1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My LC200N Mule Rusted. How is that possible??

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by neffarious, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Good test. Keep us posted.

2. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    I wonder if Halpern would make some ti hardware for you guys, this should eliminate galvanic effects, I believe?

3. neffarious

neffarious

Jun 23, 2012
    I asked, no response.

uxo2 and mattmanyam like this.
  4. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013

You would think that with a name Halpern Titanium they would.

Deinos likes this.
  5. PeterS84

PeterS84 Sharpening addict, collector of "super steels" Gold Member

May 9, 2018
    Just out of curiosity, has anybody experimented with using alternative/non-metallic materials for pinning the scales (e.g. G-10 or Micarta pins sanded flush with the scales and epoxied in place)?

Minnesota Man likes this.
  6. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    Quite a few in the custom world. Not sire about production.

PeterS84 likes this.
  7. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    On Lance's new fixed blades, we're using glue. to fasten the G-10 scales to the blade.

sal

uxo2 and Deinos like this.
  8. neffarious

neffarious

Jun 23, 2012
    Fishing trip later in the Atlantic. I cut bait with it and the salt 2. Both were left in the deck with salt and fish all over them. Both look very good after a clean up. Carribean spent the day kayaking the intercoastal and wet most of the time. No real use other than cutting a bag of ice open but also pristine. I'm really loving this steel.

9. sailhand

sailhand

May 12, 2014
    Has anyone looked at crevice corrosion as a possible cause. Rigging on boats suffers crevice corrosion in 316 stainless all the time. Google crevice corrosion on Wikipedia definitely worth a read.

10. NoFair

NoFair

Jun 30, 2006
    Some makers use G10/micarta pins in addition to the epoxy. Might make it even sturdier if someone batons it into a stump or something ;)

kbirk2003 and Surfingringo like this.
  11. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    The waterway has internal pins. The prototype they sent me spent months on the kayak exposed to hard use and harsh elements. I was definitely not gentle with it. It’s a tough knife and the handle construction is very solid.

NoFair and lieferung like this.
  12. NoFair

NoFair

Jun 30, 2006
    That would would solve any issues that might arise from just gluing them on :) Cheers Lance

13. perchjerk

perchjerk Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2009
    Now if only they would just release the waterway!!! I.cant.wait!!!!

14. Bill1170

Bill1170 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I knew a guy in Florida who built and raced a carbon fiber hulled trimaran. He told me the CF was electrically active and that his type 316 stainless screws into the hull rusted out very quickly due to galvanic corrosion, and he was constantly replacing them. I’m thinking that CF scales held on with bolts might cause the same problem. Lance’s Waterway prototype with hidden pins and bonded G-10 scales should be just as good WRT corrosion as a bare blade, and a lot better in the hand.

uxo2 and PeteyTwoPointOne like this.
  15. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I don't think that it's quite the same thing here. The "electrically active" hull would be caused by water moving across its surface much of the time, giving it some kind of a static charge. While CF does conduct electricity (and G10 is an insulator), I don't think this would be quite the same with a pair of knife scales, unless the user was constantly rubbing them down, ala "My precious". ;)

16. Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    Perhaps I was not sufficiently precise in my wording. By “electrically active” I meant conductive and capable of being one half of a galvanic cell. My understanding of galvanic cells is that they require an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte in contact with both poles. Consider a stainless steel tang bolted to carbon fiber scales with a layer of salt water touching all of it. Wouldn’t this qualify as a galvanic cell?

17. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Ah, no, I didn't understand you that way. Yes, I suppose that could be a possibility. Would need to confirm the galvanic potential of the various materials.

18. Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
  19. TNelsonny

TNelsonny

Dec 3, 2018
    test

20. Wayne Tj

Wayne Tj

Jan 12, 2019
    What were Spyderco’s test results?