Multi-Tools..are they still relevant?

Yes, I carry my SAK Tinker all the time. Don't like multi-tools that I have to unfold seven ways from Sunday before I can use a tool or blade.

I used to carry a Tinker and moved to the larger 111mm size Adventurer which I like a lot better and is a more efficient cutting tool with the same accessories as the Tinker. I keep a Vic Spirit multi-tool in my field bag which is normally inside my truck. I tried to carry it on a regular basis, but like you I just don't like something on my belt unless it's a fixed blade knife in the woods. But, if I am doing a job where there is a high likelihood of cutting a wire or three, need for a small pliers, I will have the Spirit on my belt ready for use. But it is only carried under very specific conditions. Retrieving the other tools from a plier based multi-tool is a pain in the butt and only done when I have no other tool choices.

I differentiate between a knife (typical swiss army knives) and a multi-tool.

One of the many features I like about my Vic Spirit is I can open the tools without having to open the whole tool.

Jim

True...That's why I love mine

20150801_085843_zps4csvtzlu.jpg

And I don't have a problem carrying since it is almost my lightest full-size MT, it literally is a feather for what it gives you, just compare it to the inmortal LM Wave, or other LM tools...

IMG-20150722-WA0014_zpsvrnxwj8k.jpg

If they are no longer relevant I wish someone would tell me what I should use in place of mine! ;)

I EDC a SwissTool Spirit X and use it all the time. I feel naked without it. Mine came with the velcro leather sheath. I'd prefer a snap just because I sometimes snag the sheath on things and it comes undone. The tool has never come out (and I doubt it would), I just prefer a snap. Not a deal breaker though.

I wear good quality leather belts and a heavy duty gun belt and don't even notice the few extra ounces.

I can't imagine being without it. I'd have to carry around a toolbox or something to get the same usefulness I do out of this one tool.

I'm a huge Victorinox fan. I own probably 20-30 SAKs and they are all users. I keep one in every vehicle, every pack, every EDC, BOB, overnight kit, kitchen drawer, shop, garage, you name it, they are everywhere.

My wife EDC's a Rambler (she is definitely NOT a knife person like we are) and I remember her hemming and hawing over it when I gave it to her to EDC. She ended up attaching it to her AAA EDC flashlight (Innova XS, awesome little light) and putting them both in her purse where she could easily get to them. One morning before work I took it out of her purse to sharpen and she got home and said she went to use it at work and couldn't fine it. She said she must've lost it and could I buy her another one. She was almost in tears and very happy when I gave her back her sharp Rambler.

SAKs make women happy! :D

I'm a huge Victorinox fan. I own probably 20-30 SAKs and they are all users. I keep one in every vehicle, every pack, every EDC, BOB, overnight kit, kitchen drawer, shop, garage, you name it, they are everywhere.

+1

I keep Leathermans everywhere, and then tend to pocket carry my SAKs.

My wife EDC's a Rambler (she is definitely NOT a knife person like we are) and I remember her hemming and hawing over it when I gave it to her to EDC. She ended up attaching it to her AAA EDC flashlight (Innova XS, awesome little light) and putting them both in her purse where she could easily get to them. One morning before work I took it out of her purse to sharpen and she got home and said she went to use it at work and couldn't fine it. She said she must've lost it and could I buy her another one. She was almost in tears and very happy when I gave her back her sharp Rambler.

SAKs make women happy! :D

That's a good story. Not that your wife cried, but that SAKs are important to her, too :)

I carry a Leatherman pocket size multi-tool every day. Don't leave home without it. It's just too dad gum useful and there's no excuse not to have it with you.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Hmmm. This thread is a year old! Well, multitools are still very relevant to me. Today I carried a Victorinox Classic on my keyring, as well as a Victorinox Tourist in my pocket. And what the hey, I also had a Leatherman Micra in my pocket today. A little redundancy is okay with me!

Alex

My Leatherman Skeletool is the one piece of steel guaranteed on my person every day. And I use it every day for multiple tasks. The blade gets the most work, but the screw driver and pliers also see their share of duty. I also carry on a belt loop via the carabiner. Perfect all around tool with awesome, tough 154 steel.

I have two Skeletools and keep the back up in a bag.

I'm kind of a tool guy, so one part of me does not like multitools. Why have an inadequate tool when you can use a dedicated one that does it better? That said, the other side of me says - how big of a toolbox am I willing to bring with me?

