My Antique Kukri has arrived...

Last edited:
The full documentary, (about an hour long), of the Royal Nepalese Armory contents aquisition, is available to watch online. I have seen it 3 times in the past week, and I find it all AMAZING and FASCINATING :)

I had to chuckle when I saw Mr. Cranmer use one of the Kukri knives to help him dig out some musket balls. Why the chuckle?... Well, all those guns in that old building, but the only things that one could just pick up and still use at that exact moment as a tool for which they were designed for, were the edged weapons. There Mr. Cranmer was, using this old knife to dig out some dirt; but it could have just as easily been used for chopping a coconut into two pieces. None of the guns were in any condition to just be picked up, loaded, and fired. But those edged weapons were still ready to pick up where they had left off decades earlier :)

The documentary really shows the passion that Mr. Cranmer had for the items he was finding in there. I mean, sure, he's in the antique business, and there was profit to be made on the cache of antiques he had purchased ... But, his giddiness was obviously not fake, he truly was fascinated with the things he was finding. Very cool documentary, and I'm glad he had the filming done so that we could all get some sense of it all :)

Last edited:
Talking with a friend of mine that is into collecting knives, he recommended that I polish up the Kukri, which is definitely NOT going to happen :)
Anyhow, he strictly owns modern knives, not owning anything over maybe 20 years old. So, I can see why he thinks my old Kukri knife may look a bit ugly, (in his eyes).

I do wonder how many of these old Kukri knives will be going through what most antique collectors would consider as too much cleaning, or even full blown modification.

My friend and I spoke about cleaning such old things, and I again stressed that my Kukri only needed to have it's old grease removed, and that it entailed no abrasives or tools of any sort whatsoever.
Further into the conversation, he wondered when or if I would ever consider using abrasives or tools on an old knife. I had to think about that for a moment. Then my response, (right or wrong), was given. I told him yes, but only under certain circumstances.
If an old blade, (or any blade), had active red rust, then I know that it continues to be hurting the steel, and I would want it stopped. Even so, I would only go as far as needed to achieve this, not go full blown "let's go bling bling on it" mode.
We talked about the old pits and gray look of the Kukri I have, and I told him they looked great in my eyes. Also, the knife kept clean, lightly oiled, and in stable air quality, it would remain in it's current condition indefinitely.

It's amazing how I too, when I was a younger man, would have looked at this Kukri and thought to myself... "I can restore this thing to look almost new".
I am so glad my brain has evolved into not thinking like that now, or I would have destroyed the totally awesome appearance of this item by listening to my friend's advice to break out with the sandpaper, polishing compounds, and buffing wheels on an electric tool.

Again, I know that the purchase of the Royal Nepalese Armoury contents in 2003 was an act that likely saved those items from full decay. And, that the armory was actually destroyed somewhat recently by that terrible earthquake they had in Nepal. But, with that said, I also do wonder how many of these items will be treated as fodder to just play around with. As items purchased for major invasive cleaning or full blown restorations.
So, while many of these Kukri knives will remain as rescued items from an old armory that was no longer the safe haven for them that it may have once been... I do wonder how many have/will wind up in the hands of folks that think like my friend, or think the way I myself used to think, and "clean them" or "modify them" to the point of destroying their antique condition.

Please don't get me wrong... I believe when you buy an item, it's yours to do, or not do, as you please with it.
But, that said, I also see it a shame, (imo), to see an item that holds such historic teachings, be tampered with too much for reasons of posterity.
I am hoping that maybe folks stumbling onto this thread that wind up buying one of these Kukri knives, maybe thinks twice about "restoring" their aquisition :)

Last edited:
I have previously watched blade videos put up by this gentleman, and he not only seems like a very knowledgeable person on edged weapons, (especially on swords), but also seems like a genuinely good guy, (the kind of guy you wouldn't mind going out to a local tavern with to have a few drinks and have some good conversation). Anyhow, I just watched this one he has pertaining to Kukri knives, and felt I should share it here for those that may have an interest on the subject :)

I know the man. Your assessments are correct :D

Well, while out and about today, I went to a big box store and made prints of the pics taken of the Kukri.
As shown early on during this posting of my aquisition, I took pics of it when it came....
*Pics in the bag it came in
*Pics of it out of that bag
*Pics after an initial dry cloth wiping off of loose old grease
*And pics after the final wipe down with a clean cloth and degreasing solvent to remove the dried hardened grease.

I did this for my own collecting purposes, but also for posterity. Along with the original receipt from Atlanta Cutlery, it could all help someone in the future establish/prove it's pedigree (provenance).

Anyhow, like I had mentioned earlier, a certificate of authenticity for each one sold would have been nice, but my idea simply goes about it in a different way :)

Last edited:
Alright so mine showed up on Thursday. Here's a few pictures of before and after in keeping with the thread:

Mine seems like it might have a bit more belly than the one posted previously I'm wondering if I got a Bhojpur instead of a longleaf? Anyone have any way to say for sure? Also does anyone know where I might get the script on the spine translated?

I will say that this thing is in very good condition for being as old as it purportedly is. The handle had a few chips and there is some pitting on the blade but I've seen far worse on much newer items. One thing that I hadn't noticed previously is that oddly the handle has no metal butt plate. It appears that this is common?

upload_2018-9-24_0-0-16.png

upload_2018-9-24_0-0-33.png

upload_2018-9-24_0-0-52.png

upload_2018-9-24_0-1-9.png

upload_2018-9-24_0-1-24.png

Hmm on edit I see that the first Khukri in this thread is in fact a Bohjpure so perhaps that explains the difference between the two. I need to take some measurements of this tomorrow...

