My Spyderco Delica 4 FFG

Spyderco Folks,

This will constitute my first post in the Spyderco Forum--thanks in advance for having me in the room.

For the last 3-4 years I have almost exclusively carried CRK knives--my most carried, trusted, and cherished EDC is my CRK Small 21 Insingo--absolutely phenomenal knife. Recently, I decided to delve into the world of Spyderco and found myself admiring online the PM2, Delica 4, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Chaparral, etc. I decided that a Delica 4 is a must-have knife and ended up trading with a fellow forum member to acquire a Delica 4 in Blue FRN with a FFG VG-10 Blade.

I put my Sebenza in the EDC drawer and started carrying this beautiful Delica. I have used it for all of the standard EDC type tasks one comes across such as:

Slicing up the pizza box:

Slicing bananas and carrots as a treat for my Doberman:

And of course, opening the mail:

In the course of the last few days I have also used it to slice tape on boxes, cut paracord, open rock salt bags, and various other tasks. The design of this blade really matches up with the ergonomics of my hand and fits perfectly:

I don't know if it will replace my Sebenza, but I know that the two will fight for some pocket and usage time--however, in the end--they can certainly coexist as two fine knives made by two excellent and respected makers:

I carry a grey Delica FFG at work. I strayed and tried my new HK 14716 in D2. It only lasted one day until old faithful was back in my pocket. They are just awesome.

I'm with you. I EDC a small 21 a fair amount, but when my new gray Delica came in a couple months ago it got a solid 2 to 3 weeks in my pocket. Could never see myself without one and love that knife.

Spyderco Folks,

This will constitute my first post in the Spyderco Forum--thanks in advance for having me in the room.

For the last 3-4 years I have almost exclusively carried CRK knives--my most carried, trusted, and cherished EDC is my CRK Small 21 Insingo--absolutely phenomenal knife. Recently, I decided to delve into the world of Spyderco and found myself admiring online the PM2, Delica 4, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Chaparral, etc. I decided that a Delica 4 is a must-have knife and ended up trading with a fellow forum member to acquire a Delica 4 in Blue FRN with a FFG VG-10 Blade.

I put my Sebenza in the EDC drawer and started carrying this beautiful Delica. I have used it for all of the standard EDC type tasks one comes across such as:

Slicing up the pizza box:

Slicing bananas and carrots as a treat for my Doberman:

And of course, opening the mail:

In the course of the last few days I have also used it to slice tape on boxes, cut paracord, open rock salt bags, and various other tasks. The design of this blade really matches up with the ergonomics of my hand and fits perfectly:

I don't know if it will replace my Sebenza, but I know that the two will fight for some pocket and usage time--however, in the end--they can certainly coexist as two fine knives made by two excellent and respected makers:
I feel like we need a sticky called "I love my Delica". You stating how a $65 knife competes with a $400 knife for pocket time should really show the naysayers the excellence that Spyderco is producing. One suggestion I have is if you love the CRK's so much trying out a Sage 2. Ti frame lock just like the CRK but add the awesomeness of a Spydie hole, thumb ramp and finger choil. Welcome to the Spyderco addiction and I look forward to more discussion with you about a truly amazing knife company

That Delica looks fantastic in blue! I've got a green one in ZDP that has rapidly become my most-carried EDC blade.

The Sage 2 has totally different ergos than a crk or delica it's kind of chubby and uncomfortable to me.

The utility of the Delica is really hard to beat. It's a "convenient" knife. Easy to pocket, to open and close, to just throw around. Really great knife!

I just counted my Delicas, and found 14 of them. :eek: Its the one knife I would keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

endura5_zps28c0133f.jpg

Congrats, looks great.

Thanks Brother!

I carry a grey Delica FFG at work. I strayed and tried my new HK 14716 in D2. It only lasted one day until old faithful was back in my pocket. They are just awesome.

"Old Faithful"--I like that.

I'm with you. I EDC a small 21 a fair amount, but when my new gray Delica came in a couple months ago it got a solid 2 to 3 weeks in my pocket. Could never see myself without one and love that knife.

A very nice companion knife to the Seb--agreed!

