My answer to the E2DL, Fenix steps it up!

Thats a pretty sweet light you have there. Looks like it's a little longer then my Pelican M3 and a lot brighter (found a recent review on CPF). Me likey!

Heber

Both of them sell pretty well for me, but the big differentiator for the TA30 is the selector ring. It's a pretty cool feature that Fenix executed very well. The TA30 definitely is a bit larger than the M20, although it has the additional battery life that you get from the additional batteries. Not that big of a deal to me since I just take extra batteries, but a lot of my customers seem to appreciate the extra runtime you can get on a single set.

Yeah the selector ring looks very user friendly. Wait.. the ta30 has more runtime?

I took a look at the TA30 and decided it was too big for EDC, and not powerful enough for a bag light.

Fenix do have the TA21 due to be released very shortly. Similar to the TA30, but smaller as runs on 2 CR123A.

Yeah the selector ring looks very user friendly. Wait.. the ta30 has more runtime?

Well, it uses 3 x CR123 batteries, so you get the extra life that the extra cell gives you.

Jetbeam has the Raptor light that is similar to the TA30 and they also have two new Raptor styles in the works. I'll have them in stock if Jetbeam ever decides to make enough to meet demand.

I took a look at the TA30 and decided it was too big for EDC, and not powerful enough for a bag light.
This gave me a quite a shudder... It's >200 out-the-front lumens in a very substantially-sized lens. What do you carry in your bag that's "powerful enough"? A WWII AA searchlight?

This gave me a quite a shudder... It's >200 out-the-front lumens in a very substantially-sized lens. What do you carry in your bag that's "powerful enough"? A WWII AA searchlight?

LOL. I normally EDC an Olight T25 Tactical or Eagletac P10A2. These are close to the brightness of the TA30. For a bag light, I would want more power than my EDC. I am tempted by the Fenix TK40 or Eagletac M2 series.

LOL. I normally EDC an Olight T25 Tactical or Eagletac P10A2. These are close to the brightness of the TA30. For a bag light, I would want more power than my EDC. I am tempted by the Fenix TK40 or Eagletac M2 series.

Take a look at the Olight M30 Triton then. It's about the same size as the TA30 and puts out 700 lumens. I have been very impressed by it so far.

I've heard the crown on the bezel of the TA30's a little sharp and actually wore away at duty shirts when kept in a bezel up belt holster. Have you had any problems with this?

I've heard the crown on the bezel of the TA30's a little sharp and actually wore away at duty shirts when kept in a bezel up belt holster. Have you had any problems with this?

I've heard the same thing and can definitely see that happening. LEOs that have holsters with covers over the top seem to avoid the issue.

which would you recommend for best viewing horses in pasture from about 100 - 150 yards away in pitch black darkness?
thanks
I would recommend something with a bigger lens and a narrower beam. 200 lumens can look very different depending on how it's projected.

There's a number of offerings out there, but I fail to remember the names - you're better off asking at CPF, unless someone can help me out.

I love the Fenix lights and have many of them, but the TA30 does not do it for me because you can get just as many lumens in other Fenix lights in a smaller package, and for less money, but at the expense of less runtime.

I love the Fenix lights and have many of them, but the TA30 does not do it for me because you can get just as many lumens in other Fenix lights in a smaller package, and for less money, but at the expense of less runtime.

It is a bit long using three 123A's... The selector ring is pretty nice tho!

which would you recommend for best viewing horses in pasture from about 100 - 150 yards away in pitch black darkness?
thanks

You want something with a big reflector that can effectively capture and throw the light as far as possible. If you go with the CREE MC-E LEDs, you will get a lot of light in the hotspot (bright part at the center of the beam) and in the spill (area around the hotspot). If you go with a CREE XR-E LED, then you will have a very focused beam with a small hotspot. Either one will work, it just depends on how much light you want.

My three MC-E options are:

Olight M30 Triton

Fenix TK40

Jetbeam M1X

Of those three, the Jetbeam M1X is the brightest and should throw the beam the furthest, but any of them should be able to handle 150 yard in complete darkness. I'll have the Eagletac models in a week or so when they get them back in stock.

Back