1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

my new custom tomato slicing knife!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Lorien, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    not bad.

[​IMG]

2. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999

This ^^^ :)

3. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
  4. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    must be a trick o the light. Weekend's here, will be getting out into the wilds with the gruesome twosome...

5. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    All Wildertools by Rick Marchand bush blades are "triple-plunged" and sport a multifaceted "floating bevel". There are so many approach angles... one of 'em has to be right!

It looks that way... thankfully that's not the case. I think Lorien has the pics overexposed in some attempt to be artsy-fartsy... you know how that guy is.
    Check out the original thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    -----

7. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    Well... how'd it do?

9. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment

Jan 12, 2005
    That had to be an obscene amount of work. Woah...

10. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    way better than I expected! For this deadfall, I just cut the one stem with PIG, and for the other two I got out the big gun. That being said, I chose the biggest one for PIG. It's cherry fyi. Also did a ton of other hacking and chopping and the edge is only just shy of shaving sharp still. Very impressive.

The acute edge bevel and convex shoulder worked with the heft to make for a wood eating machine. Problem with khuks and dropped geometry is twisting on impact- it's difficult to keep the blade from deflecting laterally. With PIG, the blade aligns with the handle, which has an ovoid and hourglass shape which provides leverage that maximizes control and eliminates twisting and lateral deflection. However, cus the handle is flat on its sides, you get tons of power breaking out chips by twisting.

The only thing about this knife I would or might change is to hone the forward portion of the swedge in order to make a pointier point. Other than that, this knife exceeded expectations big time! Chopping timbers, slicing vines and woody stemmed shrubs, and everything else...PIG excels! It performs unlike any 'small' knife I've ever used. Actually, in aggregate, it outperforms some of the big knives I've used.

And Matt, dude I am toast! It was a big day in the forest and I got tons done. But I'm paying for it today:yawn::D

11. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    I am tossing around STeven's suggestion of a clip point. I imagine the knife would look more like a rhinoceros beetle than a pig.

12. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    Rick, I wouldn't change a thing, personally. The knife is unique looking and I'm sure people have their opinions on how it could 'look' better, but I wouldn't sacrifice the design parameters you've set for it just for the sake of visual appearance. Might as well design a different knife.

The deep belly is really functional, as is the reinforced tip. I'm pretty sure I can remove enough material to make the tip pointier without sacrificing strength, and the only reason I'd do that is for better penetration when throwing it, (I throw it upside down so the edge doesn't hit first) and the reality is that most people don't throw their knives so this would only benefit those of us who do:) Changing the shape of the blade, or engaging in aesthetic experiments with it will result in a completely different knife which is cool but don't expect it to be able to do everything this knife can do, as well as it does.

13. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Wow, that thing really is a hand axe!
    Thanks for the pix, Lorien.

14. A.l.e.x.

A.l.e.x.

Jan 1, 2013
    Hello!

Lorien, great, unique looking knife, and some SERIOUS chopping! Congrats on the first, hats-off for the last! :)

Best regards,
    Alex

15. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    Thanks for your positive comments :)

I touched er up with a fine ceramic and no problem getting the edge back after all the chopping. Keep in mind that this knife is not made for shaving- it's a little on the heavy side for that lol;

[video=youtube;Dfps5YkVI6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfps5YkVI6w&feature=youtu.be[/video]