Multi-Tools..are they still relevant?

Thomas Carey

Dealer / Materials Provider
At one time Multi-Tools were very popular but now it seems like fewer people carry them. Do you think these are still relevant or past their prime?

I think they are still around, just not carried on the belt as much as they were. I keep one under the seat of my truck

I think they still are very relevant, but then again it all depends on the individual. Are they trendy? No, they aren't it seems. Some of the engineers I work with on occasion carry a multitool of some sort at all times. I have one in every vehicle, in my tool bag, and a few around the house. Not a substantial enough substitute for a dedicated tool, but they work well enough.

I always carry a Skeletal -- a scaled-down multitool that is basically pliers, a screwdriver and a blade. I never use the blade because I always carry a pocket knife. The Skeletal is light enough to hang in my off pocket, and the pliers come in handy in a pinch.

I've always like the idea of a full-on multitool, but it's too much to carry, both in terms of bulk and weight. And, as RevDevil says, dedicated tools, which I have everywhere, are much better.

My Leatherman is an everyday carry, pliers are about the only thing I use, The main reason for that is if I go into the woods I have a military (pistol belt I think they are called) with canteen, ect on it, and i can hook the belt behind the leatherman thus keeping the belt from sliding down

Last edited:
I tend to keep them in glove compartments and backpacks rather than carrying one on my belt or pocket.

Relevant? Heck yes! A screw from my garden chair fell today. I was able to fix it and we had a pleasant evening at the pool.

20150726_181655_zpsasnjnbyo.jpg

We cut some vines and branches. I used my LM saw and my Spyderco to notch some of them, then we used cordage to tie them together and then I used the serrated blade to cut the cord.

20150726_191652_zpsldyyg2uw.jpg

20150726_180107_zpsnyfvvs7g.jpg

I opened two cans of asparagus with the can opener.
Four different tools needed and had all of them on my person, so I could use them instantly. That is on an average day.
So, for me, yes :)
They are still relevant.

And I can't catch the sun with my pliers, no matter how thin and needlenose they are. Dammit!

20150726_181931_zpsauve2yw6.jpg

I carry a Leatherman PS4 everyday no matter what folder I have on me. I use the PS4 almost everyday.

I have my Leatherman MUT in my work bag everyday, use it all the time at work and around the house. I have a Gerber multi tool in my tackle box as well. I think they are still very relevant.

I think it all depends on your industry or environment. Yes there are a lot of people that don't feel the need to keep one around, or tried it for a while, but have decided against it. I don't know if its because the average belt has become heavier with the rise of the smartphone, or its just a general attitude towards "knives" in general. But in some places they are still very much a part of the uniform, theater and stage techs, film crews, and the like still rely heavily on multis, despite a few companies trying to make dedicated tools.
I would say that in general, they are just as popular as they ever were, its just that more people go for the heavier models and keep them in a bag rather than on a belt.

I feel naked without one, I'd be amazed if I go a day without using it at least once. I wore a surge for years 3/4 lb monster. My next one is probably going back to a wave or other lighter model with a bit adapter. With the exception of recessed screws there isn't much it won't do. The only thing I don't really use on the leatherman is the knife (I carry a real knife that holds an edge

You can end up looking like you're wearing a bat belt (phone,flashlight, multitool, bitkit....) . I'm thinking of going skinth like the edc'ers do, to put it all in one place. But people that know me call me macgyver. If you're not a fixit kinda guy, it is pointless to carry the extra weight. Some need them, some don't.

Sure they are just depends on the demographic. For me it's not condusive because there is a tool box with arms reach all the time during work hours, plus I find them bulky and not a fan of sheath carry. But a lot of the buildings I work in the engineers have them on their hip for small odd tasks as they make their rounds. I will carry a sak pioneer but in my jaded mind I don't consider it a "multi tool".

Tell me about the black paint please. Is that to make it more visible, or maybe identify it as yours? Mythbuster's Jamie Hyneman sprays his tools yellow so they don't end up in someone else's toolbox.

I have given up carrying a plier-based multitool, because I just never, ever need pliers. But I always have a SAK of some sort, primarily for the scissors and drivers.

I think locking folders are "in" at the moment and multitools are not as popular as they were 20 years ago but they are definitely, in my opinion, still relevant.

I find I rarely need a plier based tool despite owning several. However, I almost never leave the house without a Victorinox tool in my pocket, and often it's my only knife.

I've carried a plier based tool for nearly 20 years.
Most of that was a slip joint Leatherman juice pro.
I'm carrying a Leatherman surge now after not being able to get a new pro and wanting something I could beat on and know that the warranty would be able to replace. I use the pliers and screwdrivers the most.

Leatherman Wave almost always on my belt...Supertool always in my glove box...relevant??? I think so...I like having the saw, file, drivers, and occasionally pliers.

A Leatherman PS4 is on my person daily, EDC. So handy!

A Leatherman Wave lives in a Maxpedition Fatty in my car as part of a rather complete but diminutive toolkit.

So yes, I say multi-tools are still relevant.

Back