Nice specimen you got there! :)

And, yes sir, the one I purchased and posted about in this thread is a Bhojpure Kukri.

After making that purchase, I then ordered a Longleaf Kukri blade, (sans the handle), so that I could mount it into a separate display case. Here is a picture of that one...

33c7lgg.jpg

And the writing on it's spine, which I too have no clue on what it reads...

2wqv815.jpg

And here it's cho cut out, which has a distinct shape...

1zc2s7n.jpg

As you can see in the photo of my Longleaf Kukri blade, the tang is not long enough to go all the way through a handle. This is the method traditionally used on the Kukri knives. In other words, a concealed partial tang is traditionally used, one which is secured in place using a native natural tree glue called laha.
Full girth tangs (where scales and tang are all pinned or riveted together), and the concealed all the way through tangs (which are peened over a metal cap at their end), are both more modern methods for handle attachment on Kukri knives.
One of the reasons I purchased this Longleaf "blade only", is to use it as a cool display showing the answer to the exact question you asked. When someone comes over to my place, and if some Kukri discussion occurs, I can show the Kukri "blade only" to explain the tang method used on traditionally made Kukri knives.
It's wall art, it's educational, and it's an antique :)

All the Longleafs and Bhojpure Kukris being truly hand made, means there will certainly be all sorts of deviations in their weights and final shaping. Imo, very cool stuff! :)
Again, sir, nice one you got there... Congrats! :)

Last edited:

And, yes sir, the one I purchased and posted about in this thread is a Bhojpure Kukri.

After making that purchase, I then ordered a Longleaf Kukri blade, (sans the handle), so that I could mount it into a separate display case. Here is a picture of that one...

33c7lgg.jpg

2wqv815.jpg

1zc2s7n.jpg

As you can see in the photo of my Longleaf Kukri blade, the tang is not long enough to go all the way through a handle. This is the method traditionally used on the Kukri knives. In other words, a concealed partial tang is traditionally used, one which is secured in place using a native natural tree glue called laha.
Full girth tangs (where scales and tang are all pinned or riveted together), and the concealed all the way through tangs (which are peened over a metal cap at their end), are both more modern methods for handle attachment on Kukri knives.
One of the reasons I purchased this Longleaf "blade only", is to use it as a cool display showing the answer to the exact question you asked. When someone comes over to my place, and if some Kukri discussion occurs, I can show the Kukri "blade only" to explain the tang method used on traditionally made Kukri knives.

All the Longleafs and Bhojpure Kukris being truly hand made, means there will certainly be all sorts of deviations in their weights and final shaping. Imo, very cool stuff! :)
Maybe posting the pic of the spine inscription in the Himalayan Imports sub-forum could get you a translation?

33c7lgg.jpg

2wqv815.jpg

1zc2s7n.jpg

Thanks Jimmy,

It's all your fault your previous posts were very inspirational! Your long leaf blade does in fact look much like the one I have. I ordered the version from Atlanta cutlery that came with the reproduction scabbard and the karda knives. I didn't really want the scabbard (it is pretty mediocre at best I have built far better versions). but was hoping to get antique karda. Unfortunately I suspect I should have saved my money because the karda are in such good condition that I think they are also reproductions.

However now like yourself I have already ordered another, this on is a Khukri only from ima. I thought about getting the blade only option, I really like the display you put together.

Thanks Jimmy,

It's all your fault your previous posts were very inspirational! Your long leaf blade does in fact look much like the one I have. I ordered the version from Atlanta cutlery that came with the reproduction scabbard and the karda knives. I didn't really want the scabbard (it is pretty mediocre at best I have built far better versions). but was hoping to get antique karda. Unfortunately I suspect I should have saved my money because the karda are in such good condition that I think they are also reproductions.

However now like yourself I have already ordered another, this on is a Khukri only from ima. I thought about getting the blade only option, I really like the display you put together.

Thank YOU, Sir! :)

Well, my having purchased the antique Gurkha "Bojpure" kukri, and then the antique Gurkha "Longleaf" kukri (blade only) from Atlanta Cutlery, I'm better able to understand the differences between the two models. Of course my findings are only based on the two specimens I now own, so it's not all written in stone.
The Bojpure blade is certainly shorter than the Longleaf, although not by a whole lot, because both definitely have some length to them. But, when you look down at their spines and compare them... Wow, the Longleaf is quite the thicker beast!
I would imagine that the Longleaf would do more damage to whatever one was whacking at with it, it simply being more of a brute. It would likely be the better choice of the two for chores where one wanted the most effect for each swing.
On the other hand, the lighter blade on the Bhojpure would seem to make it the better choice of the two for the weapon side of things, likely being faster and more controllable in hand, (while still being no slouch in weight or size).
In any case, the pictures one sees online does not really explain the differences much, only when comparing the two in hand can one see that they are actuallly pretty different (or at least based on the comparison of these two kukri blades I personally have).
I thought the Bhojpure was a beast when I received it, but after receiving the "blade only" of a Longleaf kukri, I now totally believe that the Longleaf is the true beast of the two :)

Last edited:
Thanks Jimmy,

Hey, buddy, I hope you don't mind my asking you some questions on your IMA kukri order.
Which model did you order from them (another Longleaf, or the Bhojpure?). Also, when you get it, would you let me know how it compares to what you got from Atlanta Cutlery, and if the condition/packing is similar.
And, if it's a Longleaf, does it too have the Nepalese writing on the spine? I know the Bhojpure is usually found with no such markings, but the IMA website states that their remaining Longleafs have no markings either.
Thanks in advance! :)

Hey Jimmy,

I will be more than happy to let you know all the details when it shows up. Stupid tracker said it was supposed to be here today but no such luck. Maybe tomorrow...

Back