In my mind, there are multiple classes of multitools. 1) keychain 2) EDC pocket 3) special occasion 4) portable tool sets

The keychain is the type, well, it always with you on the keys. This something like a classic, rambler, or style ps.
An EDC pocket for me could be a pocketknife, or it could be a cadet, pioneer, or compact.

Special occasion multitools are things that I take with me on either a camping trip or a extended hike. For me, it's a OH Trekker.

And then the there's the portable toolbox. I must admit, this is my biggest problem area where I think the multitool lets me down. This is something where I sometimes decide to go with a wave, or do I put on a belt pouch and stock with screwdrivers/pliers/hammers etc? Or do I bring with me a carry bag instead stocked with both hand tools and battery powered? The wave's pliers usually just aren't big enough, or the right shape, or can't fit. The knives and saw are good I've been happy with. The screwdrivers are unwieldy compared to a normal screwdriver making things go much slower. Is it faster to just go back and get the regular screwdriver, or turn this awkwardly for a while longer? Alternatively, I carry the pouch - and I'll be annoyed because I recently lost an opinel kmkfe that must have fallen out. Or I can lug around the bag - and not find a good place to put it when I'm up on a ladder. Often times, I'll start with the wave - switch to the pouch - and then wind up bringing so many tools I need the bag ... And then basically just have tools scattered everywhere anyway.

I always have Victorinox Pioneer X in my pocket (used to be the regular Pioneer before the X version came out). And then I have a Leatherman's scattered around my house, in my car, my various EDC bags, and even carry one with me by plane if I'm checking a bag. So almost always have a Leatherman near by.

Only carried one for a short stint once while in Iraq. I just don't need a tool chest on my belt and use a SAK more. An engineer at work wears one. He also wears a pocket protector.

Last edited:
So, it's been a year now, and the thread is still coming up. I've thought over the question and I think I still feel the same as I did let year. I think som eking of small multitool is a good thing to have around, but don't let it get ridiculous. Dealing with an occasional screw, or bottle cap, is one thing, but how many of us really need to have a complete tool kit on our belt?

I have to hand it to Tim Leatherman, he did a great job of creating a market for a product that is a answer to an unasked question. Some of the Leatherman's I see are just overkill unless you are in some sort of trade where you are on the go in the field constantly. Even then, for what some of the larger Leatherman's weigh and cost, you could put together a small tool kit for less cost and maybe even less weight. Some of the Leatherman tool selection is redundant with too many screw driver bits and add on bits for a driver that you may need once in a lifetime. Somehow I reached senior citizen stage without any multitool other than a standard SAK or a few items in my wallet. I do love the little micra, and I have become very used to having the squirt around. But beyond that, it starts getting silly very quickly.

Most tradesmen I knew, who do go into the field very often, have a small tool kit on a belt pouch that has real tools in it. Real pair of small channel locks or vise grips, real screw drivers. I've yet to see any Leatherman that can compete with the real tools for the function.

Small pocket size multitools are a good thing. If they can't be dropped into a pocket and hardly be noticed, they get awkward to have along very fast. Over the years, Leatherman has grown to big, too heavy, and too expensive for what they are. But I'm sure Tim Leatherman lives well from the sales.

Edit to add; I can't remember the last time I had to deal with a flat screw. To include multiples on a tool is now questionable.

Last edited:
I carry a sog PowerPlier every day, there is not one day of the week it is not on my belt. I use it all the time and am so used to having it when needed, I don't even think about grabbing it, my hand just naturally goes for it when I see something that needs fixing.

Before the sog I carried a leatherman wave until it was stolen, and before that it was a leatherman blast.
I like the sog because of the gears that increase leverage, very strong grip with these pliers. I managed to break the plier head while working on a tank, sog sent me replacement for free within a week.

So, it's been a year now, and the thread is still coming up. I've thought over the question and I think I still feel the same as I did let year. I think som eking of small multitool is a good thing to have around, but don't let it get ridiculous. Dealing with an occasional screw, or bottle cap, is one thing, but how many of us really need to have a complete tool kit on our belt?

