My Manix 2 Maxamet Just Snapped !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very disappointed. Just got this in the mail today. I’m out $200.00. Maxamet sucks.
Sorry to hear that. Yeah this is why i only buy standard production S30V spyderco. Ignore all the steel snobs, save some money and get S30V/BD1N models, they are going to be much better all around steel for anything beyond cutting tomato and paper boxes(not sure if it's considered abuse anymore in the current knife culture).

I wonder why they replace some and not others? I got a replacement, but immediately sold it.

I would imagine that "not a warranty issue" implies that there was something involved that they determined went beyond normal usage, or wear and tear. I don't presume to know what that might be as it would be speculation on my part.

The Spyderco letter does not say what caused the blade to snap. Does "is not a warranty issue" include factory defects that are not repairable or does it solely mean damages due to inappropriate use of the knife by the owner? I tend to believe (and also that paragraph in the letter reads this way) that Spyderco determined the cause of the damage is on the owner.

However, Option 1 seems to suggest the cause of the failure has not been determined because otherwise why bother to pass the damaged blade to R&D Dept for study (if Spyderco is to destroy it, then just say destroy it no need to mention R&D)? If that is the case, that means there is still a possibility that the cause could be factory defect(s), which would warranty a replacement of full refund. Also, this option is like for Spyderco to "buy" the damaged PM2 at ~10% of its retail price (45% MSRP vs. the current MAP). The OP can easily get that money maybe even more by selling the scales and liners.

Anyway, not a good response or handing by Spyderco IMHO.

The Spyderco letter does not say what caused the blade to snap. Does "is not a warranty issue" include factory defects that are not repairable or does it solely mean damages due to inappropriate use of the knife by the owner? I tend to believe (and also that paragraph in the letter reads this way) that Spyderco determined the cause of the damage is on the owner.

However, Option 1 seems to suggest the cause of the failure has not been determined because otherwise why bother to pass the damaged blade to R&D Dept for study (if Spyderco is to destroy it, then just say destroy it no need to mention R&D)? If that is the case, that means there is still a possibility that the cause could be factory defect(s), which would warranty a replacement of full refund. Also, this option is like for Spyderco to "buy" the damaged PM2 at ~10% of its retail price (45% MSRP vs. the current MAP). The OP can easily get that money maybe even more by selling the scales and liners.

Anyway, not a good response or handing by Spyderco IMHO.

I agree. The implication is that this is on the owner of the knife. Which would indicate, most likely, usage outside of the norm somehow.

If it was a factory defect, or the result of a poor heat treat, imho, that would clearly be Spyderco's responsibility as it is beyond the ability of the end user to correct.

However, indicating that the knife has not been examined by the R&D Department leads me to wonder how the determination was made that it's not a warranty issue.

In the end, were this my knife, this would be an unsatisfactory response and offer of resolution...assuming that the facts as presented by the OP are, in fact, the facts.

R&D or someone with technical services needs to evaluate this knife...and a proper answer needs to be provided as to what the issue with the knife derives from.

Very surprising response, and a poor showing by Spyderco. I don't know what their protocols are for something like this, but it would be nice if Spyderco could at least provide some basic information on how they evaluate a knife if/when it comes in for a potential warranty issue so folks would at least have a sense of what to expect. Pretty much everyone here thought this would easily be a warranty issue and we were all wrong. And again, this is assuming we got the full story from the OP, but I don't personally have any reason to doubt it at this point.

My gut feeling is that Maxamet is not going to be an option much longer in the future.

It is my understanding that it’s expensive to grind, and the performance is just too extreme for the average ELU.
Maybe so but that shouldn't leave customers on the short end of the stick to fork out more money in order to cover knives that break under normal use.

My replacement came with a similar letter. Didn’t exactly state what it was, that broke the blade, except for me exerting lateral force on it. I was using it in a similar fashion as any other knife that’s in my pocket for that day. I’m a big fan of Spyderco knives, probably 90% of my folders are Spydies, but Maxamet just left me with a bad knife experience. It failed, when I needed it to perform. No more Maxamet for me.

Wow. I've been quietly watching this in the background. I also thought Spyderco would respond differently. Customer service is everything these days, it is what sets the bar so differently among companies. So far I'm not impressed at all having had a lackluster experience with one of my own knives dealing with them on the phone, and now reading this. It's simple. My money will go somewhere else.

Funny story. I've purchased 4 Spydercos this month. Came to them because they have ZDP and I was concerned about another maker's warranty lol. Yeah, I might be slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back