NASA Bushcraft; thoughts on design

Hello,

Following on from this thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1094938-Bushcraft-in-Full-Flat-Grind-S90V-!!!
I have been doing some sketches and modelling of blade shapes and geometries to go with the existing Bushcraft handle. I have made a bunch of knives that are variations on the theme of a flat ground blade on a Bushcraft style handle, but now that I am really thinking about the design I am starting to wonder whether the knife that I want to carry is the same one that you want to carry. ;):D

Recapping the basic premise: Design a knife the same size and thickness as the Bushcraft, same handle, but a full flat blade ground from a high performance stainless steel.

When the NASA Bushcraft was first discussed it sounded like just the kind of lighter weight, general purpose knife I and my friends would want to take on canoe trips, expedition to jungles or deserts and generally anywhere a wood handled, carbon bladed, bushcraft knife would get destroyed. However, the jobs it would be put to would be very similar; carving wood, light baton cutting and splitting, food slicing, shaving fire wood, and occasional small game prep. Not much slicing of really abrasive material like rope, cardboard, or bear skin!

For a long time the steel has been quoted as S90V, although I am not sure where this selection was first made. S90V is tough to sharpen, expensive, very corrosion resistant, and likes a fairly aggressive edge.

These characteristics are not exactly what I would have chosen for my own use. I like RWL34 / CPM154, BG42, 12C27 and D2 in about that order. I like to use my knives outdoors rather than cosset them at home, or work them in the urban environment, and I haven't played with any of the Mules that Sal has made available, so my perspective has limitations!

The jobs that I do, and the steels I like to use support a longish, shallow convex bevel. This longer bevel helps for wood work, but a high carbide content will make sharpening such a blade something of a pain. I also like a slightly beefier tip to stand up to boring holes.

• What do you guys envisage you would do with such a knife?
  • Is S90V right? There have been a bunch of Mules since the NASA concept was first raised.
  • What kind of edge and blade geometry have you been imagining when the discussion of the NASA Bushcraft has come up?

Last edited:
Oh, and just to make this a little more fun...
Here are pictures of those "variations on a theme" mentioned above. Most have ended up a bit deeper than the original design, and have a slightly higher point, although they share very similar point geometry.

The Original prototype.

I like S90V but for hard use and ease of field sharpening I'd prefer something more along the line of 3V or equivalent. Much more practical and purposeful, especially if you want to hang the Bushcraft label on it.
A FFG S90V would be nice but I'd like to see its condition after a weekend of batoning and drilling through hardwood then sharpening on a river stone. :eek:

Oh, it probably needs a new name too!

Someone suggested "SpaceCraft", which has a certain ring, but has anyone got any other suggestions ;)

Last edited:
I agree with you on the S90V bit. I don't see the need, hell, I have been getting by with AUS-6/AUS-8 lately in my EDC and they go for a while without needing a touch-up. Personally, I'd like CTS B75P/BG-42, CTS-XHP or CPM-154 for a FFG stainless bushcrafter. As for edge, I think what was on the Hossom series would work, I believe it was an FFG with a convexed bevel. That's held up well for me with woodwork and other outdoorsy stuff.

Also, for names, I think "SpaceCraft" sounds good. "MoonCraft" could also work too.

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with S90V, so I can't really comment on it except to say that it would make the knife rather unique. My two favorite steels are VG10 and BG42 either of which I think would work splendid.

I dont know steels so ill let Sal, Chris, and the serious steel guys have a go at best steel. I mainly would like very good corrosion resistance, holds a good durable edge, and can be sharpened fairly easily in the field if need be.

I would use this when its wet and cold when I'm quadding, hiking, quading, fishing, etc...Keep the Bushcraft with my GB Scandi axe and folding saw at camp.

Ive been thinking about wearing a fixed blade belt knife for EDC...this might be the winner for that.

I must admit I don't really see the benefits of S90V in a Bushcraft knife.. The only really abrasive stuff I slice outdoors is animal hide with sand/dirt etc., but a knife designed for skinning and hunting isn't ideal for working with wood..

I have a couple of customs in S35VN that work well for most outdoor tasks, but they have shallow convex grinds. Should work great with a flat grind and convex edge though..

I'd go for something with a bit more toughness than S90V for something like this..

PS! Love your knives Chris. The convex proto for the Bushcraft was hard to leave in Leeds :D

Chris, I'm a big fan of your Bushcraft knife, specifically the handle ergos and the control it provides on the blade. As others have said, S90V would be good, but in this case 3V or even 4V would be ideal. The handle material should be Carbon Fiber, and the grind would be nice to see a high flat grind (3/4 of the way up), not full. Or a high saber style grind. A convex edge would be essential for this to be a complete package for toughness on the cutting edge.

I love the blade shapes and the high FFG on the knives of yours pictured above! Let's get this party started! :thumbup::D

As others have said, S90V would be good, but in this case 3V or even 4V would be ideal. The handle material should be Carbon Fiber, and the grind would be nice to see a high flat grind (3/4 of the way up), not full. Or a high saber style grind. A convex edge would be essential for this to be a complete package for toughness on the cutting edge.

^ This sounds awesome to me.

As I recall from the other thread on this topic the sentiment was that a slicer with the Bushcraft handle would be highly desired.
S90V with a FFG is felt by many to have the highest practical performance for a production Spyderco slicing knife. Note that this would no longer be a bushcraft style knife it would simply have the handle of one. I do concur that a weather resistant handle is required for a stainless field knife.
There seem to be those that would like the original Bushcraft but made with a tougher alloy than O1, and in my mind that is a different knife than the one being discussed.
To those making comparisons to another Spyderco fixed blade in S90V I submit that I prefer the leaf shape over the trailing point profile.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, I've used my Bushcraft UK a lot, actually, it will be feautured in the new 2014 Spyderco calender.

what I would like in a 'Nasa' version

modern handle material, matt carbon fiber or titanium
a steel more resistant to rust
apple-seed grind

that way it would be a nice alternative to the traditional one in more wet environments and more slicing ability

How many does Sal want to sell? More expensive steel and handle materials might be nice but price is going to be an issue. I'd be happy with the same micarta handles as the Bushcraft and a blade made of O1 or VG10.

Back