Multi-Tools..are they still relevant?

For my work it makes my life so much easier. Would never want to do a work day without one. Weekends I usualy go lighter with a multitool that the pliers is not the main tool. Have very little use for a blade all by itself.

I didn't like their weight for edc for years, but I just got tired of needing pliers, screwdriver, wire cutters, etc. and not having them with me. Even though I had all that stuff in my truck, my shop, house, and heck, even in my bedroom, there were still times when I just didn't have tools when I needed them. It seems I can't always bring a toolbag with me, even if I'd like to! I started carrying the multitools I already had but they were clunky and low quality, so I got a Super Tool 300. Now that I have it, I pretty much always have it on my belt. I use the pliers and screwdrivers daily and most of the other tools a couple of times a week. It also balances out the weight of my phone on the other side on my belt. :thumbup: I can't easily carry it at work, but I do carry a Micra and sometimes a Vic Pioneer. For me, I would say multitools are 100% relevant, useful, and necessary. I love them!

That being said, I am quite the "tinkerer." I do all my own repairs on vehicles and around the house. I'm always working on or building something, often with several projects going on at the same time. My "spare time" is full of things that require a multitool, or a full bag of tools; so for me, it only makes sense to carry a multitool all the time.

The "bit wallet" rides in my left back pocket quite comfortably and the bit driver gives me more sturdiness than the Leatherman bit adapter.

It depends, i noticed a lot of people are too consumed with the media, where all you need is a smart device.

I have hobbies and at times need little tools here and there.
So if you're the tinker with your toys type, a multitool is really helpful. If you just buy cool things, then it's not relevant, just paper weight.

I like my multitools but I don't carry one everyday due to size and weight. I do frequently carry one on weekends or traveling when I'm most likely to use it. I have one in my desk drawer at work so I'm covered there.

On 2 separate occasions in the past few years I've been out in the middle of nowhere at night with my cousin in his vehicle and had to use my Leatherman to fix the vehicle so we could make it back to town.

I like my multitools but I don't carry one everyday due to size and weight.
I like my multitool and I carry it everyday specifically due to size and weight and, of course, usefulness. I carry a Leatherman Micra. ;)

In terms of relevance, I work in an office and I've said before that I could accomplish 95% of everything I need to accomplish with nothing more than my Micra and a pair of ordinary office shears. The only reason I carry an EDC is because I like knives. :)

I think they are still relevant. I still see them for sale every time I go into Lowes. I recently bought two different ones myself. A backup for my
original Sog Powerlock, in black, and recently got a Multitasker series 3 to put with my range gear.

I don't carry a multi tool on my belt, but I just don't use one on a daily basis. There is one in a bedroom drawer with some knife gear, one on
my carry pack, and at least one in the truck. They certainly have their place. Being that they are being further specialized like the ones designed
to work on firearms and such I think they only place to go is up.

I wear a belt when i have to work so a sheath is easily carried. When im not working i dont usually wear a belt , so multitools are not really easy to edc , or at least the swisstool i carry.....without a belt. I did recently pickup a Leatherman sideclip which is quickly becoming a favorite. Im not too crazy about the newer pocket clipable multitools .
Multi tools still have a place and are very relevant , i use mine daily. I think unfortunately the "handy man" is becoming a thing of the past and sheeple are more prevalent.

I have a Leatherman Wave with the extra bit kit tha is always either in my briefcase, the saddlebag of my bicycle or on my belt. I would despair without it. Even though I have a fair number of 'proper' tools, the Leatherman is so much more handy.

I have been carrying a Swisstool Spirit X to work everyday in a Skinth with a 3" XM-18 for a while now and its amazing. I just recently bought a PS4 that I keep on my keychain and its the best 25$ or so I've spent in a long time. It took a couple of days to get used to the extra weight on my keychain but its totally worth it. When Im not working I always have a small sebenza and the ps4 on me. Either way I don't leave the house without a multi-tool. Makes me wish there were some custom makers out there.

Yes Multi-tools are still relevant after all you can't carry around a tool box full of tools on your person at all times, unless your occupation requires you to do that.

So one of the best ways to have a lot of tools on your person is a multi-tool.

Relevant?

