My knife was confiscated at the "Happiest Place On Earth"

Hello all.

I took the family to Disneyland yesterday and forgot that I had a small (2 inch blade) old Gerber lock-back folder in the coin pocket of my jeans from working the previous day. Security at Disneyland now does random line pulls and makes you walk through a metal detector. They gave me the option of taking the knife back to my car or "disposing" of it. I chose to trash it because the walk and tram ride to the car would be another long delay and it was a cheap work knife.

Heads up to anyone heading to Disneyland. They greatly increased the security after the Paris incident and are doing very frequent line pulls and detector walk throughs. Don't bring your pricey folders with you.

Sucks. Guess I won't be going to Disneyland anytime soon. I won't give my business to any establishment going along with the media circus & culture of fear.

We went to the world version of the franchise over the summer. My Daughter had a blast. Now granted, this was pre-Paris and San Bernardino, but I walked around for 4 days with a Kershaw tremor and Juice Cs4 on me. That is at least 2 Security gates a day for 4 days I chose the Tremor specifically in case I had to ditch it. Not one issue and nor did I see anyone getting randomly taken for body searches. Also, things are much different in Florida than So Cal, much much different. They honor my Pa CCW down there and it actually gives me more rights than it does in my home state. Of course I did not carry the firearm in the park but if you have ever been to Orlando you know that I was carrying everywhere else.

SZTSc4sh.jpg

Good information. I would prefer they allow you to leave or check it in with security and pick it back up on exit; that is how the Stratosphere in Vegas does it - they keep the knife for you until you return. (Of course order a steak and you get a 4.5" fixed blade delivered to you at your table.... ha )

I had just gotten my new ZTO600 - a big honkin' knife, and I was going to a major golf tournament to which I had been several times prior with no issues.

The venue is of course a golf course, and the parking and walk to the main gate is significant.

This particular time was the first time they decided to use wand-type metal detectors. Go figure.

Thinking quickly, I grabbed a tournament program, and rolled it up with my ZT inside, then held it up above my head as the person at the gate "wanded" me - which she started at my head and went to my knees - missing the knife altogether.

I put the knife back in my pocket and proceeded to have a pleasant day with no problems.

best

mqqn

I once went to the Great America amusement park in Ill. a few years ago. I had a safety pin in my pocket that was about an inch long. They confiscated it. At first I thought the guy was kidding me. Guess he figured I could inflict a lot of damage with that massive weapon.

Went to the Masters tournament a couple of years ago. They wouldn't let me take my Leatherman Style PS keychain tool (the one with scissors and no knife - chosen specifically to be airline approved) through security. I've been enough times to know better than to argue about it. I had to check it and pick it up on the way out. Their place, their prerogative.

Sucks. Guess I won't be going to Disneyland anytime soon. I won't give my business to any establishment going along with the media circus & culture of fear.

Their property, their rules, and the're covering their collective ass from the the litigious society that we live in.
Heaven forbid some a-hole goes to their park and injures someone. Guess who'll get sued for the largest amount? And win.

That said, it sucks that they have to do it, but they are smart to. And if that keeps you from going there, you must be boycotting a heckuva lot of places these days...

Good information. I would prefer they allow you to leave or check it in with security and pick it back up on exit; that is how the Stratosphere in Vegas does it - they keep the knife for you until you return. (Of course order a steak and you get a 4.5" fixed blade delivered to you at your table.... ha )

I had just gotten my new ZTO600 - a big honkin' knife, and I was going to a major golf tournament to which I had been several times prior with no issues.

The venue is of course a golf course, and the parking and walk to the main gate is significant.

This particular time was the first time they decided to use wand-type metal detectors. Go figure.

Thinking quickly, I grabbed a tournament program, and rolled it up with my ZT inside, then held it up above my head as the person at the gate "wanded" me - which she started at my head and went to my knees - missing the knife altogether.

I put the knife back in my pocket and proceeded to have a pleasant day with no problems.

best

mqqn
:pI did the same thing at a hockey game. Only I was carrying a SAK Bantam. I was able to hide it in my hand.

ooohhhhh... you sneeeeeeky.

best

SLICK! Thats some quick thinking right there.

I just went in December and they wasn't doing any of that. Carried my buck 301 the whole time.

