My LC200N Mule Rusted. How is that possible??

I didn't have any on the hardware, but it coudl be galvanic corrosion. I've isolated that as a factor this time. I clear coated the tang under the handle and holes with automotive clear coat. No contact with hardware or scales. Now we shall see. So far so good :)

Good test. Keep us posted.

I wonder if Halpern would make some ti hardware for you guys, this should eliminate galvanic effects, I believe?

Just out of curiosity, has anybody experimented with using alternative/non-metallic materials for pinning the scales (e.g. G-10 or Micarta pins sanded flush with the scales and epoxied in place)?

Just out of curiosity, has anybody experimented with using alternative/non-metallic materials for pinning the scales (e.g. G-10 or Micarta pins sanded flush with the scales and epoxied in place)?

Quite a few in the custom world. Not sire about production.

Fishing trip later in the Atlantic. I cut bait with it and the salt 2. Both were left in the deck with salt and fish all over them. Both look very good after a clean up. Carribean spent the day kayaking the intercoastal and wet most of the time. No real use other than cutting a bag of ice open but also pristine. I'm really loving this steel.

Has anyone looked at crevice corrosion as a possible cause. Rigging on boats suffers crevice corrosion in 316 stainless all the time. Google crevice corrosion on Wikipedia definitely worth a read.

Some makers use G10/micarta pins in addition to the epoxy. Might make it even sturdier if someone batons it into a stump or something ;)

The waterway has internal pins. The prototype they sent me spent months on the kayak exposed to hard use and harsh elements. I was definitely not gentle with it. It’s a tough knife and the handle construction is very solid.

The waterway has internal pins. The prototype they sent me spent months on the kayak exposed to hard use and harsh elements. I was definitely not gentle with it. It’s a tough knife and the handle construction is very solid.

That would would solve any issues that might arise from just gluing them on :) Cheers Lance

I knew a guy in Florida who built and raced a carbon fiber hulled trimaran. He told me the CF was electrically active and that his type 316 stainless screws into the hull rusted out very quickly due to galvanic corrosion, and he was constantly replacing them. I’m thinking that CF scales held on with bolts might cause the same problem. Lance’s Waterway prototype with hidden pins and bonded G-10 scales should be just as good WRT corrosion as a bare blade, and a lot better in the hand.

I knew a guy in Florida who built and raced a carbon fiber hulled trimaran. He told me the CF was electrically active and that his type 316 stainless screws into the hull rusted out very quickly due to galvanic corrosion, and he was constantly replacing them. I’m thinking that CF scales held on with bolts might cause the same problem. Lance’s Waterway prototype with hidden pins and bonded G-10 scales should be just as good WRT corrosion as a bare blade, and a lot better in the hand.

I don't think that it's quite the same thing here. The "electrically active" hull would be caused by water moving across its surface much of the time, giving it some kind of a static charge. While CF does conduct electricity (and G10 is an insulator), I don't think this would be quite the same with a pair of knife scales, unless the user was constantly rubbing them down, ala "My precious". ;)

I don't think that it's quite the same thing here. The "electrically active" hull would be caused by water moving across its surface much of the time, giving it some kind of a static charge. While CF does conduct electricity (and G10 is an insulator), I don't think this would be quite the same with a pair of knife scales, unless the user was constantly rubbing them down, ala "My precious". ;)
Perhaps I was not sufficiently precise in my wording. By “electrically active” I meant conductive and capable of being one half of a galvanic cell. My understanding of galvanic cells is that they require an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte in contact with both poles. Consider a stainless steel tang bolted to carbon fiber scales with a layer of salt water touching all of it. Wouldn’t this qualify as a galvanic cell?

Perhaps I was not sufficiently precise in my wording. By “electrically active” I meant conductive and capable of being one half of a galvanic cell. My understanding of galvanic cells is that they require an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte in contact with both poles. Consider a stainless steel tang bolted to carbon fiber scales with a layer of salt water touching all of it. Wouldn’t this qualify as a galvanic cell?

Ah, no, I didn't understand you that way. Yes, I suppose that could be a possibility. Would need to confirm the galvanic potential of the various materials.

Back