I have to hand it to Tim Leatherman, he did a great job of creating a market for a product that is a answer to an unasked question. Some of the Leatherman's I see are just overkill unless you are in some sort of trade where you are on the go in the field constantly. Even then, for what some of the larger Leatherman's weigh and cost, you could put together a small tool kit for less cost and maybe even less weight. Some of the Leatherman tool selection is redundant with too many screw driver bits and add on bits for a driver that you may need once in a lifetime. Somehow I reached senior citizen stage without any multitool other than a standard SAK or a few items in my wallet. I do love the little micra, and I have become very used to having the squirt around. But beyond that, it starts getting silly very quickly.

Most tradesmen I knew, who do go into the field very often, have a small tool kit on a belt pouch that has real tools in it. Real pair of small channel locks or vise grips, real screw drivers. I've yet to see any Leatherman that can compete with the real tools for the function.

Small pocket size multitools are a good thing. If they can't be dropped into a pocket and hardly be noticed, they get awkward to have along very fast. Over the years, Leatherman has grown to big, too heavy, and too expensive for what they are. But I'm sure Tim Leatherman lives well from the sales.

Edit to add; I can't remember the last time I had to deal with a flat screw. To include multiples on a tool is now questionable.

Good post. I don't agree with all points, but overall, your comments are well considered. As it happens, I deal with multiple slotted screws repeatedly in my old house with fixtures of the same age, and somehow run into them occasionally elsewhere. Not 2 hours ago I tightened one down on an ancient doorknob. Locktite doesn't want to work on
it, nor the others in the house, so whenever I notice a wobble, they get a twist. Also, the larger flatheads get plenty of action as handy prybars.

My Leatherman Wave, JuiceCS4 and Victorinox Swiss Champ are very important parts of my edc.I always carry any one of these every day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have 3 multitools left from my affinity for them back in the day. One in my car. One in the kitchen and another in the garage. Have not used them in years.

Good post. I don't agree with all points, but overall, your comments are well considered. As it happens, I deal with multiple slotted screws repeatedly in my old house with fixtures of the same age, and somehow run into them occasionally elsewhere. Not 2 hours ago I tightened one down on an ancient doorknob. Locktite doesn't want to work on
it, nor the others in the house, so whenever I notice a wobble, they get a twist. Also, the larger flatheads get plenty of action as handy prybars.

If a MT is big, bulky and awkward, a SAK is your best bet...even the smaller ones pack a lot of utility, weigh nothing and can be carried anywhere

CAM03936_zps0u1jfqu4.jpg

For prying and simple flat/phillips I recommend something without pivots and mobile parts, like a OPT or pocket prybar...

CAM02357_zpsfcte3csm.jpg

Also weigh nothing and occupy not much space, and they are inexpensive in most cases

CAM02342_zps3r40wapv.jpg

Tools are still relevant and I think multitools are still relevant too.

I regularly see people carrying and using them. They're not carried on belts anymore, like in the days when Leathermans became popular here in Europe too. Most of the time when I see someone using a multitool, it is one of those keychain models or the traditional SAK.

In daily life, I carry a small multitool in my pocket. The Victorinox Soldier or Pioneer are two of my favourites for many years. There's also always a plier based multitool in my laptop bag and in my car.

When hiking and camping, I like to carry my SwissTool Spirit on my belt.

Never have been much of a multi-tool person. Prefer real tools, but I do keep an original Leatherman in my pack, just in case. That said, I am never without a 91 or 93 mm SAK.

I was a multi-tool guy before I became a knife guy.

L to R: I got this Super Tool in 1996, carried it almost exclusively (SAKs don't count;)) for the next 9 years, now retired. It was backed up with the Micra for scissors and more uses than I could have known when I got it. It is still in regular use. Then came the PST, got mostly because a great price, but also because it was a lighter weight alternative and something I could carry in a non-locking knife location, like on a trip to England once. Both got semi-retired when the Charge TTi caught my attention and I lucked into one at a killer price. It remains my go-to multi-tool to this day. But then I decided that it might be a not bad idea to have a heavier duty tool in reserve, and the updates to the original Super Tool were worthwhile enough that I got the ST300 to replace it. That's the one I relied on several times during major storm damage repair duties in my area. The Rebar was next because it was really the PST I would have preferred back in the day. It was a lightweight alternative to the TTi and ST300. I don't use it as much as I would have thought, but I keep thinking that some day it will be just the one I need. The Squirt P4 was my "keychain" tool for a while because of the tiny pliers, but since having taken this photo, I've replaced it with a Juice S2. MUCH better, and still fits into my 5th pocket. At some point in this trip, knives became an interest, but that's a tale for another day.

Back