I read online and found, of course, people questioning others who asked about the need for a weapon *sic* in the park. I was there for 15 minutess (literally) and needed one to open a stupid pack of suckers with plastic tape on them.

Their property, their rules, and the're covering their collective ass from the the litigious society that we live in.
Heaven forbid some a-hole goes to their park and injures someone. Guess who'll get sued for the largest amount? And win.

That said, it sucks that they have to do it, but they are smart to. And if that keeps you from going there, you must be boycotting a heckuva lot of places these days...

They have every right to manage their business as they please. I have every right to vote with my wallet.

I just went in December and they wasn't doing any of that. Carried my buck 301 the whole time.

I read online and found, of course, people questioning others who asked about the need for a weapon *sic* in the park. I was there for 15 minutess (literally) and needed one to open a stupid pack of suckers with plastic tape on them.

We were there a few weeks ago as well (we are annual pass holders) and didn't see any of this. These are part of the new "security upgrades" implemented after the Paris attacks.

press release:

http://abc7.com/news/security-tightened-at-disneyland-disney-california-adventure/1126576/

"Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have installed metal detectors at park entrances, added extra police patrols, discontinued the sale of toy guns and banned people 14 years and older from wearing costumes or masks due to security concerns.

Visitors will be randomly selected to go through portable metal detectors after having their bags searched at park entrances."

I went to Disney in Florida the week before Christmas and they announced that week they were going to start checking all bags and at random pull people to walk through metal detectors. I went to all the parks an got pulled out for one metal detector search. I don't agree with it but if they did find something on a person they were fine with an didn't make a big fuss or anything just gave you the 2 options an on your way. All though again I don't agree with it at all. I did here people saying the same things why do you need a weapon in Disney? I don't plan on having a fire at my house but I still want smoke detectors an a fire extinguisher just in case.

Mike

Good to know. I had a similar experience at the baseball park last year- they freaked out about a spyderco ladybug and I was given the same choices as you were:( I took it back to my car since I was parked close but it was irritating!

We were there a few weeks ago as well (we are annual pass holders) and didn't see any of this. These are part of the new "security upgrades" implemented after the Paris attacks.

press release:

http://abc7.com/news/security-tightened-at-disneyland-disney-california-adventure/1126576/

"Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have installed metal detectors at park entrances, added extra police patrols, discontinued the sale of toy guns and banned people 14 years and older from wearing costumes or masks due to security concerns.

Visitors will be randomly selected to go through portable metal detectors after having their bags searched at park entrances."

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

I have lost 3 SAK 1" keychains to court metal detectors, that's why I no longer have or carry any! I used to forget it was on my keychain! That never happens with my Leatherman Wave.
But security failed to notice that when I put my keys, wallet, watch and pen in conveniently provided plastic box, that pen contained inside 2" blade! It's a pen knife!
All that show of security is to put at ease average naive ignorant people.

For bad guys if there is a will, there is always a way!

Out of curiosity did security confiscate glass soda pop bottles or aluminum pepsi cans, plastic combs, wooden chopsticks, metal frame eyeglasses, etc?
Did they replace glass windows with shatterproof plastics?
Are any of you still feel safe going to that happy place un-armed and defenseless?!?!

PS personally I try to avoid going to places that have metal detectors or businesses that have overly aggressive unfriendly to my rights security.
As a matter of fact I do boycott any business that is anti-guns/knives and tell everyone else who will listen to do same!
I plan accordingly and bring sharp non-metallic made of wood or plastic stakes or chopsticks still in their restaurant paper wrap.
"Why do I carry chopsticks, officer? Because I ate Chinese earlier! It was Ok, but not great we have better back home!"

PPS You spend hundreds of dollars on tickets snacks gifts, hours in line waiting for rides and NOW they confiscate you legal knives. The hell with them who needs them!

PPPS Real True Happiest Place on Earth is a Gun & Knife Super Store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have every right to manage their business as they please. I have every right to vote with my wallet.
That's exactly the way I feel also. I went there years ago with my kids (they hated it, one and done), the security guards tried to take our fingerprints, and I refused. Had I known they were going to do that, I would not have gone. I found out that if you hold up the line long enough by refusing, they eventually capitulate. :D

Back