my new custom tomato slicing knife!

The whole kit is just so damn creative it makes me sick. Pure awesomeness. Both of you two kick ass, but I don't want Rick to hear me say that, as his head is already way too inflated, so don't tell him I said so.

Not sure what I find most impressive - the bike-themed sheath, the edge on that fat bastard, or the packaging. It's all too cool.

Nice one, Rick.

This ^^^ :)

must be a trick o the light. Weekend's here, will be getting out into the wilds with the gruesome twosome...

Nice packaging consistent with the style and branding overall

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/Bladeworks2011/Marchand/P4101817_zpsdc7e9cd4.jpg

What's up with the plunge on the right side, looks like there are two or three plunge lines ?
All Wildertools by Rick Marchand bush blades are "triple-plunged" and sport a multifaceted "floating bevel". There are so many approach angles... one of 'em has to be right!

It looks that way... thankfully that's not the case. I think Lorien has the pics overexposed in some attempt to be artsy-fartsy... you know how that guy is.
Check out the original thread.

Last edited:
Well... how'd it do?

way better than I expected! For this deadfall, I just cut the one stem with PIG, and for the other two I got out the big gun. That being said, I chose the biggest one for PIG. It's cherry fyi. Also did a ton of other hacking and chopping and the edge is only just shy of shaving sharp still. Very impressive.

The acute edge bevel and convex shoulder worked with the heft to make for a wood eating machine. Problem with khuks and dropped geometry is twisting on impact- it's difficult to keep the blade from deflecting laterally. With PIG, the blade aligns with the handle, which has an ovoid and hourglass shape which provides leverage that maximizes control and eliminates twisting and lateral deflection. However, cus the handle is flat on its sides, you get tons of power breaking out chips by twisting.

The only thing about this knife I would or might change is to hone the forward portion of the swedge in order to make a pointier point. Other than that, this knife exceeded expectations big time! Chopping timbers, slicing vines and woody stemmed shrubs, and everything else...PIG excels! It performs unlike any 'small' knife I've ever used. Actually, in aggregate, it outperforms some of the big knives I've used.

And Matt, dude I am toast! It was a big day in the forest and I got tons done. But I'm paying for it today:yawn::D

The only thing about this knife I would or might change is to hone the forward portion of the swedge in order to make a pointier point.
I am tossing around STeven's suggestion of a clip point. I imagine the knife would look more like a rhinoceros beetle than a pig.

Rick, I wouldn't change a thing, personally. The knife is unique looking and I'm sure people have their opinions on how it could 'look' better, but I wouldn't sacrifice the design parameters you've set for it just for the sake of visual appearance. Might as well design a different knife.

The deep belly is really functional, as is the reinforced tip. I'm pretty sure I can remove enough material to make the tip pointier without sacrificing strength, and the only reason I'd do that is for better penetration when throwing it, (I throw it upside down so the edge doesn't hit first) and the reality is that most people don't throw their knives so this would only benefit those of us who do:) Changing the shape of the blade, or engaging in aesthetic experiments with it will result in a completely different knife which is cool but don't expect it to be able to do everything this knife can do, as well as it does.

Wow, that thing really is a hand axe!
Thanks for the pix, Lorien.

Hello!

Lorien, great, unique looking knife, and some SERIOUS chopping! Congrats on the first, hats-off for the last! :)

Best regards,
Alex

Thanks for your positive comments :)

I touched er up with a fine ceramic and no problem getting the edge back after all the chopping. Keep in mind that this knife is not made for shaving- it's a little on the heavy side for that lol;

[video=youtube;Dfps5YkVI6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfps5YkVI6w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back