a great skinner in hunting season and will make every busse knife collection better! As for the secondary market. .; .One of the draws for buying busse knives is that most of the time you can recover your money even after using a knife so you can buy other knives to keep life EXCITING. In a free market why not make a profit so you can buy more knives? I love my busse knives and honestly think the secondary market helps promote the production of future models by keeping demand high. People should stop whining, relax and drink more wine in my opinion

I was on the fence with these originally but thought it might be an opportunity to get my wife one. Unfortunately it really isn't ideal as a kitchen knife (and I know that is not it's designed purpose) but it has the same geometric thickness as my CABS and I much prefer the CABS with the drop point blade. That is why mine is gone. I no longer care if it won't ever be made again or was a limited run. If I can't see myself using it if the moment arose then I would rather send it to somebody who can.

I would have thought the Muk would be great for 'kitchen-use'... but I can definetly see what you mean with regards to: "the blade had too much curve to it to be effective as a chopper/slicer and the first thing my wife had difficulty with was the size of the handle."

I'm happy to hear everybody likes theirs. :thumbup:

While I haven't got to use mine yet, it has a perfect skinning grip. That is, choked up with middle finger against the blade edge & first finger along the spine. First finger sets in just right against the curve of the spine. Feels real natural. oh yeah, I bought mine, not to flip, but sorta as an investment. It's limited so if I ever hit rock bottom, I planned on making a profit. Now that it's in hand, I plan on using it. I actually like it a whole lot more than I thought I would. Now I have no plans on letting it go!

Pros- I like the sweep of the blade, seems like it will be a great slicer and will come in handy during salsa making time for tomatos, garlic, peppers, etc. The lines and curves I found, well, very attractive as well.

Cons- I didn't care for the big handle (wide and long) with thin scales; at first. The more I handled it, I got used to it and you have great control over the knife and have plenty of room to use it with gloves on. Oh, I didn't like the baby talon hole on it, but there's not a lot of room for a full size hole.

I think it is a great little knife, and faily light weight. I think the G-10 scales feel better than the micarta (on this model), and I think it could actually be a bushcrafter knife if you worked with it a lot.

Oh... very nice satin finish, Josh did a great job on the edges of the two I got, I like the v-rope cut on the scales and the pattern on the G-10.

I know I'm missing something, but I haven't used it yet so I can't give detailed experience.

I got one just because I wanted to see if I would like it and I do. Never used a Nessmuk style before, but I can see this being a good skinner and possibly bushcraft knife. The finnish is excellent and the feel is better than expected. I agree that you should let the knife dictate where to hold it...the balance point was a little further back than I thought it should be, until I handled it a bit more and found it works very well when held a little further back than I thought I should. My 8.5 sized hands fit very well with my pinky finger all the way back nearly to the butt of the handle. Can't wait to try this out next deer season (will put it up against my GW).

Just got mine, Love them more later :)

Back