I feel like we need a sticky called "I love my Delica". You stating how a $65 knife competes with a $400 knife for pocket time should really show the naysayers the excellence that Spyderco is producing. One suggestion I have is if you love the CRK's so much trying out a Sage 2. Ti frame lock just like the CRK but add the awesomeness of a Spydie hole, thumb ramp and finger choil. Welcome to the Spyderco addiction and I look forward to more discussion with you about a truly amazing knife company

It seems like the Delica really is the quintessential Spyderco to own.

That Delica looks fantastic in blue! I've got a green one in ZDP that has rapidly become my most-carried EDC blade.

I like the British Racing Green color as well.

The Sage 2 has totally different ergos than a crk or delica it's kind of chubby and uncomfortable to me.

The utility of the Delica is really hard to beat. It's a "convenient" knife. Easy to pocket, to open and close, to just throw around. Really great knife!

Agreed--it is nice to not really have to worry about--it's not super expensive so it is a bit easier to rough it up as necessary.

I just counted my Delicas, and found 14 of them. :eek: Its the one knife I would keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

Sweet pic Mr. Noodle. 14!?!? Who/what/where can one of those deep carry clips be located?

STR on the forum makes the Ti one that I have purchased. But several others do too for around $15-$28.

Glad I read this post. Thought I was the only one rocking the " Old Faithful" also having some other expensive knives that dont really come out of the drawer. I have the Grey FFG with theoriginalspaceman Ti clip. This knife kicked out my BM Grip. If you like the Endura 4 I recommed getting the Emerson Waved Version.

I bought a Delica 4 as something to carry and use as necessary this summer. After getting one of Casey's clips that knife has seen a ton of pocket time, sending some other well known, and considerably more expensive options to the drawer.

I had one of the Delica's with the molded plastic clips in the way back, and it was a good knife. Now, after a lot of other knives, I realize the 4 is a really, really good knife and an exceptional value. I'm so glad I picked one up, and I won't be without one again. I may get the ZDP version at sone point. I have a Dragonfly II in that steel, and I'm going to see how much more I get out of it than the VG-10. Part of the reason I bought the current Delica was some surface rust on a knife with

It's really kind of liberating to have a knife that performs and carries so well, and that you don't have to fuss over. I also really like the FRN more than I ever thought I would. Truth be told, that was holding me back on getting one before, but it's very secure and the light weight just makes for exceptional carry. I may well be in the minority, but I also like the Brown. Casey's bronze finish really helps that color out--IMHO.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 228
I guess I'll throw mine up, too! It's starting to show some character - like an old pair of boots. :D
16810499391_d0cea4ce91_c.jpg

Great pic!

I'm never without mine

Great pic too!

Glad I read this post. Thought I was the only one rocking the " Old Faithful" also having some other expensive knives that dont really come out of the drawer. I have the Grey FFG with theoriginalspaceman Ti clip. This knife kicked out my BM Grip. If you like the Endura 4 I recommed getting the Emerson Waved Version.

Many people seem to love "Old Faithful!"

Delica is short for Delectable in my opinion :)

Ken

Indeed!

I bought a Delica 4 as something to carry and use as necessary this summer. After getting one of Casey's clips that knife has seen a ton of pocket time, sending some other well known, and considerably more expensive options to the drawer.

I had one of the Delica's with the molded plastic clips in the way back, and it was a good knife. Now, after a lot of other knives, I realize the 4 is a really, really good knife and an exceptional value. I'm so glad I picked one up, and I won't be without one again. I may get the ZDP version at sone point. I have a Dragonfly II in that steel, and I'm going to see how much more I get out of it than the VG-10. Part of the reason I bought the current Delica was some surface rust on a knife with

It's really kind of liberating to have a knife that performs and carries so well, and that you don't have to fuss over. I also really like the FRN more than I ever thought I would. Truth be told, that was holding me back on getting one before, but it's very secure and the light weight just makes for exceptional carry. I may well be in the minority, but I also like the Brown. Casey's bronze finish really helps that color out--IMHO.

Well said sir.

I contacted theoriginalspaceman about his clips and it looks like I will be ordering the long version for my Delica.

Back