(snip)

I opened two cans of asparagus with the can opener.
Four different tools needed and had all of them on my person, so I could use them instantly. That is on an average day.
So, for me, yes :)
They are still relevant.

And I can't catch the sun with my pliers, no matter how thin and needlenose they are. Dammit!

20150726_181931_zpsauve2yw6.jpg

Love this picture. Great photo!

Not sure what is meant by relevant, but I carry multiples ever day and use them every day. So for me, at least, they are relevant.

I don't think they are as trendy as they were, but who cares. I was shown the value of a MT in the spring of 2000. I had joined my college's rowing crew. We were a club sport (that's university speak for basically unfunded). I noticed that almost all of the more seasoned members carried simple Gerber MTs on their persons. Our 8 man boat bolted together in the middle so that it could be strapped to the top of a panel van when we traveled. A jar of Teflon grease was stored with the med kit, and before a regatta we would scramble to assemble our boat. The MTs were crucial as fine tuning the bolts had to be done in the water (we didn't know where it would leak until we got it in the lake).

I have never been without one since those days. Now, it might not always be on my belt, but I generally always have a tool within reach. I've got a Leatherman Rev in my office drawer that goes with me on lighter days. It's kinda like a mouse gun, it's the tool I pack when I don't think I'll need a tool;) It's even my cheap little boating tool. Granted, I've traded in the 8 man for a trip on my stepdad's pontoon, and my duties are less "turn that bolt so we don't sink!" and more "did anyone bring a bottle opener for the beer?", but I always have a tool on me clipped to my trunks.

I have tried to carry a multi-tool (pliers based) off and on since the 1990's (first Gerber, then SOG, and most recently a Vic), and I simply don't use them enough to justify the weight along with my SAK. I now carry a Vic multi-tool in my field bag and if I anticipate a situation where I may need it, it's on my belt. I don't think they are as "in" as they used to be. Cut a couple thin wires yesterday with my SAK and I don't like to do that.... the multi-tool would have been a much better choice. Cutting wires with the multi-tool has been its dominant use along with the pliers over the years. The other tools tend to be a pain to access and I do it only when I have no other choice.

At work I carry a leatherman wave on my belt- I mostly use the screwdrivers and pliers.

When I am not at work I keep one in my bag.

If you need a pliers based multi tool, then yes, they are relevant

Granted, its not a smart phone, but it was more useful in fixing a fence found damaged on the homestead today

I work in IT and with the exception of some of our Indian developers, just about everyone has some form of multi-tool in their desk, if not on their person.

They're not the novelty they were 20+ years ago when Leatherman brought multi-tools into the main stream, but I think that they are still universally acknowledged as being useful. I would guess the majority of cars on the road have a cheap multi-tool stashed away in them somewhere.

I have tried to carry a multi-tool (pliers based) off and on since the 1990's (first Gerber, then SOG, and most recently a Vic), and I simply don't use them enough to justify the weight along with my SAK. I now carry a Vic multi-tool in my field bag and if I anticipate a situation where I may need it, it's on my belt. I don't think they are as "in" as they used to be. Cut a couple thin wires yesterday with my SAK and I don't like to do that.... the multi-tool would have been a much better choice. Cutting wires with the multi-tool has been its dominant use along with the pliers over the years. The other tools tend to be a pain to access and I do it only when I have no other choice.

I agree that some of them are just too big and heavy. I went for the Gerber Legend as it is lighter, but had the carbide jaws that let me cut the hardened wire that I need to cut. Decent locking blade was the other good feature. I never used many of the tools on it though as they overlap the Champ SAK I've carried for years.

I EDC a Swisstool Spirit, the one with the serrated sheepsfoot blade instead of the scissors. I've been carrying it for 5 years now. I don't find myself using it every day, but when I do need it, it sure comes in handy. It's saved my bacon a few times as well. After about the first year, the leather sheath it came in crapped out around the Velcro fastener, so I 've been carrying mine horizontally on my belt in an old Benchmade Bali-Song sheath. I barely notice I'm carrying it. I wish I could find a more discreet, yet still durable sheath with a horizontal carry option.

Prior to my Spirit, I carried various Leathermans on and off for years. But for me, the Spirit is THE multi-tool, and I've never looked back. It's sturdy but not too bulky...just right. And it works like a charm.

Jim

Back