My knife was confiscated at the "Happiest Place On Earth"

I had to take a SAK Classic off of my key-chain YEARS ago at a hockey game at the Pond.

I never understood why someone would carry anything more than a SAK into a church, a day care, etc. Many times I will use discretion and drop a folder into the glove box before entering some buildings etc. I would think this to be common sense. But to each their own.
We have seen mass shootings at churches and day cares. If more armed people were there, maybe the loss of innocent life would not have been as great. I am sure that the perpetrators rely on the the fact that they will not face any resistance greater than a SAK.

Weird, I live in Canada, carry ALL the time... and the only place I have ever had to check my knives is at the Parliament buildings...And on international plane flights.

Not been on any domestic flights lately I assume?

I carry everywhere though too except where there is security looking for this type of thing. Basically everywhere but hockey games and the airport (unless of course I'm just on pick up duty)

I never understood why someone would carry anything more than a SAK into a church, a day care, etc. Many times I will use discretion and drop a folder into the glove box before entering some buildings etc. I would think this to be common sense. But to each their own.

If common sense means to disarm yourself, in an era of shootings in churches, religious violence, kids bringing guns to schools, etc. I am happy to be without any.

Something you have to think about these days. Leave all your sharp objects in the vehicle. I might have just hidden it near the gate somewhere

I watched a guy do that at Disneyland. He didn't get more than 30' away when someone approached him and took him back to the planter where he ditched it. I'm unsure of what happened after that. He may have been able to toss it in the trash, or maybe he had to take it to his car, but I don't know.

Happened to me once at a museum, I went outside where no one was looking and clipped it into the center of a bush, luckily it was still there when I got out.

Muphasta brings up something interesting (post #67)

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney parks and other such places have surveillance cameras watching everything, including the parking lot. I can imagine a bunch of security guards sitting in a room watching a wall of tv screens and zooming in on anything they find suspicious. Between crime, liability issues, and terrorism, it certainly makes sense that a big-name, multi-billion dollar company would invest in such security measures. So if you step out of line and go over to a bush/planter/etc to stash a knife, there might be a security guard watching you on camera.

It also wouldn't surprise me if security guards are taught to look suspiciously on people who get into line, then step out of line and walk over somewhere else, then step back into line. Such activity sounds like a person trying to hide something that they don't want security to find (weapon, drugs).

And it also wouldn't surprise me if a security guard were instructed to investigate and check that bush/planter/etc to see what was stashed there.

Something to consider before you think of just stashing your knife in a random place.

I can't remember if it was a plain clothes person, a uniformed security person, or a Disney uniformed person, but I believe they have all 3 (at a minimum) type of people watching the crowds in addition to the cameras.

We have seen mass shootings at churches and day cares. If more armed people were there, maybe the loss of innocent life would not have been as great. I am sure that the perpetrators rely on the the fact that they will not face any resistance greater than a SAK.

This. I'd rather have my ZT 0560 than a SAK if it came down to me having to try to disable a shooter.

You could always make up for the lost knife by "collecting the pair of ray bans you lost earlier that day" from the lost and found. :)

Muphasta brings up something interesting (post #67)

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney parks and other such places have surveillance cameras watching everything, including the parking lot. I can imagine a bunch of security guards sitting in a room watching a wall of tv screens and zooming in on anything they find suspicious. Between crime, liability issues, and terrorism, it certainly makes sense that a big-name, multi-billion dollar company would invest in such security measures. So if you step out of line and go over to a bush/planter/etc to stash a knife, there might be a security guard watching you on camera.

It also wouldn't surprise me if security guards are taught to look suspiciously on people who get into line, then step out of line and walk over somewhere else, then step back into line. Such activity sounds like a person trying to hide something that they don't want security to find (weapon, drugs).

And it also wouldn't surprise me if a security guard were instructed to investigate and check that bush/planter/etc to see what was stashed there.

Something to consider before you think of just stashing your knife in a random place.

I would also add that it's possible that some child, or an irresponsible (or diabolical) punk not associated with the park could also find your knife if you try to stash it. Then you've just helped arm someone who should not be.

Jim

Had to trash a spyderco native 3 going to a hockey game at the staples center because I parked like a mile away and didn't want to have to go all the way back to the car and come back missing part of the game. Biggest mistake. I'll never go there again. I refuse to go anywhere I can not bring a knife anymore.

Their property, their rules, and the're covering their collective ass from the the litigious society that we live in.
Heaven forbid some a-hole goes to their park and injures someone. Guess who'll get sued for the largest amount? And win.

That said, it sucks that they have to do it, but they are smart to. And if that keeps you from going there, you must be boycotting a heckuva lot of places these days...

I boycott any place that automatically assumes I am a criminal or that I have criminal intent. They have the right to make the rules; I have the right to spend my money elsewhere.

I boycott any place that automatically assumes I am a criminal or that I have criminal intent. They have the right to make the rules; I have the right to spend my money elsewhere.

This is the best post I have read here!! I agree!!!! John

This is the best post I have read here!! I agree!!!! John

I was a Walt Disney World cast member (what they call employees, since when you're at work you're "on stage") for three years back in the mid-seventies. No searches, no wanding, no metal detectors. It was truly the "happiest place on earth" back then.

I wouldn't give them a dime of my money now.

I was a Walt Disney World cast member (what they call employees, since when you're at work you're "on stage") for three years back in the mid-seventies. No searches, no wanding, no metal detectors. It was truly the "happiest place on earth" back then.

I wouldn't give them a dime of my money now.

I was there in 79.. Rode my Harley right up to the gate and parked it.. Had a big old BUCK hanging off my belt all day.. :D Aint been back since!!! John

Back